Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ace 400 is comparable to?

I have asked questions about this ace 400 myself. I didn't get any help either. With nobody saying anything about them, they must be very good detectors.

The Ace 400 is just Garrett's recently tweaked version of it's Ace 350. The prior Ace Series included the 150, 250, and 350. Now that series is the 200, 300, and 400.

The 400's major tweak that I could discern, is it's frequency bump from 8.25 KHZ to 10 KHZ.

I would guess that other brand's comparables would include Fisher F2, Teknetics Delta, and Eurotek, and Whites Coinmaster, to name a few.

While all are good basic detectors, one important feature they ALL lack is adjustable ground balance. ALL are fixed GB.

I recall an incident yrs ago when I got back into detecting. I was with a friend who was using an Ace 250, or 350, (don't recall which). I was using a BH Platinum, which has adjustable GB called Ground Grab, one of the current primary GB methods employed by First Texas (Fisher, Teknetics, BH). We encountered an area that made both our machines totally erratic. Our first assumption was EMI. It turned out to be the ground in an area about 30-40' in diameter. We figured it was probably fill trucked in and dumped there, as the ground around it was fine. Anyway, I did another Ground Grab to adjust my detector to that particular ground mineralization, it stabilized and operated well. My friend, with his fixed GB Ace, was unable to detect that area as his machine continued to operate erratically.

While all the above mentioned detectors (excluding the Platinum) are fixed GB machines, they generally work fine in mild soil conditions. They can be hamstrung in changing ground mineralization. If a detector is not properly calibrated to the mineralization conditions, they can become unstable, lose effective detecting depth, and offer less accurate target information. What's just as bad, is that you may not even realize your machine is losing depth, or accuracy.

That is why adjustable GB is a basic requirement of any VLF detector I own. Adjustable ground balance isn't something that adds significant costs to a detector with most manufacturers. Many major manufacturers offer quality detectors with adjustable GB at well under $500. (my Platinum cost $299) Garrett is a bit of an exception, to my knowledge it introduces adjustable GB at it's AT series level, in the $600 range.

One mitigating factor in the Ace 400, and some other fixed GB machines, it comes with a DD coil. DD coils are known for better/smoother operation in mineralized ground. So although a detector may not have adjustable GB, using a DD coil may help mitigate some or the adverse effects of harsh ground.

Fisher F44.