Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A short hunt on Saturday 05/24/08

leesumm

A while back a friend of mine gave me permission to hunt on her property and also on her brothers property.(in writing). Yesterday with nothing to do the wife and I load up the 4 wheeler and all the gear and head up on top of a mountain here in Arkansas where we live .The lady's property is just a short distance outside the city limits here but still on a mountain. We went to an area where she said there used to be an old cabin in a clearing. All we could find were hugh boulder type rocks in a fashion that resembled a foundation . I got out the MD and almost immediately started getting hits. I dug a lot of nails. Big round heavy nails that had been the ground several years . The area didnt look to be excavated with machinery or anything. Then I got a hit and dug an old Mason jar lid, the zink on piece type that had that milk glass cover under it . The glass had been crushed and was in itty bitty pieces to small to pick up. But I did recover one piece that wasnt broken but only in half (picture posted here) . Then I hit another "something" this time it was metal , very heavy and looked like a gob of metal that had been melted and dropped on the ground . Picture posted also. I took a knife and tried to scrape it but very hard but very bright where I scraped. Then we started to find glass like gobs of things where we were digging.
Later I called the lady and asked her if she had any idea of what used to be there and told her what I found. She told me there used to be a colony of sorts there in the 1800's and thought there used to be a broom factory there then.
My question is this. If the rements had been piled up and burned, can glass melt into the gobs shown ? and have dirt, metals. etc . inside. ? And did they or not use brass back in the 1800's to where there might have been some reason for a gob of brass to have been on the ground ?
The way the pics uploaded , the first is the collection found , the second is one piece of what looks like melted glass, the third is the metal piece I think to be brass.
Attached Thumbnails

If these logs or wood structures were burnt as that looks like the fires would have been extremely hot. Some metals would have melted like those gobs you found. Glass also would end up that way. You'll likely have to hunt away or close to this location. Their has to be some information of this site in library ,local museum or town offices. Their may even be some old photos in the historical society of the local county.:garrett: