Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ace 400 or Eurotek pro?

Going to buy one for my cousin to get him started in dirt fishing. Which one of these will out perform the other? Which is the best starter unit? If both were running in no discrimination and near max sensitivity, which is the deeper unit?
Thanks

Hello JJ,

I believe both of those models are factory set, fixed ground balance models.

If it were me, I'd go with a model with a user adjustable ground balance. They are readily available at similar pricing of the models you mention, and will give much better performance in varying ground mineralization conditions.

Just a thought.

I have only one I’ve used is the Garrett and was a user friendly machine. And very stable. Out of the two I’d choose the 400. PA.

Below is a paragraph from a Garrett (maker of the Ace 400) catalog about the importance of ground balance in VLF detectors:

"VLF Tip: Ground Balance Feature'

Soil mineralization levels often change in the field, and this can create unstable detector performance. Higher-end detector models with Ground Balance features allow the user to adjust the detector's ground balance as these conditions change. Ground balancing a detector calibrates it to the soil conditions, resulting in deeper target detection, more accurate target information, and stable detector operation."

I completely agree with that statement, EXCEPT, the part about "Higher-end detector models". There is a bunch of entry level priced machines out there from a variety of manufacturers with adjustable GB. If it's available at an affordable price point, it makes all the sense in the world to me to get a detector with that ability to maintain a steady performance level in varying ground mineralization.

Piedmontartifacts said:
I have only one I’ve used is the Garrett and was a user friendly machine. And very stable. Out of the two I’d choose the 400. PA.

The Ace series have been, and still are decent detectors. I am surprised that over the yrs with model changes to that series they haven't added a basic adjustable GB circuit (to my knowledge).
Adjustable GB is now a common feature in machines costing much less than the MSRP of the Ace 400.

I'm only suggesting you shop around before making a decision, you may be pleasantly surprised at what's available at very affordable pricing. Lots of reviews out there of all the models.

Thanks, guys. I have an old Whites 6000 pro i haven't used in years. Are those old machines as deep as the ace 400? Or is the new technology better and deeper?

JJames1610 said:
Thanks, guys. I have an old Whites 6000 pro i haven't used in years. Are those old machines as deep as the ace 400? Or is the new technology better and deeper?

I'm not specifically familiar with the 6000, but I know some of those older Whites machines were pretty good.

In truth, detection depths haven't really increased in decades. The modern machines have added features that help in target analysis/ID through audio/visual, coil improvements, microprocessor advances, and in ergonomics. The basic ability of VLF detectors to punch that electromagnetic field into the ground and light up that metal target in the ground, is basically the same.