Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Question about the Silver microMax?

Whimpster

This question was asked from a member on another forum about the Silver microMax.

If I switch the Silver microMax to all metal, its measurably deeper if the disc knob is maxed. Does it on an air test also.

I assume the disc knob should have no affect while the switch is in all metal?

The quirk gets you two more inches on a Silver microMax by turning disc knob to max WHILE in the all metal mode.

I've tried it with my Silver microMax and it does indeed give me an extra 2" in depth:)

A delightful surprise...

Cheers,Bob

Air tests prove absolutely nothing. All detectors are judged by their ability to find objects in the earth and not blue sky. The ground balancing abilities-or absence off-proves their merits in relation to the job at hand. Retry your test in a test garden in the dirt and then the truth will unfold. John

The Silver [size=small]micro[/size]MAX [size=small](for those who don't know, it is labeled µMAX using the 'micro' symbol, not the letter 'u')[/size] is a silent-search, motion-based detector that lacks a true, conventional, Threshold-based All Metal mode. The "All Metal" selector switch action simply changes to what should be a non-adjustable All Metal Accept, or close to Zero Disc. setting. Thus it will respond to all metal objects, ferrous or non-ferrous.

The variably adjusted Discriminate mode uses the ED-120 Disc. circuitry which means at the minimum Disc. setting it will accept the upper 120° of the 180° of the detectable target range. Thus, iron nails and almost all ferrous targets will be rejected at the minimum setting. All Metal mode can be used to find more targets, including iron, and possibly assist a little with Pinpointing, but not like a true Threshold-based All Metal mode can.

In theory, the Discriminate control should be bypassed once you select the All Metal option with the toggle switch. However, as we have seen with some former Tesoro models [size=small](such s the Sidewinder microMAX and original Conquistador, to name only two)[/size] there could be a glitch in the circuitry design whereby the Disc. control can also shift the Ground Balance.

IF there is any increase in 'air test depth' with the Disc. control adjusted from minimum to maximum when toggled into the 'All Metal' function, then it would suggest the GB has been shifted more negatively than what the preset reference is. If that is the case, I would suspect the GB shift could be too negative for reliable performance in any higher mineralized environment in that search mode, or possibly even cause falsing and poor performance when in even mild-to-moderate ground mineral conditions.

My personal opinion is that the Disc. level control be left where it was during searching when you opt for the All Metal function. I can't check it out because I don't care for the Silver µMAX and therefore don't have one in my detector battery. However, out of curiosity, when I get my hands on one of those models I'll check it out.

Monte

Thanks for the response Monte...that does seem to make sense...I'd be curious to know your finding if you ever do pick up a Silver µMax:)

Thanks again,

Bob,

Monte said:
The Silver [size=small]micro[/size]MAX [size=small](for those who don't know, it is labeled µMAX using the 'micro' symbol, not the letter 'u')[/size] is a silent-search, motion-based detector that lacks a true, conventional, Threshold-based All Metal mode. The "All Metal" selector switch action simply changes to what should be a non-adjustable All Metal Accept, or close to Zero Disc. setting. Thus it will respond to all metal objects, ferrous or non-ferrous.

The variably adjusted Discriminate mode uses the ED-120 Disc. circuitry which means at the minimum Disc. setting it will accept the upper 120° of the 180° of the detectable target range. Thus, iron nails and almost all ferrous targets will be rejected at the minimum setting. All Metal mode can be used to find more targets, including iron, and possibly assist a little with Pinpointing, but not like a true Threshold-based All Metal mode can.

In theory, the Discriminate control should be bypassed once you select the All Metal option with the toggle switch. However, as we have seen with some former Tesoro models [size=small](such s the Sidewinder microMAX and original Conquistador, to name only two)[/size] there could be a glitch in the circuitry design whereby the Disc. control can also shift the Ground Balance.

IF there is any increase in 'air test depth' with the Disc. control adjusted from minimum to maximum when toggled into the 'All Metal' function, then it would suggest the GB has been shifted more negatively than what the preset reference is. If that is the case, I would suspect the GB shift could be too negative for reliable performance in any higher mineralized environment in that search mode, or possibly even cause falsing and poor performance when in even mild-to-moderate ground mineral conditions.

My personal opinion is that the Disc. level control be left where it was during searching when you opt for the All Metal function. I can't check it out because I don't care for the Silver µMAX and therefore don't have one in my detector battery. However, out of curiosity, when I get my hands on one of those models I'll check it out.

Monte