Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ace250

va3ser

Hi all . I have a problem that I have come across while using my ace250. It is rather duscuraging and frustrating in some cases. here is the problem. I will find an object and pin point it. I will dig to the depth say it says 4 inches. I will dig to 4 to 6 inches and find nothing. I will cut the sides out more thinking it could be on the sides. I will pin point again and it says 2inches. I try and pin point around the hold that is now 5 inches in diameter and it still says 2 inches at pin point. I will dig down further just incase it has detuned. I will even turn the machine on and off and it will still say 2 inches from the surface and the hole is already 6 inches deep. Is the machine picking something up that is further down? or is it picking something up that is on the side or the back of the coil instead?? any help would be great! Thank you Steve

You might be picking up a smashed aluminum can or similar. If you suspect a large target raise the coil about 10 inches above the ground. Then sweep your coil in the air. If you get a beep then you know it's large. Then move on. You also need to buy a Garrett Propointer. This will help you 100 fold.

First are you pinpointing correctly. If not your coil will read the target all over the place. The 250 is not the easiest detector to pinpoint with. If you're detecting in grass check out to the sides of the top of the hole for a few inches in the grass. Garrett coils will often read a coin or coins laying in the grass next to the hole and make you think they are in the hole. This will also happen if the target is in the dirt you have dug up.

Bill

LORD HELP ME!!! I need a probe or a pointer!!! I know I have pin pointed properly I even went as far as shutting the unit down and restart all over to find the metal object. I will try lifting the coil next time. I even went as far as seeing how big the peice is and with out pin point on the object is no bigger than 3 inchessome times it is even smaller. I even check the size while using pin point. I did this with a dang steel plate I dug (ya I know waste of time but it was a learning lesson). I realize using a pointer cut the work time for digging to mear minutes. I am going to look for a pointer or probe. Thanks for your help!!!

Bill and Khouse have given you some good info.
Just couple of extra points. If your depth meter is jumping around at random depths like you described, then the Ace is telling you that you have a piece of junk. If you have 2 targets, then you may see a regular bounce between 2 depths.
When you slide the coil back, listen to how long it takes for the pinpoint to fade. Anything under 2 inches will give a sudden drop of. Deeper large targets will keep trying to hang on to the signal. A coin will drop off fairly quickly.
Mick Evans.

I STILL say just lift the coil 8-10" (unless you have overmaxed your sensitivity-then maybe a foot) and pinpoint from that height. The target will be in the center of that little arch, where it's supposed to be. I even pinpoint in motion WITHOUT the button from this height.

my answer is its probally in the plug , u dug 4in it should be in the plug easy and simple ,, then it tells you its 2 in it means its out of the hole on the ground or the plug , get a pointer it will help u alot ..
TOM

I had some of those issues got a PP now have no issues I dig 3 times the targets that I used too

I have had that same problem as well. I usually found the coin somewhere at the surface you were probably just missing it. Follow the advice you have read and don't get discouraged. You have to "learn" the machine. It takes time and it is a very good machine!

And as Garrett has said in everything he has written or made statements of... "if it is sounding off something is there"!

Don