Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A special DEUS easter egg

Hauptmann aD

There was a rainy weekend, and my spouse told me "You have to get some sand, our granddaughter is coming."
Well, I didn't like it, but had to go anyway. (On Sunday late afternoon!)
Arrived at the sandpit and filled the washing bowl. Rain almost stopped by now, I had taken my detector with me and near the sandpit was a 5th century graveyard located.
Of course, already emptied in last century by archaeologists and later by a multitude of detectorists, so I didn*t expect much more than some fresh air walk.
So it was almost unexpected as I dug out some piece of a fibula - but what do we do to make our archaeologists happy.
IMG_20210328_214917.jpg

Time went away and the time came to return to the car. Less than 20 meters from the street another signal. Grabbing the dirt felt already a little bit heavier than normal - and then there was it - a fine piece of wire. (You can bet I had a long planned date with my archaeologist the next day and it went away.)
IMG_20210328_214624.jpg
IMG_20210328_214638.jpg
5D3_8509.CR2.jpg

And while I was looking for the remains of the wire piece, I found that nice livery button.
IMG_20211102_003343_edit_1378652210012549.jpg

Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

So what are they??? I know one can get gold rope for jewelry making but what would a bunch of those be for??? Curious minds need to know…..

Nice finds I believe a lot of gold was made in a chain form to avoid taxes and tariffs as it was then called “jewelry “I know that’s the case with a lot of the Spanish chains found on wrecks..
Mark

The link didn't keep the info with the picture I posted. I think it is Celtic ring money. Rings were formed from gold as well as bronze and were actually used as currency by the Celts and other populations. The time period would be Bronze age {1200 bc} foreword. An astonishing find!
HH Jeff

This golden ring was either jewelry (the slightly pointed end piece could hint in that direction) or a way to keep material in a form which allowed the gold smith to take pieces from it as needed (the broken end could be a hint for this theory, but this could also be from being worked in the ground).

Definitely jewelry was this former ring from gold wire which I found in 2017, on Easter Monday with the Deus.

5D3_3603.jpg
Only the right side end is still in original form, the other spirals have been pulled apart by the plough.
This piece is dated back into Bronze age.

But believe it or not - most of the wires I find are the usual scrap pieces.
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf