Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A thread I posted on our California forum on the T-2,

Paul (Ca)

Here's a post I made on another forum end of last month, It appears Scott and I noticed the same with the smaller conductors reading as a higher signal on the T-2 which I shared with a forum here in California.....Several other detectors including the Explorer create the same illusion but due to the T-2 responding to tiny signals will enhance the smaller low conductors to read as a deep high coin signal....As a relic hunter, I can deal with the T-2 responding to the smaller conductors which to me is a benefit enabling the T-2 to respond to coins or smaller relics on edge, better separation amongst iron masking and enhances the weaker signals to come in stronger.

Now, Remember the thread below is a copy of a post I made end of last month on another forum.....As I said on that thread, The T-2 is the best relic detector I have ever used for California soil and this may not apply for other states, we have tough soil here not even the Tejon, X-5 or Nautilus 2B can handle our ground. ....Like Scott, I've tested all types of detectors here in California and so far the T-2 is the best Relic detector for our soil. That's the only area "Relic hunting" I plan on using the T-2, No detector can surpass the T-2 on separation for older iron masked sites.

One question if anyone can answer, Any smaller coils coming out for the T-2?

I have no regret to buying the T-2, Best relic detector for our California soil. HH, Paul

Hello Forum friends,

Well....Have about 12 hours on the T-2 now and still see the unit as one of my main detectors, just a few issues I feel may be a disadvantage depending on the user but over all the positives far surpass the minor negative....Also had the pleasure of hunting with 925 bill and Tom Tanner yesterday at an old site of Toms, Thanks Tom for the quickie hunt at the pounded site and Bill and Greg for those two neat old relic detectors.

One issue that may be a disadvantage for deep silver turf hunters is the T-2 sees the much smaller conductors which is good for relic, gold jewelry and nugget hunters but for deep silver some of these smaller targets fool the T-2 reading as a deep coin signal. I haven't spend time out in the field searching for deep turf silver with the T-2 but do know it'll get a deep coin as deep or deeper than the Explorer only you're going to dig some more smaller surface signals, The Explorer gets fooled as well on these smaller size signals but not as much as the T-2 gets fooled.

Another issue, When jewelry hunting the tone set-up for this type of hunting will create the nickel signal to give off a high tone signal same as pennies, dimes and quarters. This set-up works well for coin hunting but not for jewelry as now the user needs to peek at the ID meter when a signal is alarmed.

The third issue, Well....I forgot what it was sitting here typing this thread.....It's an important one so I know it'll come back to me once I use the T-2 again.

However, For a relic machine hands down it's the best relic detector I've used in California, Handles our San Joaquin valley soil well including the soil up in the Coastal range as I experienced yesterday at tom's site....Tom,, You guys have it easy up in your area as the T-2 read your ground in the 50's which is very good hunting ground compared to our area here in the valley which reads in the 70's-80's...The T-2 has a feature that allows the detector to read and show the mineral levels, This feature is a great indicator informing the T-2 user how high to run the sensitivity.

Not trying to push the T-2 on anyone for I have not tested the unit out for deep coin turf hunting and it should do well except for the fact it's going to fool you on those tiny size conductors coming in as a deep coin, Those of you serious relic hunters will enjoy the T-2 if you'll ok with manual ground balancing throughout your hunt as the ground changes depending on the location. Those of you not familiar with a manual ground balance detector think twice about buying a unit without the auto tracking feature or most common type fixed GB.....The T-2 is for those that don't mind manual ground balancing throughout the hunt and sort of the dig all type of signals person, It may not be the detector for those wanting a turn on a go detector.

Yesterday, It fared the same as Tom's Explorer at the old site. I still need more in field use on the T-2 to fully understand what the unit is telling me to determine how to read the signals that can and will fool even the best hunters showing as a good signal yet turns out to be iron or tin....Over all, the T-2 will hold it's own going against the Explorer....Depth wise, It's as deep or a little deeper than the Explorer.

