Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Warning For Dog Lovers: If your dog throws up something that looks like milk, take it to the vet right that minute! I've just seen two dogs die this

Critterhunter

Recently my dog, a beautiful long haired (or wooly) Husky named Sky passed away. This morning something happened that made this even stick out in my mind more, so humor me here and read this if you love your pets...

My neighbor's dog, a black lab Rottweiler mix, was paying tons of attention to me every day for a week after Sky died. Dizzy, my neighbor's dog, would flop on the floor next to me and kick it's feet in the air, grrr-ing at me to rub it's belly. She did this here and there in the past, but every day after Sky died Dizzy would do this to me 2 or 3 times with each visit. Obviously she knew I needed comfort, because she did it every day 2 or 3 times where as she would only do that here and there before Sky died.

Anyway, yesterday I left my neighbor's house and Dizzy was laying by the back door wagging at me. I went over and rubbed her stomach and asked her if she missed touching noses with Sky through the fence as they liked to do. After a few more remarks and belly rubs I left. This morning my neighbor's son was pounding on my door. He said something is wrong with Dizzy and he needed me to help carry her to the car. I went over and she was laying on the floor breathing real hard. A few minutes later, while we were getting a rug ready to carry her on, she passed away.

Just like Sky did, she had suddenly got sick like this, and was throwing up white puke like Sky a day or two before as Sky did. For that reason I suspect her kidneys gave out like Sky's. We had Sky tested for a disease that wild animals can spread because of all the rabbits we've been seeing in our yard which can shut their kidneys down. It's called Lipto-something or other. I never called to get the results of that test because Sky passed on at the hospital so there wasn't much point, but I just did to see if something is going on here, and that maybe Dizzy caught the same disease (if this was a disease). They never submitted the test to the lab because Sky had passed on, so I don't know if these dogs had a disease or not.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you if you ever have a dog that throws up white stuff like milk to not mess around and take it right to the vet, because both Sky and Dizzy did this a few days before they died and I think it's a sign of at least kidney failure because I don't know if they had that disease or not, but that disease does shut down a dog's kidneys so it might be what caused the kidney failure maybe. That disease can be cured too, just like kidney failure, if it's caught in time before the kidneys totally shut down.

I think when I asked Dizzy yesterday if she missed touching noses through the fence with Sky, maybe Dizzy thought that she was near her time to go too, so she might as well go now because she really missed doing that with Sky so much. Now they can touch noses all they want, and this time there won't be a fence between them.

Most people will do anything for their dogs, so if you ever have a dog that seems under the weather and starts throwing up white liquid don't mess around, because if you act right away they can get the kidneys working again with the right treatment, and as said it could also be a sign of that disease they might have had because it will shut down the kidneys too.

Edit: I've since called the vet and Sky's test was never submitted to the lab because she had passed on before that was done. So I don't know if both dogs had this or not. They were both 10 years old, but at least Sky seemed in her prime to me and that's why her death was such a shock. It just seems odd that two dogs living right next door to each other die from the same quick symptoms of white puke and all. Both dogs were drinking a lot of water in the days leading up to finding them near death on the floor. It could have been just kidney failure with no rhyme or reason behind it, but I just think the white puke thing and same symptoms makes it look suspicious. Both dogs were in fenced in yards right next to each other and were current on their shots. That suspected disease can be inoculated for but neither dog was as it's an option at most vets and not part of normal shots.

Another odd thing...The morning we rushed Sky to the hospital I had AM radio on, and there was a vet talking about this very disease. That's what made me suspect and have them test Sky for it, because that vet said it's rising in cases and is spread by wild animals. Usually a dog gets it from drinking water from a puddle that an animal has went to the bathroom in, as this disease likes to live in wet soil, but I guess a rabbit (as we had been seeing so many in the yards) might have went to the bathroom and both dogs could have got into it or something.

