Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ACE 250 or 350 what's the real difference?

Thylacine

It seems like my Master Hunter is on its way out, the needle jumping and giving false hits even when it is no where near the ground. So I am looking at replacing it with a Garrett ACE but which one the 250 or 350? Which is the better unit for 'koin-shooting' and why?

I will be ordering from the USA, as much as I would like to support a local trader, the price on a basic unit down here without any 'extras' deals seems to attract a $100. to $150. mark-up. That stings.

I am looking at buying either an ACE 250 or 350 and I would like to know:

How much of a difference there is between them?

Which is the best one for coin shooting.

Which is the best one for Australian conditions.

Lastly, which one can be easily accessorised, I am thinking of smaller coil, coil covers and such.

I looked at the AT Pro but I was told that there are issues with that machine and our mineralised soils and it is just a little more than I want to pay at the moment.

Thanks,

I have both machines and the the 250 is a better coin machine because it has a lower frequency plus the coil is smaller, the 250 can tell the difference between a quarter and dime, the 350 can't. HIH, HHH

I completely agree with hank you cannot beat the 250 as a coin machine,and with the 10 by 14 Excellsior coil it really gets to deep targets.I love mine and have had no problems since buying it. HH Wayne in Delaware ps- It is pretty acurate with indentify targets

So your using the DD coil (?) on the ACE 350 and it does not perform as well as the ACE 250, that's interesting.

I am thinking of picking up two coils when I buy larger one for general sweeping and a smaller (sniper coil?) for noodling around metal at the tot lots. The MH 7 would pick up the larger metal poles holding up the shade-cloth a good 2 feet out from the base of the pole and that left a lot of ground unsearchable.

It does very well just not in trashy areas on the 350, I love my 350 it was dead on the morning hunting using my sniper coil, pulltab vs nickel and penny, the 350 is a great relic machine/ coin with the depth and iron segments it has, I can notch out nails and still hit iron pieces, either one get , go ahead an get the sniper coil with it! Trust me!! HHH

I would call Garrett and tell them you are upgrading. It is my understanding that they take off between 30 to 40 percent off of a new unit. Not sure about the shipping charges but it's worth calling them.

Sounds like the coil on your Master Hunter. D0 you have an extra coil to try? Try wiggling the connector to see if it affects the problem.

No, not the coil, as I have two and it does it with both of them.

Symptoms of my sick Garrett: The needle jumps all over the place, tone very loud, giving false hits even with coils held well away from the ground and no where near metal.

I have cleaned the plugs both M and F ends (spray with WD40) so I know they are clean and have no moisture. I think it has just given up. I can play with the dials and have it sort of work but it won't stay that way. Even running it without a coil attached the symptoms are the same.

I have decided to buy a new machine, just not sure which new machine nor who to buy it from, there are deals and more deals out there but there is not much difference between the prices and some are way high. Some offer stuff I don't need like maps to hot spots in the USA, I live in OZ! One place is offering an ACE 350 with two DD coils for $297, that seems good they offer some items I don't need too but the price is way less than the OZ $434. on the same machine without the spare coil!

Still waiting to hear from Garrett on what they think the best machine for me is and why.

My preference is for an ACE 350 with two DD coils, coil covers, carry bag for the detector, rain cover for the box and possibly a set of the basic Garrett headphones with the volume adjustment in the line. I have torches and spades and diggers.

I think a lot of the offers are aimed at the new buyer who is just entering the hobby, but someone like me has acquired all the tools and just needs the detector.

E.

I love my ACE350. Having said that, I've never used the 250. I did however find over $700 in change for 2011 with it. It is great for find coins but as someone said it doesn't distinguish between a dime and a quarter. My favorite hunting grounds with are parks and tot lots and it does a great job.

Jack.

What size coils are you using and are you using DD coils?

E.

Do you have coil covers on your coils ? If so take the cover off and clean them out. I had coil a coil cover on one of my units (siliconed it on) to keep the dirt out. Wow was I surprized to find black sand in it after hunting with a What I thought was a sealed coil cover.

You put WD 40 on the coil connectors??? Not good, attracts dust, sand, you name it. Get some spray contact cleaner and get that off of your plugs. A small amount of dielectric grease will then make sure you are getting a good contact in your plugs. Also check your battery contacts. If you see the dreaded green crud, clean that too!!

Here is an interesting test I found between the 250 and 350. Looks like they are pretty evenly matched to me. This test was done with the sniper coil on both.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly4RSTwed44