Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A nickel for my thoughts

samandnoah

Well, I finally did it. Or should I say, the Deus did it. In one of the 2 parks I hunt the most, I've found several wheat pennies. The other day I found a 1942 nickel and my first silver war nickel, a 1943. I was pretty stoked about that since it was my first silver coin out of this park.

Today I went for a short hunt before work, and I dug my first buffalo nickel! It's pretty toasted and can't tell a date yet. It was about 4"-5" deep. Then I found my first V nickel, a 1912! It was only about 4" deep. I am ecstatic. :) Also found another wheat penny that was a little over 6" deep.

Both hunts were with my new 11" coil using the 12 kHz deep coin program. Not sure I can ascribe the success to the new coil alone. I feel like I'm really listening more carefully and have taken to consciously cleaning the trash out of this section of the park that had yielded the previous wheat pennies. So as I dig more trash and odd signals, I'm finding more goods, and also paying attention to what I hear. The buffalo sounded and registered as a nickel, but that V nickel came in higher, more like a pop top tab. Both are bright orange from the soil, as was the 1942 nickel from the other day.

Will post pictures when I get a chance. Gotta love the Deus!
Rich

PS Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the orange color out? I don't think either one of these are worth much but sure would love to clean them up some!
Thanks,
Rich

If you clean them, they will lose value but it is your choice. Try with ammonia solution - hang a coin (using thin fishing line, for example) in a middle of solution in closed container (ammonia doesn't smell nice and can be toxic in high concentration). After a few hours wash gently between your fingers, if necessary, repeat.

That's some great success.
Keep hunting that spot and taking out the trash. I'm sure there should be some more silver there.
Check that V nickel for a mint "S" mark it's a $100+ coin in good condition.

Congrats on your finds.

HH

samandnoah said:
The buffalo sounded and registered as a nickel, but that V nickel came in higher, more like a pop top tab.

First, congrats on the war nickle!

I just had a similar thing happen with a deep V nickel just a few days ago. It was almost into the zinc penny / Indian Head range at it's peak, and a lot higher than I could explain. After I recovered it, I rescanned, thinking that I would surely have another coin.

Anyhow, it was one of those deals where it hit like a deeper coin and I've learned that even when the TID is off a bit, that digging the deep ones can be worthwhile.