Just saying, if your dog seems a little under the weather and is drinking a lot of water and then suddenly is throwing up white puke like it drank milk or something, DON'T wait and head right for the vet. If they catch kidney failure (or even this disease too they might have had) early enough they CAN cure it. I've since learned that vets offer kidney screenings as an option with each visit, and that they recommend paying a little more for having that checked with each visit, because kidney failure usually has very early signs and can be treated with the right medication, and kidney failure is the number one cause of death among dogs from what I was told.

If you love your dog you'll gladly pay a few extra bucks to have the kidneys checked out. I know I will with my next dog with each vet visit. When you lose a good friend like that that touched your soul you'll realize how trivial an extra few dollars is at a checkup. I know I do now...

Here's a few pictures of Sky taken only a day or two before we found her near death. She loved to talk and tell you stories for minutes at a time in her own special semi-howl and other ways, but rarely ever barked or howled a big long howl like a wolf. You can see in the one pic we caught her in mid-semi howl, and in the other pic doing her favorite other thing...laying on her back to air out her belly and relax. She was in the middle of shedding her heavy winter coat so the pictures don't do justice to how pretty of a coat she had. I think it's odd that my nephew took these pictures only a day or two before she died. I think he might have subconsciencly knew something was wrong.

She had been a bit under the weather and just didn't "look" right when I looked into her eyes. Had I let my gut feeling talk to me I might have known there was something more going on here than just her being a bit under the weather for a few days. That has happened before due to her being in heat, but this time it was just "different". If your dog drinks a lot of water all of a sudden, and especially if it starts throwing up something that looks like milk, then don't wait to get it checked out. By my count both these dogs had about a week of signs before it was too late. Even if you don't see these signs, if there is just something in their eyes that tells your intuition in the back of your head that something ain't right here...Act on it! I "knew" there was just something in her eyes for days before this. Both of these dog's were only 10 and seemed in their prime. Well, Dizzy had a little joint paint but Sky ran around like a pup. I really thought she'd live to be 15 or 16 she seemed in such good shape. The pic makes her look old but only because she was shedding bad. She looked 5 or 6 at the most to most people.

WARNING! If you do not want to read more vile surpey sugar water, then don't read on, because I'm going to get even more mushy here and expand out into that uncomfortable subject of the meaning of life. So if that's beyond your state of mind right now, drink another six pack and see if you are now of that mindset. If not, then for sure you don't want to read on...:biggrin: I'm done with trying to hide my emotions. Done that too much in life for too long. It's time to open up a little, or maybe too much. I don't know. I'm not good at this...:biggrin:

Thank you Matthias. I know you love taking your dog on hunts so I know that you understand...You know, me and my neighbor just had a interesting discussion over several beers. :beers: It involves the impact and emotion we all feel, or think we should feel, for people (and animals) close to us. Sometimes we feel guilty about not feeling as we think we should, and wonder if something is wrong with that. This is what this message is going to revolve around, and onto deeper things, so bail out now if it's not your speed. Wasn't my speed not too long ago either, so I can understand...

About 3 or 4 years ago, I had watched one Aunt die in front of my eyes suddenly due to a heart attack. Later on, I had watched her husband dwindle away due to heart disease over a long period of time in and out of the hospital. For a long time I've always wondered if I was one of those "narcissistic types", because I can't remember ever crying over a person's death (except for my dad when I was 18 ) that was even related to me. I didn't cry over my Uncle's death, nor over my aunt's death right in front of my own eyes one day. I always wondered through life, and these more recent deaths shored up those feelings, if I was some narcissistic bastard who couldn't feel empathy for my fellow man. That bothered me a lot, because while I could understand how I might not have that kind of "development" earlier in life, how could I not cry for my aunt or uncle, especially when at least she died right in front of my eyes so suddenly?

Well, after Sky died a month or so ago, I cried for that dog like a baby. And today, when I watched my neighbor's dog die right in front of my eyes, once again I cried. So....what my point is...is that to each of you out there who wonder like I have for so many years, that maybe there is just something wrong with you to where you can't "connect" with your fellow human being in that way....I'll tell you what I came to realize...That it wasn't that I was cold, or uncaring, or "narcissistic" when prior humans somewhat close to my inner circle died...It's just that we never made that "connection". Being blood relatives doesn't mean you automatically have some "connection". My aunt and uncle may have treated me like "family", but there is a big difference between that and being treated like "a true friend and soul mate". THAT, is the point I want to get across, to those out there who wonder as I did if you are just a cold, uncaring person...Because when you see some person on TV crying about a some distant relative that they hardly knew, you probably like me would sit there and think "What is wrong with me? Because I haven't cried that way for somebody much more related to me?"

