Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ace 250 help...! More Accurate?

Zugmaschine

Hello again..........

I recently bought a Garrett Ace 250, and I love it I had it out today and have used it now 2 times so far and most of the time it tells me that the signal it picks up is 6-8 inches under in the dirt, when actually its laying on the top of the ground or right under the leaves. Is there any possible way, or anything special I can do with it to make it more accurate? Also I had set it to coin mode and then relic mode for a while to see if I could weed out the all nails and trash i was digging. But it still showed like steel bucket pieces and wire mesh am I doing something wrong? Should I make a custom setting? what should I do to get the best accurate results out of my Ace 250. I really don't want to customize it mechanically I just want to see if I can adjust the settings to make it perform to its best. So any information you guys give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jacob

Welcome to the real world lol.Unfortunately,depth meters are far from accurate im afraid.These meters are factory set up to a certain sized object such as a coin.......anything larger or smaller than what the meter has been set too will give you an inaccurate reading.For example,if your detector was set up on a quarter it and you went over a quarter that was six inches deep,your detector would probably give you a fairly accurate reading depending on soil conditions(which also affect accuracy).However if you went over a smaller coin that was at the same depth,such as a dime,your detector would probably give you an increased depth indication while a larger coin at the same depth may give you a shallower depth indication.Detector manufacturers can only set depth meters to a very limited range of objects and anything that falls ouside these parameters will give innacurate results.
I've never seen the need for them personally......they are just a sales gimmick to be honest........you are going to dig a signal regardless of whether your detector tells you it is at 4 inches or 6 inches are'nt you so why bother having one in the first place.
As for getting through the junk,all detectors pick up a certain amount of junk and if you are using so much discrim that you are'nt picking up any at all,you will be missing good targets.
I'm a great believer in using minimum discrim,just enough to get rid of the smallest pieces of iron rubbish and dig everything else......don't forget also that the more discrim you use,the less depth you will get and you will loose sensitivity to smaller valuable items.
To get the most out of any detector still requires hard graft no matter what the advertising men try to make you believe,those willing to use the minimum gimmicks on a machine for each hunting scenario will always have better results.

Yeah, Relics mode is my favorite mode. You must be over a dump or have the sensitivity up there. In areas of profuse trash, the default setting of six bars is like letting a bull loose in a China closet! Work with 3-4 bars- in these areas-save the power when in better conditions. And remember the word "repeatable" because that's the quickest way to get used to this machine's quirks. Mine is a coin killer! Not saying it's the best, just my go to.

Ok, that is great thank you for all the information and I will keep all of that in mind when I am out in the field hunting. :)

Zugmaschine said:
Ok, that is great thank you for all the information and I will keep all of that in mind when I am out in the field hunting. :)
I kinda left the meaning "repeatable" hanging without explanation. Good targets are usually repeatable in both sweep directions and the icons usually are stable or only move 1-2 icons whereas trash usually hits audibly one way and the icons jump all over the screen. Interesting to watch.

Oh yea I noticed that when i went on Saturday thank you thought for the info I will keep it in mind.