Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A question from a beginner

Evening all,
My local MD club invited me out last Sunday on a club hunt. I had a blast and my Silver micro was beeping all morning, I found 2' pipe , fence wire and other junk, 1 penny and an old ice tea can that was buried pretty deep. All these items sounded loud, clean and consistent. I would like to know if i should be able to notice a difference in the sound over these items. It all sounded the same tone to me , so i dug everything that rang out loud. I was hunting in all metal and once I got a hit I would toggle to discriminate and if it was still good I dug the item.
I am really liking this hobby, I came back so relaxed and excited that found stuff.

Sorry about the question but I am still a newbe.

Guy.

Till your more experienced with the machine try hunting with discrimination. Do an air test on all kinds of coins and objects so you know where they hit at. I myself would dig all loud targets , but would dig some faint targets for the potential of old Silver coins too...

It can take some time to develop an ear for what the detector tells you. With the Silver

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I am playing more with it now trying to do the air test. This is so much fun.

Go hit the library and do some research. Find out were the old one room school houses were out in the country, rodeo grounds, sports days, basically any event that got people together years ago. R.M. (Rural Municipality) maps are very helpful to locate the present land owners name. Get permission and go for it. The crops will be off the fields soon and this is a good time of the year for detecting, when you find an interesting spot. The less discrimination you run the better your chances. Or, you could turn it just below nickel and go hard for older coins. There are many answers, many settings, many choices. I found it easier to learn my machine out at the old one room school houses and or farm fields. There were less targets and I could take the time to figure out how my machine sounded with each find.

Sitting Bull said:
Evening all,
My local MD club invited me out last Sunday on a club hunt. I had a blast and my Silver micro was beeping all morning, I found 2' pipe , fence wire and other junk, 1 penny and an old ice tea can that was buried pretty deep.
Congrats on getting out detecting, and the more you do the better you'll learn the Silver

Monte said:
If the 'All Metal' function is selected, it is NOT a true, threshold-based All Metal mode. Instead, it is a motion-based Discrimination mode with the acceptance close to an ED-180 setting. It will not respond to ALL metal targets as there are some very low conductors that will not be accepted.

Ah yes! Monte is correct. My apologies for suggesting sizing a target with all metal mode. You can get a reasonable sense of the target size, but not quiet the same as with a threshold based all metal. I should have pulled up a copy of the manual to refresh my memory rather than rushing the post.

Ask away and let us know what you are discovering. And when you get conflicting answers, keep in mind that we are all human, don't all observe the same, have the same experiences or research with the same precision nor detect in the same ground conditions!
Cheers,
tvr

Thanks again for all the feedback and advice guys,
I understand that practice will make me better. But like everything I try I want to be good right now. It's a bad trait I have. As long as it keeps beeping I will be happy to dig.

tvr said:
And when you get conflicting answers, keep in mind that we are all human, don't all observe the same, have the same experiences or research with the same precision nor detect in the same ground conditions!
Cheers,
tvr

So true. This should be in bold at the top of every forum. :detecting:

Sitting Bull, somebody has been using a shovel and digging up huge shallow sod chunks in Edmonton parks giving the hobby a black eye. Please inform anyone that you see doing this to use a small hand digger and to learn how to cut plugs properly. I trust that you will pass the message on. ;) If John Edmonton catches them, they may need to remove a boot to defecate.