Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A used Golden uMax

Whimpster

I just bought a used golden uMax and I'm wondering if there is a way to test the machine to see if it's tones are still in factory spec's?
I know that some are tinkered with and me being a new owner...never used one before, I'm wondering if I'm starting out with a golden in proper tone spec....or is it out of wack before I start to learn the language?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks HH

I'm not sure if the tones can be out of spec. but the notch width dial kind of slides the tones around so you can adjust them for what you are trying to find.
You use that dial in conjunction with the narrow and wide notch switch.
The old tones model assigns the tones in order of conductivity from low to high.
The New Tones model they took the nickel out of order and assigned it a higher tone.
Hope I explained that in a way that is understandable.
Bryan

Thanks Bryan for the info....my golden is a old tone detector and I wasn't sure what to expect when it came to tones...I understand it's the two mid tones that are adjustable with the wide and narrow dial,and the notch switch cuts out some pulltabs in narrow and another type of pulltaps in wide.
I'm just not sure how to set it up to start...I have no manual for it as well.

Thanks HH

Bryan V said:
I'm not sure if the tones can be out of spec. but the notch width dial kind of slides the tones around so you can adjust them for what you are trying to find.
You use that dial in conjunction with the narrow and wide notch switch.
The old tones model assigns the tones in order of conductivity from low to high.
The New Tones model they took the nickel out of order and assigned it a higher tone.
Hope I explained that in a way that is understandable.
Bryan

I have an Old Tones also.
I just used a nickel, a pile of different pull tabs and some gold rings and started adjusting the notch width until
I found a nice ballence of discrimination and acceptance for the targets I wanted.
It's a pretty neat little detector. I put a clean sweep on mine and its amazingly fast at covering ground.
Only got a chance to use it once before it snowed but I was pretty impressed.
I'm just going to leave the clean sweep on and use it as a sports field detector.
Bryan

Manual on tesoro.com. I have the new tone model. To get 4 tones on either version set discrimination to minimum, notch on and adjust Width to get clear sound on a nickel.

Bryan,

Mine should be here tomorrow...I also ordered a 3x18 clean sweep coil for it.
I'm excited can't wait to get out with it and see how it does..I'm in the same boat ...snow and cold weather has put a damper on my metal detecting here in Nova Scotia:)
I'll probably bend your ear again as I go through the learning stages....mine is the old tone as well.
Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me on the golden...

Cheers Bob. HH

Bryan V said:
I just used a nickel, a pile of different pull tabs and some gold rings and started adjusting the notch width until
I found a nice ballence of discrimination and acceptance for the targets I wanted.
It's a pretty neat little detector. I put a clean sweep on mine and its amazingly fast at covering ground.
I'm just going to leave the clean sweep on and use it as a sports field detector.
Bryan

Dan,

Yes found the manual on Tesoro's web site....
Thank you for the update...

Cheers Bob. HH

dan h said:
Manual on tesoro.com. I have the new tone model. To get 4 tones on either version set discrimination to minimum, notch on and adjust Width to get clear sound on a nickel.

Hey AJ

I've been on oak island over the years because of my work....Last time I was there it was just a large junkyard...trash everywhere from the previous treasure hunters.
It's sense been cleaned up and this last group has it locked down pretty tight...makes for a good tv show...their spending money to find whats down there......
Has to be something to it...you don't put that kind of work into a hole back a couple hundred years ago with out a dam good reason...is it treasure..that's the million dollar question!!
Sure does have a TV following:)

It's a nice area to visit...come see us sometime...

Cheers Bob

amberjack said:
always head over to oak island :lmfao: are those guys for real or what??

AJ

Don't know oak island, but canoe to cup o' soup island for gum wrappers & rusty fish hooks! Wher can I get my hands on a decent golden umax? UF

Bryan,

Think I have the golden zeroed in now on the tones....would you mind sharing your setting with me...I'd like to try them with my 3x18 clean sweep coil:)

Thanks again, Bob

Bryan V said:
Bryan

Whimpster I just got my Golden and just did some tests on it. Its serial number 131,933.

