Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

? about waterproof headphones

txtrooper

I know the AT Pro headphones that come with the detector are not waterproof. My question is if you have those headphones plugged into the AT Pro can you submerge the detector as long as you do not submerge the headphones themself or with them plugged in can you not submerge the display unit at all?

Also, I want to start detecting in the water but before I do I would like to test the AT Pro to make sure it is waterproof (since I have been hearing some people say theirs have not been). Is the best way to test it by sinking it in the bath tub?

If you place the headphone cover back on and do not use headphones can you submerge the detector without them?

Thanks for the answers

Your land headphones have a water proof connector. You will be OK to submerge the detector, but not the headphones themself. My PRO leaked on my second outing and had to send it back. Garrett sent me a new detector and so far this ones been in the water 3 times and on leaks. ( fingers crossed). You can test it in a bath tub if you want, I would not hit it with a hard running water on it though.

I used the stock headphones while in the water about 4 times up to the control box.

The headphones worked fine.

The connection to the control box from the stock or WP HP's are supposed to be waterproof.

Just don't drop the stock HP's in the water.

My problems with water in the control box didn't materialize until I got the WP HP's.

Probably just a coincidence, but the HP's, control box and coil have all been sent back to Garrett.

I'm thinking this metal detecter might better be described as water resistant, not waterproof.

If interested see my previous posts regarding these problems.

Good Hunting

Denny

Hey,
Don't forget to make sure you fully tighten both coil and headphone plugs nice and tight and I put a piece of quality electrical tape around the seams on the battery compartment on the control box just for extra protection. It works fine for me no leaks, no problems at all. Have fun and happy hunting...woodstock

Woodstock said:
Hey,
Don't forget to make sure you fully tighten both coil and headphone plugs nice and tight and I put a piece of quality electrical tape around the seams on the battery compartment on the control box just for extra protection. It works fine for me no leaks, no problems at all. Have fun and happy hunting...woodstock

If I was inclined to keep mine when it comes back from Garrett, I would definitely try your electrical tape solution and I would add to that a cover for the control box. (my wife would make one, I don't think Garrett has one)

Treat it like it is water resistant, not waterproof and I think your odds of trouble will go way down.

Good Hunting

Denny

i definetly will look for a cover for the at pro also kirk. How is you wife making one? Of what materials and how? im very interested. I was thinking also on sealing the screen seals with silicon maybe?.

Basically they are low pressure waterproof so any extra additional removable outer sealing that gives you extra security from possible leaks is an added bonus. Maybe a bit of non-conductive grease or non- conductive lube around all the seal rings will help as well. All or some of these things in combination will just decrease any chance of leaks. I really believe that most of the leaks are from loose connector plugs, damaged or worn seal rings. and lack of the proper non-conductive lube that helps completely seal off any water by keeping those seal rings soft and pliable. Those rings are just over sized enough to keep water out, dry rings will wear out quicker and won't slide in but roll away from where there seated in the plug. I was wonder why know one has tried a wrap or two of plumbers Teflon tape wrapped in the direction of the threads, not a lot but one or two times max. And no pliers please! That might cause hairline cracks on the control body by the plugs. I wrap a piece of leather around them, pinch it with my fingers and snug the rings that way.
Happy Trails and Hunting to All, Woodstock

Heras said:
i definetly will look for a cover for the at pro also kirk. How is you wife making one? Of what materials and how? im very interested. I was thinking also on sealing the screen seals with silicon maybe?.

Heras,

I asked my wife how she planned to make a splash cover and she told me:

"Bought the vinyl material that you used to see on furniture. They sell it at Walmart or any fabric store and it's very inexpensive and can be bought by the yard. It comes in different gauges". She bought an 8 and a 12 gauge, but I think she will use the 8. We have a Minelab cover and she will use that as a pattern to cut the top, bottom and sides and sew them together.

See was going to make a cover for our old Silver uMax's but if we decide to keep the AT-Pro she will make one for it first.

"sealing the screen seals with silicon" also sounds good. Although I do not know how to do that.

Good Hunting

Denny

If you want to use silicone you'll have to clean the seam area with alcohol and then put two strips of blue masking tape around each side of the seams. Then use a light but complete coat (or two) of silicone over the seams and let dry, remove the tape and your good to go. Silicone is rubbery and removable if you need to do it more than once.
But I think a good quality waterproof rubber tape will have the same effect and can be applied every time you got out in the water, just follow the seam line. Just do a little research on what's the best waterproof products to use and then apply them for more waterproof security and best of luck to you. I'm sure if we all bang our heads together we can come up with the best secondary products to use for further waterproofing our AT Pro's and post them here for others to try. Happy Hunting to All, Woodstock

I think the plug is mush larger Leslie. However the Infinium plug might be the same. Garrett has waterproof headphones available. We're talking about keeping the standard headphones water safe and the secondary waterproofing to plugs and control boxes that we can do ourselves. We are using the AT Pro's as multi- purpose machines. If we were just water hunters we'd buy a water machines. Your Seahunter MKII is a pulse machine built for water use and it's weight works well submerged but not on land, I had one before and sold it. If the plug from yours does fit then all of Garrett's water detectors have been upgraded recently, mine was way bigger. But there's a member who used to make adapters for Quality headphones for the Infinium model. But Garrett stopped selling the plugs, probably so they can sell adapters at a later date. I've been thinking about making my own. Thanks for your input and happy hunting to you in Nova Scotia! Woodstock

The machine may be used in water to 10 feet deep. Says so in the manual. Read page 47, if not Garrett should fix it. The stock HP may not be submerged, but the connection is water tight.

To lube your seals would be smart, or at least I will when the water levels start to drop.

Jeff

I don't think I would try any of the homemade fixes until the warranty expires, these detectors should be waterproof from the factory as advertised

TURNMASTER,
I know that it's waterproof to 10 feet although some have had problems, NOT ALL. And I can read and have read the manual 10X. Mine is WATERPROOF and I have submerged it a few times without problems. AND GARRETT HAS AND WILL FIX THE PROBLEMS if you have any AND WILL REPLACE it with a NEW ONE if they can't fix it OR if it's reached the LEMON LAW LIMIT. Our discussion was about EXTRA PROTECTION on the machine and using the STANDARD HEADPHONES in shallow WATER. Not diving down to 10 feet with them, We're discussing PROPER TIGHTENING of connectors and other things, if you AT Pro leaks at the connectors because of OPERATOR DAMAGE or NOT TIGHTENING properly or using a bit of non-conductive lube then why should GARRETT TAKE ALL THE HEAT? What Garrett needs to do is include a CD that explains that and include some lube along with there units.
They've been great on fixing everyone's and replaced the ones they can't. Maybe you'd like them also put a disclaimer that will void the warranty if the owner damages the seals or fail to tighten the plugs correctly. So far they've been fair except they should pay for the return shipping. However, they cover manufacture defects and not operator error and that means they could very well void the warranty if they found the damage was done by not tightening the plugs or damaging them and they haven't so far. So next time before you accuse me of NOT BEING ABLE TO READ you should read the whole tread and see what we are talking about first, then add your comments if they improve the tread, We all know and read the manual, we're just discussing added insurance to the waterproofing. But Garrett should pay for return shipping and add some waterproof lube with the new AT Pro's and offer to send it for free to AT Pro owners. Happy Hunting and Happy Trails, Woodstock

I don't think anything we are discussing will void the warranty. Lube is on them when they are sent and Garrett knows that serious operators in water will use it. It's even good to keep them lubed if your not going to use it in the water. And silicone is removable and tape it as well. The things that void warranty's are taking the unit a part for mods or deliberately damaging the detectors by abusing it. We just want an ounce more of prevention and maybe avoid problems , that all...end of story. HH. Woodstock

I am still hoping to buy an AT Pro when I return home this summer. I expect that I will also need to buy a propointer and the waterproof head phones. Once I return to Q8, the process of shipping something back to the USA for repair is neither rapid nor inexpensive. And I mean that it will take probably 30+ days to get through Kuwait customs, and likely over $150.00 USD for shipping and customs fees and "gifts". If I need to buy some silicone lube for the o-rings and a tube of silicone sealer for the screen, I need to know about it when I get my AT Pro.

Garrett seems to have a very good reputation for dealing with customer problems and I suspect that the AT Pro is simply having the normal issues of a new product. In this case, It seems miraculous to me that a metal detector with all the features of the AT Pro could be produced and sold for such a relatively low price. The housing itself must be very robust, since it could easily experience a hunt at 40 degrees F, to a 130 degree F day, and get used in the sea on either of those hunts here in Q8. Even being used on a 120 degree F beach hunt and then going into 80 degree F water must put an enormous strain on the housing and seals.

I wonder if the use of the AT Pro here in this harsh climate might require a liberal coating of silicone bathtub sealer on the connections and screen-to-housing joint?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
John Morton

Only 19 more days till HOME!:usaflag::crazy:

Lighten Up Woodstock, there was no attack on you or any others on this forum.

Seems I did read the whole post and someone suggests the machine is only water resistant. A water resistant machine will take a dunking but not continued under water use as the AT Pro is capable of doing.

I NEVER suggested that you can not read, but again page 47 discusses water hunting with this machine. Quick reference nothing more.

Thanks for reaffirming my (and others) position on lubing the seals. In most, if not all applications O-ring seals should be lubed before assembly.

I never suggested in any way that Garrett should void the warranty or should have a disclaimer.

The OP asked about water fastness of this detector and the original headphones and I gave a quick answer, that is all. Seems others responded similarly, more or less.

John Morton,

Those are good questions and I would think you would be OK, but the best answer is that you may want to send Garrett an email and ask them the same question.

HH
Jeff

Hey John,
No harm done here. I just want to make it clear that the AT Pro is advertised to be waterproof to 10 feet so it's not met for diving, in fact you see ad pic's showing people waist deep and chest deep at beaches and docks but not diving. And if you mean ask Garrett if lubing the O rings voids warranty I highly doubt it. That would be contrary to good maintenance. Like Ford voiding a warranty if you change you oil at your local Oil Center, and that just won't happen. But if you modify the anything by adding or removing factory parts, then your out of luck. I worked years ago at an electronics distributor and its easy to tell if screws have been removed or a control box opened or tampered with and those are the things that would void any warranty. And anything temporary on the units outside shouldn't void it either, unless it's visibly damaged from having it applied. Tape or removable silicone on the outside is just like the cheap stickers some manufactures use and even some users. Unless it's a factory sticker that voids warranty if removed, those are there to keep people from tampering with the electronics.
But if you met ask Garrett if they could include a tube of lube with the AT Pro to keep seals ply-able and waterproof and maybe a tightening strap to make fittings tight that's their call not mine. Their engineers should have figured that out themselves. And I'm pretty sure they follow these forums from time to time so if they read it here then they should do it.
They also could have a colored notch by the fittings to match up to making sure the plugs are tight.
Users should also try not to knock around the units cause even a soft drop can misaligned seams causing leaks and also going from hot to cold or cold to hot quickly can cause expansion and contraction leaks. In other works take care of your units cause to many think they can take anything and they can't. They have electronics inside and can be damaged easier than you think. That about all I can say on this subject, maintaining your detectors on the outside shouldn't effect whats warranted on the inside,
Happy Hunting and Happy Trails to All, Jeffrey Simon