Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ace head ID

I have looked at many many axes of the period and I find a lot of similarties but this axe would have been about 8" long and weighed over 2 lbs. Which makes me wonder if it might have been a felling axe. I finally found the design of the makers mark. Or there abouts it was so distorted I may be wrong. I know it looks like the Knights Templar. I also added what the eye might have looked like.
Hey Terry, check out this link again.... down the page is a diagram and pic of similar biscayne felling axe head weighing 3lbs. Also noted on this page is the makers mark struck a number of times on an axe head, leading to speculation that one impression corresponds to a 1lb hatchet head, two impressions corresponds to a 2lb axe head, and three impressions to a 3lb head.

Also of note, a pic of a basket load of axe heads recovered from a 1687 French wreck in the Gulf of Mexico off Texas.

Given what you can make out with maker's mark, believe this is what you have...
cheers mate,

Thanks Okierebel. And Steve once again I appreciate all the help you given me.