It clearly has four tones. This one can separate a copper from a zinc penny(middle tones). I don't have any pulltabs in hand so playing around with the notch widths is something I will have to do later on.
I will say Im impressed also with the all metal mode, it hits this real small 18k chain I have better than the compadre I had set at all metal. I don't know if the two are the same(the two all metal modes) but Im guessing they are not. Having an adjustable threshold is something I like also.

This didn't come with a manual, is there a place I can download one?

Thank you,
Neil

If your looking for a Golden uMax manual Neil...on line at the Tesoro site....

http://www.tesoro.com/info/manuals/older/goldenumax/goldenumaxmanual.html

Whimpster said:
Bryan,

Think I have the golden zeroed in now on the tones....would you mind sharing your setting with me...I'd like to try them with my 3x18 clean sweep coil:)

Thanks again, Bob

Bob I only had a chance to take my Golden out on one hunt last fall before we got buried in snow,
so I am far from an expert on it.
I think I settled on a Notch Width setting somewhere between 12 and 1 on the dial, with disc on minimum.
I used all three Notch settings, Narrow, Wide and Off while hunting just see how they all worked.
This spring I plan on spending more time learning the Golden. It really performed well with the Clean Sweep.
The speed at which you can cover ground was a real eye opener.

Bryan

Bryan,

I'm in the same boat...winter has hit with a vengeance....haven't been able to get out with the golden yet...so I'm stuck testing in the man cave until better weather.
I've read most of Mike Hillis post on the golden...it's been a big help. Also with your help I've been able to now make a nickle disappear in the narrow notch which I couldn't do... before adjusting the tone pot..
I find that my settings with notch switch off is about 10:30 to 11:00...if I switch to narrow I still have my nickle tone but loose some of the pull tab tones....switch to wide and the zinc penny tone is gone along with pull tabs.
Think I'll start with the notch switch off for now until I understand the golden better....
As for the 3x18 clean sweep coil..I'm itching to get it to a park and see what it does....
One thing I'll say it's not that good on Canadian...our coins...they sound flute..the newer ones are made of multi metals with a steel core on most of them now...I find the single tone Tesoros much better for finding Canadian clad.
The golden give a nice tone on US clad though:)
Keep me posted on your progress and I'll do the same.

Thanks again,Bob

quote="Bryan V"]
Whimpster said:
Bryan,

Thanks again, Bob

Bob I only had a chance to take my Golden out on one hunt last fall before we got buried in snow,
so I am far from an expert on it.
I think I settled on a Notch Width setting somewhere between 12 and 1 on the dial, with disc on minimum.
I used all three Notch settings, Narrow, Wide and Off while hunting just see how they all worked.
This spring I plan on spending more time learning the Golden. It really performed well with the Clean Sweep.
The speed at which you can cover ground was a real eye opener.

Bryan[/quote]

Whimpster said:
Hey AJ

I've been on oak island over the years because of my work....Last time I was there it was just a large junkyard...trash everywhere from the previous treasure hunters.
It's sense been cleaned up and this last group has it locked down pretty tight...makes for a good tv show...their spending money to find whats down there......
Has to be something to it...you don't put that kind of work into a hole back a couple hundred years ago with out a dam good reason...is it treasure..that's the million dollar question!!
Sure does have a TV following:)

It's a nice area to visit...come see us sometime...

Cheers Bob

amberjack said:
always head over to oak island :lmfao: are those guys for real or what??

AJ

Thanks for that info on Oak Island Bob

I just watched this weeks episode and looks like they find something in the next hole but have to wait till next week..

I guess a lot of the funds would come from selling the show?

I been watching it from the start.

I also watched snake island and in the end they did very well chasing legends so you just never know really.

they sure deserve something for all the hard work looking forward tot the show next week.

thanks again for the story.

AJ