Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A trick to help identify crown bottlecaps

Finder82

Here is a video i made a while ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhacbtS9qcI&feature=plcp
Crown bottlecaps tend to sound very good and give a nice id number with detectors, that use DD coils, here is a little trick to better identify those pesky crown caps.

You can notice in the video, that the detector tone starts to sound irony, when i sweep the crown cap with the tip portion of the DD coil, also the id numbers start to break up.

If i do this trick with the buried silver ring or with a other good target, the good target sound and the id numbers dont chance like the crown cap was doing. This trick works wonders in modern places with lots of trash targets, i dont use it in the older places, because there are not too many crown caps to worry about.

I hope this little trick will help other Xp Deus users better avoid those caps.:thumbup:

As Finder82 said, the software and the FBS circuit pays a factor in the way Minelab's respond to bottle caps compared to other units . . . and this is the beauty of different detectors - they each see into the ground in a different manner, some significantly different while some just slightly but it is this difference that allow users to find targets that previous hunters have missed.

As far as the bottle cap issue, you are correct in that if you use the same search process as you might with a Minelab that you will get frustrated in how they are detected . . . but there are settings you can make and techniques you can use that will virtually all but eliminate them from coming through.

When I first started with the Deus, I got a tad frustrated at an old picnic site that was littered with these trash targets but they had not been an issue with the detector I had used there before. Some experimenting, exchanging communications with UK Deus users and a few return tricks allowed me to hunt there with almost no caps being recovered yet a number of coins coming to light from spots where you could tell there was ferrous in or adjacent to the hole.

Finder82 put up a great video here that shows how he is able to identify caps and the process works . . . . . . it's definitely worth watching and if the bandwidth is an issue, try to swing by a library or a friend's house to see what he is sharing.

Settings that are effective in this area are:

1) bumping the SILENCER option up to "3" or "4"
2) avoiding the 18 kHz frequency (see what the frequency is if you opt for a specific preset program)
3) checking the response in the Non Motion Audio Discrimination mode when you go to pinpoint the target
4) the technique described in the video

The problem with switching to any new detector is that you are often coming from a "pair of broken in comfortable shoes" and trying on a "stiff pair" that initially is uncomfortable to wear . . . . when you have 100's of hours on a detector and know exactly what she is telling you, you have to learn en entire new language to get to that same level of comfort in the field and the Deus requires exactly that.

Andy

I made a new video about a silver ring and a rusty bottlecap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q88K4gns8aU&feature=youtu.be

I dont need to use the silencer feature to be able to identify bottlecaps, but as you can see in the video, the Deus can identify rusty bottlecaps just fine.:clap: