Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ace 250 at the beach

Has anyone taken their Ace 250 to a salt water beach? I am very interested how it does in the wet sand. Also, this may be a silly question but does the unit have a backlight and do the targets display a number when it hit on one?

Thank You

HH
Paul Massachusetts

I understand they do fine in the dry sand, but so-so in the wet stuff. Ian will know as he hunts with a 150 on the beach. How 'bout it Ian? No backlight and no numbers, a belltone and notch display. When you hear the belltone, that's the sound of money and then you check which notch and icon it is locked on.

I have heard from some users that it works pretty well in wet salt sand. Haven't had a chance to try it myself even though the ocean is only an hour or so away.

Bill

The Ace 150's work fine in the wet sand (salt water beaches) around us Paul. No complaints other than it isn't waterproof. ;) And I want Garrett to make me a 500 yen coin mode for Christmas too! :lol:
How it performs in your part of the world naturally may vary.

This year we have found e.g. silver, gold, and platinum using them. And coins, coins, and more coins!! I guess about a third of those came from the wet sand and the rest from dry. Again, it would be nice to have a waterproof Ace with a 500 yen mode, if anyone at Garrett is listening in! :)

Bought them for my sons to use but when I get the chance I actually prefer using an Ace to the Sea Hunter Mark II, just for the fun factor, but the Sea Hunter does get the really deep stuff and is waterproof, so sometimes I have to resist the temptation. ;)

HH

Hey Ian, you should contact Garrett and see if they can program your machine to respond to the types of coins you find the most. Should be no problem at all for them to do.

Bill

I remember John saying in a previous post he had sent Garrett some Canadian coins to tune to.
Before I buy another machine (or two) ;) , probably next year, I'll send them an email and ask.

Most of the modern Japanese coins show as either nickel or coins on the Ace 150, while the 500 yen ones tend to jump around. The 500 yen (new ones from year 2000) are composed of 72 percent copper, 20 zinc, 8 nickel. (pre year 2000 were 75 percent copper, 25 nickel).

The one hundred yen coin, and the fifty yen coins too, usually show as nickel on the Ace's and lock on well, they have 75 percent copper, and 25 percent nickel.

So, suspect the zinc in the new 500 yen is the culprit. :confused:

Certainly would be nice to pop out 500 yen (about US$4.20) coins every five minutes now wouldn't it?! :)

HH
Ian