I like the unit, As Lodi Tom and I shared last night over the phone the Explorer will be the unit to use first "if a user has both the Explorer & T-2" at an old site or demo and after clearing out what appears to be all the finds switch to the Tekentics and the T-2 will pull out the rest.

See you in 10 days Lodi tom and Stockton Bob, Looking forward to using the T-2 in your area.

Below are a few finds from Toms old site, A couple of broken buckles and what I believe is a part to a musket rifle based from my Dixie-gun-book. I've found one of these before at another site here in the valley that gave up musket balls and powder flask parts..

Thanks everyone for looking,
Paul

One question if anyone can answer, Any smaller coils coming out for the T-2?

There is a smaller coil on the back burner. The T-2 has only been out for a couple of months, and they need to do a little catching up first.

Those of you not familiar with a manual ground balance detector think twice about buying a unit without the auto tracking feature or most common type fixed GB..

The T-2 does have a set ground balance, and a auto ground balance mode. It's set when you first turn it on, and one can use the automatic quick grab mode with the toggle switch.

If your in a iron trash site one may find better results if you were to use the 1 or 2 tone ID rather than the other ID tones. It has to do with the averaging, and not averaging the signals. The unit reverts to averaging the target signals when one goes beyond 2 tones.

Have fun

Hello Mr. Bill,

Yes, I'm aware of the pre-set ground balance and quick grab mode, I should have mentioned this on my thread. I fancy the automatic quick grab mode which is easily preformed throughout the hunt, Even compared it with the Manual ground balance mode and both the auto quick grab mode and Manual GB are so close almost dead even each time.

As for tone and other feature setups here are my settings for relic hunting,

(Tone) Prefer the 2+ mode.....Allows the iron signals to ring in as a low tone and anything above as the second tone,
(Use Discrimination mode) Set to zero hear it all set-up,
(Sensitivity) Adjust according to what ground allows,
(Ground Balance) Use the automatic G.C. Phase for computer-assisted ground balance, Find it quicker and dead-on for most parts of our Ca. soil,

For a large coil it sure gets great separation in iron trashy sites plus gets the depth when pockets of open areas between the litter of square nails opens up, Maybe a smaller coil is not necessary?

Very good relic detector, Thanks Bill for the reply.
Paul

I have a solution to the high readings on deep iron and smaller targets. I thought this was a problem until I hunted the same area with the EX II. The Explorer will ring a high tone on deep iron and debris as well. I use a periscope probe and can id iron before I dig a 7-10" hole. The only drawback right now, is, the ground is bone dry and hard packed. Same solution for me on the bottlecap issue, on the T-2 it'll read like a coin, but, hitting it with the periscope, reads iron. I'm very pleased with the T-2 for coin and jewelry hunting, I do plan on testing it for nugget and relic hunting very soon.

Hello Dan,

You're right, All top end detectors create the illusion of a deep coin on deep iron or bits of debris. Somehow it appears the T-2 has more than it's share but that's to be expected for a detector so sensitivity to smaller conductors, That's the trade off capturing finds others walk over.

I used to have a periscope, Wish I'd never sold her for it was a great probe eliminating false digging. Maybe I'll get another trading off a used detector for one.

HH, Paul

Hello Dave,

I'm spoiled with the DD coils but if a concentric coil will help eliminate the smaller signals from fooling the user then this may be the best route, Since I don't hunt for deep turf coins anymore I'm ok with the tiny targets coming in as a deep signal while relic hunting.

Say, Aren't you the DFX guy? That's a good machine too just too many adjustments for me.

HH, Paul

Hello Doug,

So far my finds with the t-2 have been slim which is too be expected from pounded sites, I'll just list them here.

One date less Indian penny,
One Chinese coin,
One buffalo nickel,
two old 1850's pieces of buckles
Part of a Musket rifle part,
Pistol balls and musket ball,
Smaller copper and brass relics,

Not much to show for but coming from pounded sites these are very good finds,

HH, Paul

Yup still use the dfx.Don't do much adjusting anymore.Have 4 programs saved that cover just about all my sites.I juat load and go.Takes about 10 seconds to load however before I can start hunting.Guess i'll just ahve to deal with it.Dave