Well, the truth is, what I've come to realize with Sky's death and now my neighbor's dog, is that I don't cry for what SHOULD mean something to me due to blood ties, but rather I DO cry for something, human or not, that meant more to me and touched my soul in more ways than many humans ever could. That's not a snub to "humans", and that's not a snub to somebody I didn't cry for as not being a great and worthy while human being. No...It's something more subjective than that. I'm not judging people, and I'm sure they were cried for deeply by others, but that "impact" is largely based on just how well you and that person "connected". Just because you two were on two different wave lengths, that doesn't mean that person is any less of a "human being" than you. That also doesn't mean they weren't as good or worth while as you either. It just means that the two of you, blood relatives or not, didn't make that certain "connection"...To where you would feel the full impact of that death on your life. That's not a judgement call about how worthy they were of feelings from others. That's not to say that you feel you were "better" then them. It's only to say that you didn't "feel" that "deep" connection with them...Like you may with some other soul...Human or dog...

Now, some might say "this is all a bunch of theory on a chalk board on ethics and human relations..." No, it's not. And only because I'll prove it to you....Do you fall in love with just "any" woman"? Do you "make that connection" with just any pretty girl in a skirt that walks by on any given day? No, there is that "certain" one who you just know is "the one", and when that happens all life changes for you. If you snicker and say "Sure, right...My wife I'd be glad to be rid of..." Then I'll tell you sir, you were never really in love with that woman in the first place. Because I had that chance come and go, and I saw how good it could be, but due to taking life for granted I lost that, and I've never found it again.

Sure, you may think, but when you do you "know"? There is no question in your mind or need to ask what "love is". You just "know", without having to ask. So my point is, in a very round about way...That when you make that connection that is what matters. And when you lose it, THAT is when you cry. So don't feel, like I did, that you are less than human because you couldn't cry for a close blood relative when others do. Did you really make that "connection" with them? Did you really (now BE honest here!) "CARE"? Answer honestly, because that doesn't make you a bad person. It only makes you human, and humans are going to care about one soul (human or not) more than an other...Based on something as so very subjective as that "wave length", or "spiritual connection" between you and that soul. I don't care if it has two legs or four.

Some of you are going to laugh at this message. I would have too not too long ago. "Sure, drink another beer, and split your Prozacs in half this time and see how that works!" That's where I would have been and said not too long ago...But as you get older...As you lose souls around you (people or pets) that you REALLY care about. That's when it's a spiritual moment. That's when you can't just laugh it all off and chug another beer. That's when you are forced to contemplate the big picture in life. That's when you find out just what you are all about. That's when you'll know if you are an uncaring soul...Or just a soul that hasn't lost the things you really care about...So take comfort if you feel like I did. I too thought I was a heartless uncaring cold person. No, I wasn't cold, I just hadn't lost anything that I really didn't want to lose yet. Pray that you'll open your eyes to what you really DO care about before you lose it, so that you can show that soul (human or animal) just how much you care...Before it's too late to do that...

That's my bit, or my soapbox stance. Laugh at it if you want, but I'm beyond caring about people who laugh, because I know how little they really understand. I wouldn't trade your mindset of laughing at the meaning I'm trying to get across to you for ANYTHING in this world. I was where you were not too long ago, but I've crossed that river, and let me tell it's a lot better on the other side...:thumbup:

I hate to even suggest this, but given the fact that both dogs died within a short time span of the same condition, have you ruled out the possibility of deliberate poisoning?

