Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A very deep needle in a haystack. My deepest ever,:thumbup:

Hotcz70

I was very excited when Big Digger (Brad) told me the corn had been harvested and we could now get to our favorite field for the first time since last year.

However he also told me the stalks had not been worked...were close together...and almost knee high.

This was okay with me because even though the finds rarely pop out anymore here...IF they do...they're either barber or seated.

Last season I hunted here for the first time thanks to Brad getting permission for us.

Before my first hunt at the field I ran into a few fellers' who said they had been hunting this "new to me" site for many years and that the finds had dried up for them.

They also told me what kind of Detectors they ALL were using...and they were not Minelab...and were also not Explorers...so I was very confident that Brad, Dave, and I could squeeze out a few more keepers.

To sum up last years 5 different hunts at this "hunted out" field for me.....16 Injuns'...7 Barber dimes...4 seated dimes...1 Seated Half Dime...1 Barber Quarter...and a gold ring.

Hunt #6 last year gave up ZERO coins for the 3 of us but there was also a lot of area that we could not get to because of the bean stubble...row positioning...big clods...etc.

I was hopefully optomistic about possibly squeaking out another keeper or two this season.

When I got there I realized how tough it was actually going to be to swing a coil between the narrow rows and close, high stalk stubble as this first pic of Herky shows.

[attachment 245419 fieldhunt2012j.jpg]

However the ground between the rows was absolutely smashed flat from the combine doing it's work...and this also raised the stalk roots up and out of the way somewhat... so a small coil could be effectively worked between the stalks and rows.

It would be very tedious work with a small coil...but it was the only way I could hunt the field.

I also have complete confidence at hitting extreme depths with my "old skool" 6" Excelerator coil and could work it inbetween the stalk stubble as well as between the rows.

After 3 full hours of silence and bending down only once to dig a nickel sounding hit...I finally got a very deep, high warble from the SE while I was working the 6" coil around and inbetween each and every corn stalk on each side of the row I was walking. It was repeating from every angle...and the depth meter was pegged at the bottom.

I dug down...then dug some more before running the probe.

I was now down right at 7" and the probe was telling me the target was a few inches deeper still.

I even let my best buddy Hercules listen to it.:clapping:

[attachment 245418 fieldhunt2012i.jpg]

I carefully started scraping away dirt until I caught the glimpse of the surface of a dark black disc...and I will honestly say it was laying almost perfectly flat.

I then stuck my Lesche Digger in the hole and touched the surface of the disc so I could measure the depth of it.

The ring I have marked around the handle of my Lesche digger at the 10" mark was exactly aligned with the flat surface of the ground where I dug my hole.

I can honestly say this is my first ever 10" deep coin dug while using the 6" Excelerator coil...so I'm pretty stoked.

[attachment 245413 fieldhunt2012d.jpg] [attachment 245414 fieldhunt2012e.jpg]

I've dug a lot of 9" deep coins over the years with this coil...but up until this point had never dug a true 10" deep one.

[attachment 245415 fieldhunt2012f.jpg] [attachment 245416 fieldhunt2012g.jpg]

[attachment 245417 fieldhunt2012h.jpg]

A little while later I rescued a dark brown Injun' from 8"...and if you look closely at the top of the dark clod...you'll see it sticking out.

[attachment 245411 fieldhunt2012b.jpg] [attachment 245412 fieldhunt2012c.jpg]

What was strange about the Injun' is that it's the first one from here that has come out of the ground this color. The last 16 all came out corroded and nasty...and in fact I didn't even bother trying to clean them as a date was not even feasable on any of them. I could barely tell they were even Injuns' unless I examined most of them closely and noticed a feather on the front or the wreath on back.

So all in all a wonderful, peaceful hunt that I won't forget...as I found my first 10" deep coin with a small coil...a seated dime with my 6" Excelerator.

Awesome job of patience and dedicated detecting Fine Sir ...........

Thank you for the fine Story !!!

n/t

and I might ad---they couldn't have been made by a nicer guy & more dedicated person to this great hobby.-----That 6" Excellerator coil has certainly served you well for several years--and now a 10" dime recovered with it---amazing!------Thanks for sharing that story & the pictures my friend. :thumbup:------------Del

I am a lurker here, but just want to say I really like the pictures. Nice finds, too. :thumbup: HH jim tn

Bryce, really good story and great finds! Fantastic depth with that little trash coil too. Unheard of in a coil 6" or smaller coil for sure far as I've ever read over the years.

Now to the important stuff. Must say the pics of Herc are great. Wearing the headphones really brought a smile to my face. That's just some really heart warming pics of your best buddy.

I don't know if I tune into your posts these days more for the finds, the coil field tests, or just to see what Herc is up to. :biggrin: Well, you know the answer to that. Tell Herc to keep up the good work writing such great stories for you. :clap:

That is a sweet find, that coil kicks butt. I will only ever get rid of mine if I stop using a Minelab and I don't see that happening anytime soon. :minelab:

Nice job on the Seated silver Bryce. That little 6" coil worked
its magic for you again. :thumbup: Gold Nuggets :wiggle:

Bryce,always great to see someone figure out a way to search a difficult area and make it produce well.Even though I'm a Sovereign hunter my Explorer is used to get that deep silver in some very hard worked parks.Got to get one of those 6 inch coils.Thanks Ron

lol Bryce I love the picture of your dog with the headphones. Your dog must be the first in history to understand what the Explorer warble is all about :) Beautiful coins too! I am still waiting on my first seated coin. Keep up the great work and posts - Jim

I even let my best buddy Hercules listen to it

Not sure what happened to my original post maybe I deleted it by accident lol, so I'll try again Nice story and a fine recovery on that dime. By the way NICE DOG!!

That's some excellent hunting, bud. I love to see them old dark discs come out of a field.
Herk is stylin' them headphones.:clapping:

Bryce nice pull on this seated and Indian, I think a lot of people underestimate the power of the little excelerator coils, there still a awesome coil as we both know the 5 and 6 Inch coils rock. Congratulations on your 10 inch finds :clapping:

Bryce.........you do an amazing job at finding them deep silvers and injuns........a TRUE testament to your ability and being ONE with your detector :detecting:

WTG and Herc looked like he was having a great time out in the corn!!!

That is going very deep for any coil size; especially a small one like that. Nice going!
The picture of Hercules with his headphones is great.:clapping:
He seems to have a serious look of concentration on his face too.:thumbup: