Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ace 250 vs. GTP1350 for Coins & Jewelry

Dick from IA

OK, this question is for those of you who have used both the Ace 250 and GTP1350 for coin and jewelry hunting.
Which one would be the overall best detector for these purposes?

I currently own 2 detectors:
Ace 250 (stock & sniper coils)
Minelab X-Terra 70 w/ stock 8x9 coil.

The Ace is hotter on shallow 1"-3" targets, so-so on 4"-6"
X70 is better for 4"-6" targets, but poor on shallow targets.

I like the idea of the GTP1350's profiling feature; have a friend who swears by it and says it really helps in avoiding a lot of trash.

Thinking of trading the X70 for a GTP1350, and of course keeping the Ace 250 with Sniper Coil (would never give it up). Will the 1350 be a good addition or should I just get a 12" coil for the Ace and get rid of the X70?

All opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Unless you can't live without the profiling the 12 incher on the 250 would serve you just as well. The 1350 gives you more toys to play with but won't go any deeper than the 250 with a similar or larger coil. I hunt a lot of playgrounds and my 250 with stock coil pulls coins at ten inches plus in the chips.

I not only own these machines but field tested both of them including the prototype for the 1350.

Bill

The main short coming which I've experienced with the 250 is that I seem to get a lot of hits indicating a penny at 4-6 inches which turn out to be beer cans at 8-10" (or a pipe at 14-18").

I bought a used 1500 (a nice one can be picked on on Ebay for $375-400) which eliminated a lot of can digging. The 1500 is heavier and a bit slower on the sweep speed, but cuts out a lot of trash digging.

Of course, the experience factor comes into effect when using any machine. I definately still use the 250.

I also own both an ACE 250 and a GTP1350 and I can't decide which one I like best. I do find the ACE to be a little finicky at times and the batteries sometimes need to be readjusted in order to make proper contact. The 1350 is built as rugged as a MACK truck and is as dependable as the sun coming up. I have found almost 2000 coins (100 silver coins) Minnie balls, Civil War buttons, many rings and a five gallon bucket 1/2 full of misc. finds. Of course I am retired and hunt almost every day except Sundays.
I believe if I had to give up one or the other I definitely would keep the 1350.
I let my grandchildren use my ACE I also use it as a loaner when a property owner would like to hunt with me. The thing I like about both machine is the turn on and start searching, and as you get better you can fine tune it to your preferences.
Your Friend,
John D.

John,

In our house we have both the GTP1350 and the ACE250. I find that the two can not be too close together or else I get cross talk and chatter. I also really notice it if I am using the Sun Ray probe.

How do you deal with this or do you not have this problem ?

Farnum

Unless you have a frequency control on your detector you just have to live with it. Somewhere on the market is a frequency shifter you can buy to change all that.

Bill

Forgot to say the 1350 has a frequency adjustment on it. Just scroll thru the menu and set it where you want it.

Bill