Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A new Xterra coil?

Jeff (or)

Maybe this has been discussed before, or not. Why doesn't Minelab produce a 11" DD coil for the Xterra with the same physical design as the one that is offered with the Etrac? I would think it would have better performance that the 10.5 DD now offered, and would be lighter that the Coiltek 15" DD. Just a thought. Jeff

Jeff (or) said:
Maybe this has been discussed before, or not. Why doesn't Minelab produce a 11" DD coil for the Xterra with the same physical design as the one that is offered with the Etrac? I would think it would have better performance that the 10.5 DD now offered, and would be lighter that the Coiltek 15" DD. Just a thought. Jeff
What leads you to believe that the extra ½" is going to equate to better performance? Just curious.

Old Longhair said:
Jeff (or) said:
What leads you to believe that the extra ½" is going to equate to better performance? Just curious.

Common sense, why design/produce a new coil that would give inferior performance over what is now being offered?

Jeff (or) said:

Old Longhair

Jeff (or)
Common sense, why design/produce a new coil that would give inferior performance over what is now being offered?
In response to the initial question......Minelab did make a few 11" coils that are built similar to those used on the Etrac, CTX etc. In fact, I purchased a couple of the "prototypes" from an ebay seller a few years ago. The reason that they were not made commercially available is because the two people who were involved in field testing them (primarily in sea water) were not pleased with the performance. Since I live in the Midwest, I was not involved in this particular test. But as I said, I did purchase two of them from an ebay seller, who was either one of the testers or had received them from a field tester. :shrug: Bottom line is, in my opinion, they worked pretty well in the dirt I hunt in. But to get them to work as well as the others, I had to do some pretty "unusual tweaking" on both the ground phase and the Sensitivity. I passed that information on to the folks at Minelab, and I hope they are still working out the details.

In response to Old Longhair......you are absolutely correct. Making a coil that is 1/2" wider didn't necessarily provide better performance.

And in response to Jeff, again......your question is exactly why it wasn't offered. In the opinions of the field testers, the coil didn't provide better performance over the existing coils. As such, Minelab didn't release them to the public.

HH Randy

IMO Randy, if they were waterproof and worked out the bugs, that would have been sufficient improvement to warrant production.
Is there any weight difference between the 11" and same frequency 10.5"?

I have the coils now. I do wish that Minelab would produce the 11" "Pro" coil. They would have to work out any bugs, but not anymore than other projects that they have done. The 10.5DD coils are dated, they are the same mold that the Explorer coils are and they produced the Pro Coilstarting with the SE Pro and still use it for the CTX. 2 reasons upmost for most of us to make a X-Terra Pro Coil would be the weight difference and being waterproof. Really, they had Coiltek produce the Boat Anchor 15", so why not produce an improved coil for the X-Terras? Like Randy said they are tweeky as far as use go, but I find them just as effective. On the X-Terra 30 & 50 they really shine. On the 30 with fixed GB the 7.5DD is much better than the 10.5, almost as deep as the 70/705!!
Mark

I know I weighed them and wrote it down somewhere. I just can't remember the exact weights for either. But the prototypes had the same shell as the other 11" Pro Coils. After a few hours in the field, you can certainly tell the difference. JMO HH Randy