Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A rookie mistake?

54shooter

Well here I go again. Is it common when learning on my Sovereign Elite to get what I think is a really good sounding high tone to dig a 3" piece of iron? I'm running in disc and thought that I wasn't supposed to hear iron. This seems to be the bulk of the deeper targets that I dig. After recovering the iron I think that I should be able to re sweep the hole and get another tone, but it never happens. Thanks again for any help.:)

Any machine will fool you on iron sometimes. Just the nature of the best in detectors, but I will say if I choose not to dig iron I can pretty much spot a false iron coin hit. With more experience you'll learn the suttle sounds, VDI, and other traits of iron. It often has a ghostly sound to it even when giving a coin signal, and will not repeat as easily often, and will usually null all the rest of the way around it. But, you've got to dig those "iron" signals when they pop up and hint with a coin high tone in order to learn what could can can't be a possible coin. Even still, at a pounded out site I'll dig the signals I'm sure are iron giving a false coin hit because no machine can always tell you for certain it's iron and not a badly masked coin. With time you can weed out the ones you are sure are iron, but many are borderline and still yet even the ones you "know" are going to be iron might be actually a coin. The Iron Mask feature of the Sovereign has me digging way less iron than I ever did on other machines, but even it can get fooled here and there. That's when you have to use your ears and eyes, as that should always be the final factor it what you deem dig worthy.

Some people will switch to pin point mode and see if the "coin" moves, and often that indicates it's iron. I don't like trusting that myself, because pin point mode could be dragging you away from a real coin and showing you the nearby iron, making you believe it's a false coin hit. I prefer to use my ears and my eyes (does the VDI climb in some form of fashion or is it bouncing around randomly, indicating probable junk).

I don't have a vdi but I'm starting to think that would help me in the learning curve as I've seen so much info on how to learn the #'s on this site.

When iron is badly rusted it leaches into the surrounding soil and creates a halo that sounds good, but once you bust the halo it usually breaks up the sound. Ever dig a signal and have it disappear? That could be the explanation.

Yes I have and never knew why.

Another thing I have found is to go by the size of a signal as well. Most of the rusty bottle caps I have found that sounded (albeit, questionably) like a coin were a lot bigger than real coins.

ya big flat Iron will give a good sound ,

For sure, on every machine I've ever owned the higher you ride sensitivity the more prone it is to giving false coin hits on iron. Even the Sovereign will do that, though it's excellent Iron Mask does a far better job at ingoring iron that I've personally experienced.