Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ACE 400 settings for finding gas pipe?

rlyoung

Hi All. My first post. I was gifted an ACE 400 and want to find steel (or black iron?) gas piping probably at least 2 ft down. I find the setting a bit daunting and will play with them, but thought someone might give me a good settings starting point. Thanks on advance.

If you have All Metal mode you might try that. If adjustable gain and sensitivity try adjusting towards the max side. But seriously I dont think you will hit 24+” deep.

Hi All. My first post. I was gifted an ACE 400 and want to find steel (or black iron?) gas piping probably at least 2 ft down. I find the setting a bit daunting and will play with them, but thought someone might give me a good settings starting point. Thanks on advance.
As already said, I don’t think you’ll pick up a gas line that deep but it may depend on the diameter of the line.

Thanks. The area has been a construction site for 20 years so there is a lot of junk in the ground-lots of nails. Perhaps a good place to learn how to use this thing.
No, I do not think it is a good place to start learning. You are new to the metal detecting hobby and have an 'OK' entry-level detector. There are a lot of basics to learn in order to know your detector and its strengths and limitations. Trying to hit a 20 year old construction site with a lot of nails and likely other ferrous debris isn't the place to start learning.

This is a terrific outdoor sport that I have been at for over 57 years and I can tell you, hunting in dense iron nails (ferrous debris) that is closely spaced is quite a challenge and results in a lot of good targets being masked. Avid Relic Hunters can fun into very dense iron contaminated sites such as at old ghost towns and such, so detector selection, settings used, search coil size and type, and patience all some into play.

Here is an example: The fellow bought a new Fisher F19 which is a 2-Tone detector. There is a low tone you will hear constantly from the Iron debris, and a high VCO tone for non-ferrous targets. I can assure you, the F19 is the superior detector over the Ace 400 for hunting these types of typically iron-contaminated sites.. www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIZYh3mIFq4

Monte

Dowsing might work. Our city crew uses it to locate underground lines. It seems it doesn't work for some people but does for others. It's worth a try.

We found things with a backhoe (had to dig anyway for new septic lines). I think everything was too deep, and I'm too inexperienced.