Yea, we've talked about that. My neighbor lives on a corner house to it would be easy for somebody to walk along her backyard fence and throw something to the dog. My house isn't more harder to get access to the yard though, and we kept a good eye on our dog when it was outside, and I hate to say it but I kept her in more than I should just because she always seemed to find new ways to escape if she was out in the backyard long enough to start getting bored.

I really think though that it's a disease from all these dang rabbits we've been seeing. More than ever. I warned a few nearby neighbors of that potential and told them if their dog starts throwing up white puke they might have at the most 3 or 4 days before their kidneys shut completely down.

yep, i know the hurt you are going through been there and done that many times.my back yard is a pet cemetary 10 dogs, 4 cats :sadwalk:

I am really sorry for the loss of your friend and your neighbor too. But it does sound like a case of poisoning to me too; whether it is intentional or not, you cant say. There are lots of everyday chemicals that can cause kidney failure.

Thanks to everybody for the kind words. Far as accidental poisoning goes, neither dog could be exposed to such a thing. We don't keep anything in either of our back yards that could cause that for them to get into. On purpose poisoning? Perhaps, but the old rule of thumb is that the most logical explaination is probably the right one. I never saw so many rabbits around here before. I'll go outside to sit on my porch at night and see 3 or 4 running around my front yard all the time. I suspect both dogs caught that new disease that is getting rather common with dogs getting exposed to from wild animals. All they have to do is lick any fresh rabbit droppins or urine and they'd get it.

Sure, I guess it could just be that both dogs happened to have kidney failure within a month of each other, but both animals were always healthy up until this abrupt circumstance. That's why I think it's something related that both got exposed to, and more than likely that disease I heard of on the radio the very morning I was bringing my dog to the vet on a local AM talk show. The man was a wildlife officer and a hunter, and he said to start getting your dogs vacinated for this disease as it's rising fast in cases. He said it shuts down their kidneys.

Rabbits have a place in this world and out in nature - nature rules. You are upset because you want control and had no control. We are not exempt from the acts of nature and we have no control over the outcomes. Until there is substantial proof that rabbits caused this you should remain open minded. If you really want an answer to why your dog died it will take time but to adhere to one concept could blind you from the real cause. Maybe the neighbor dog wanted the belly rubbing because it was telling you something about the belly pain it was having. Never grab onto an assumption and run with it unless there is clear understanding. Making assumptions and then acting on them is always a mistake. I, more than anything, see you are in a lot of grief and that is understandable. I know because I just lost my loving Jack Russell Terrier (my soul mate) after 18 years of loyal unconditional love. I put him down myself - one of the hardest things I have ever faced in my life. I can assure you - I know how deeply it hurts to lose that connection. There is a physical and mental process we all have to go thru in these situations. I am no expert but - denial, anger, acceptance and pain are a large part of the process. These are the things we have to go thru and accept in these situations and we do it by ourselves. We have to be aware of what we are experiencing and to realize we have no control but only understanding and self realization of our own behavior. No, I won't drink more beer or take drugs but rather I will look inside and try to understand, with each day, the process I have to accomplish without letting it effect other people - without putting that grief on others rather than conquering it thru my own self process. It's good to have someone to talk to about it. I am happy this forum is here for you. My advice is to wait for some time to pass, let yourself adjust to the process and then, when you have a more clear view, you can move forward with figuring out, if it was in fact rabbits.

Well, it's been about (what?) two months or so now, and I still believe it's the rabbits. Just too many of them around in the suburbs I live in like we have never seen ever before. The local wildlife officer on the radio stating that this disease is on a big time increase just puts two and two together for me. Too much of a coincidence that both dogs would throw up white (a sign the kidneys are shutting down) a few days before their deaths.

The wildlife officer said that this disease lurks around in wet ground, usually in puddles, where the wild animals do their business on the ground, and that most comonly a dog will drink water from a puddle to get it, but that it can live in just moist soil or of course would be present in fresh droppings or urine. There are no puddles in our back yards, but I suspect both dogs licked on some droppings or urine and got the disease.

He said that there is a vacination for this disease and he highly recommends anybody who has a dog, especially dogs exposed to wildlife, should be vacinated for it.