Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ACE 350 and bottle caps

ezdiggen

I'm on my second set of batteries now and starting to listen better to what my Ace 350 is trying to tell me.
I have been coin shooting and use the coin mode with three or four bars of sensitivity. When I get a good solid
dime/quarter tone a good percentage of the time I dig a bottle cap/crown cap.
I think I read somewhere that it is possible to manipulate the coil to get a tone that will differentiate between
a dime/quarter and a cap. For the life of me I can't find that post. Have any of you Ace 350 users
come up with a method to discriminate bottle caps?

There is a method of determining bottle caps with a DD coil (and I should say that the 350 is not the only vlf detector which responds well to bottle caps with a DD coil).. Mick in Dubbo described the procedure some weeks ago, but I cant remember if it was a thread started by Mick, or whether he was responding to someone else's post. I cant remember the exact way that Mick described, but it works. You line up where the target is, then go over the target with the coil, front end first with the target under the middle of the coil. Whether it's a bottle cap (or a coin) depends on where the audio response comes in relation to where the target is in relation to the coil. All I can suggest is that you get a few bottle caps (of different stages of deterioration) and a few coins and practice with them on the ground and you will be able to see the difference.

Think I might remember what you mean Furious re Mick in Dubbo. It's a little trick he described which has worked very well for me and I use it often. Left and right swings both give a nice bell tone but sweep the coil forward (away from you) and if it "boops" then it's a bottle cap. Coins won't do that.

Not the detector, it's the coil. All DD's have an insatiable appetite for bottlecaps. No way to escape it, just the nature of the beast.

Bill

I think I read the same post as you Furious and Murfar1. I'll search Mick in Dubbo's posts to find his technique for id-ing bottle caps.
I'll also experiment with some of the caps that I have saved.

The old crimp-on Bottle Cap was easily rejected with the early TR-Disc. models as their rejection was based simply on the progressive order of conductivity. Iron nails, then Bottle Caps, then thin Foil and very small Gold Jewelry, then larger Foil and some larger Gold Jewelry, then the US 5

Tom.
The easy way to ID bottle caps is to watch what happens to the audio visual when the tip (or any other part of the outer edge) passes over the target. Even though a bottle cap can give you a positive reading when it's under the center of the coil, it will give an iron reading when it passes under the tip. It does it with both DD and concentric coils.
Mick Evans.

I think that Garrett's are on a real winner with the roll audio on the AT Pro. I think that this feature is going to jell with a bucket load of non Garrett users. especially with US users and silver coin hunters that like to hunt in iron infested sites. I'd like to know what sort of target info you can get out of the actual tone though, but we'll find out when it gets out in the hands of Joe public.
Mick Evans.

Thanks Montie and Mick. You gave me the exact information I needed. Now all I have to do is practice the method.