Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Abandoned House - Silver...

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--

It cooled off to the mid 90's and we have had a few days of rain. My hunting buddy Kenneth and I decided to partake in our quest to rescue silver from the bowels of Mother Earth. We drove around the older part of town and found an abandoned house - it had broken windows and the "lawn" was overgrown with weeds but there were a few clear spots. We decided to give it a try. We were not the first detectorists to swing a coil on this site. We both spotted old unfilled holes that were in key locations - likely path from the driveway to the front door and near a large tree. The previous detectorist must have used a lot of discrimination and was cherry picking the targets in the quarter - half range. We dug mostly memorials and a few clad dimes. Kenneth dug the oldest coin of the day, a 1916-D wheat cent. I pulled out 3 wheat cents - all in the 1950's. I was the lucky one to dig 3 silver dimes - a 1954-D, a 1920 merc, and a 1964-D. The non-coin keepers are two pendants, one appears to be gold plated , made in Germany with the infant Jesus in the center design and a Chicago Bears watch fob. Strange to find THAT here in the heart of Dallas Cowboy country hahah. Well, my wife's Father was from Chicago so she likes that find. I was using the 6x10 DD coil and Kenneth was using the 4x6 DD coil on our V's. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
blind Squirrel

good finds. I still have not found a watch fob

Hi Blind Squirrel, very nice coins! Finding a "Made in Germany" pendant is really unusual. This is Metal Detecting, unpredictable and interesting. Thanks for your story.

Best wishes, Jürgen

Thanks Jimmy! I hope that you get out detecting soon and get your share of the goodies! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks shafer44! Watch fobs are some of my favorite finds. Keep hunting the older home sites and you will get one - eventually. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks Waterdog! Yes indeed, silver of ANY denomination or type IS always a welcome find. Best of luck to you and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks MANDAD76! It sure was a fun day detecting. And having fun is what it's all about. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Hi Jurgen--

Thank you. Yes, detecting can yield some very interesting and unusual finds. Aside from coins from many different countries, I have been fortunate to dig other interesting items such as a table lighter that is marked "Made in Occupied Japan" and a nice silver ring marked " Made in West Germany". Also, Jurgen, thank you for that tip on cleaning common silver! Have you been doing any detecting? I always enjoy seeing your finds! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks pulltab! It's good to be working and making the cash but you know what they say: "all work and no play...". Seriously, I hope that you can get out swinging the coil! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel