Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Pleasant Surprise

GeorgeinSC

Yesterday I went to a Soccer field complex where last week I was told that I could detect as long as I did not go on the field of play. So I worked a while in a spectator area when a young man showed up and told me that I was trespassing and to get off the property. I told him what had happened last week and he said that he was sorry but that his superiors did not want anyone detecting as someone had gone on the fields, Dug holes and did not fill them back in.

Since I was there and he had no objections to me working the areas where people park ( I was needing to dig something out of the dirt) I went to work on the parking areas just to dig some clad. My finds for the past couple of weeks have poor at best. I have driven 85 mi round trip to a beach to work it for four hours and come home with 35 cents and four zinc pennies.

I had dug a few dollars in clad and memorial pennies and was just about finished with the area when I got a Very nice signal on my Sovereign GT. The meter gave me a 180 reading which confirmed what I was hearing in the headphones. I knelt down and using the pin pointer I discovered that the target was too big to be anything but trash so I thought that I would use a probe and see if it was an crushed aluminum can. When I probed I hit Solid metal so I popped it out of the dirt. Much to my surprise when it came out of the dirt I saw Silver. My First Silver half dollar. Only the Second Half that I have ever found and the other one was a 72 Kennedy.

A 1945D Walking Liberty Half Dollar in an area where one would only expect to find a little bit of clad. I dug one more target and went home. Just when one least expects it the Detecting Gods quit frowning and smile.

[attachment 302912 hope.jpg] [attachment 302913 maybe.jpg]

Way to go George. I have eye balled the soccer club and the YMCAs fields but I always chicken out because there is too many people around. I figured they would run MDers off. I have drove by there a dozen times and never seen any detecting. Parking lots can be good because thing fall out as people get out of there car. Thats a keeper sure for!

Nice one george,congrats... over the years i have found 3 silver half dollars all of them are walkers....they certainly are a beautiful coin...

Great surprise there George! Hope that helps ease the thoughts of the trips that didn't yield much. I have plenty of times that nothing turns up then followed a day or two later with a moment like you had with that walker. That's what makes detecting so addicting. You kept at at - that need to dig something :detecting:
HH - Bruce

Congrats. We both found our first this year (1 months ago) and it is the same year coin!!!

n/t

Man! You were really due for a nice score like that! :surprised: Great post about hunting that area that most would overlook...wonder how that old silver wound up there?
Mud

Mud I was at a city park a couple of days ago that I had hit a couple of years ago just to see what might turn up. Dug up a few dollars in clad and a couple pieces of junk jewelry.

One of the items I found was a chinese coin. I can find pictures of it on the net but no other info so far. How does a coin get from Communist China to the Low Country of South Carolina.

I think that is one of the many things that we enjoy about this hobby is trying to imagine how things that we find may have been lost and by whom.

George, I know right? What a cool Chinese coin and overall general strangeness!:rofl:

I think thats gotta be one of the best parts about our sport, when a fellow finds something that has no business of being there...and it makes a guy think, just how big this Planet is and how interesting people are to have dropped it?:..its a gosh darn mystery how both those coins you found got there, a Walker Half and a Chinese coin all right near your house in SC?..who knows? :shrug: Amazing and such a great sport!:clapping:
Mud