Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Adding to My Stable

Canewrap

I've been away from detecting for about 2 years and have decided to get back to it. I will occasionally do relic hunting and
more coinshooting/jewelry hunting. My issue is the build quality I'm seeing on some of the top-end machines. I tend to
get into some rough terrain once-in-a-while and two machines I've trusted were a White's MXT and the X-terra I have now.
Are there any sub $1000 digital machines that would get 8 inches on a button in a red clay environment and have pretty decent
build quality? I know I'm asking a lot, but if there aren't any I'll just add another X-terra. Just would like to try something different.

Never hunted in red Georgia clay but my F5 will hit a dime at 8" down. I use the 11" DD coil which gives me the depth and separation i need.
You won't find to many used ones for sale, there's a reason for that but you definitely can get a brand new one with full factory warranty and a couple extra coils for under 1,000$.

For general hunting including relics, I'd get a Fisher/Tek machine or one of the new Nokta/Makro units. Since you mentioned relics and depth, I'd probably pick a mid or high frequency machine over a low frequency option if you want to include small low conductors in your finds. Recently, the MX7 has impressed me on relics of any kind but you already have a Whites machine.My F19 has been awesome with relics and coins but it might not have the depth you are wishing for with the stock coil. Possibly a T2+ ? It has been recommended many times as a great relic machine that goes deep.

How do you like swinging the MX7? Does it feel pretty balanced? I should have said that I used to have an MXT, but got rid of it because it
was tearing up my shoulder. Yeah, I'm real interested in adding a White's machine back to my current crop. The X-terra is getting some age on it.

I started out, and still enjoy, Coin & Jewelry Hunting since early '65, but even though I started relic Hunting in '69 occasionally, it has consumed at least 90% of my detecting since mid-'83. Enjoying both types of having 'fun' I learned long ago that while there are some deeper targets in some locations that might be found some-of-the-time, most desired smaller-size targets [size=small](such as coins, trade tokens, jewelry, buttons, insignia, bullets, sheep ear tags, chauffeur's licenses, badges, etc., etc.)[/size] are not located all that deep in most environments unless there has been good cause for site disturbance or build-up. Besides, most Relic Hunting sites I work in several western USA states are comprised of a lot of constricting rocks, weedy or brushy vegetation, building rubble or simply an ample amount of trash. That results in limited search ability to achieve 'depth' or deep-target location is hampered by all the shallower positioned masking junk.

Therefore, I most often use smaller-than-stock size search coils or for moderately littered sites a mid-sized search coil. Those provide me with superior performance and unmasking ability while still achieving ample depth-of-detection, with the added benefit that working with a lighter-weight coils and using a slow and methodical sweep to better cover a site the detector package is more comfortable, less nose-heavy and therefore not fatiguing.

Canewrap said:
I've been away from detecting for about 2 years and have decided to get back to it. I will occasionally do relic hunting and more coinshooting/jewelry hunting. My issue is the build quality I'm seeing on some of the top-end machines. I tend to get into some rough terrain once-in-a-while and two machines I've trusted were a White's MXT and the X-terra I have now.
Welcome back, but sorry you've missed out on a couple of years of 'fun.' I've owned and used both the original MXT and the MXT Pro, preferring the latter. I also had the first thee models in the X-Terra series. The X-Terra '30' with the preset GB didn't work in my very mineralized region as it was way too negative and falsed almost anywhere. The X-Terra 50 worked and I liked it, compared with a lot of other units on the market at the time, then when I was provided an X-Terra 70 it immediately became my favorite in the X-Terra series.

I mainly Relic Hunt very littered old sites that abound in nails and other ferrous debris that is closely associated. I also did a fair amount of urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting in a major NW city that has an ample number of parks, schools, sports fields and other productive places to hunt, some of which present challenges being very littered. Both trashy environments, be them rural or urban, hamper depth achievement and challenge a detector/coil combination to be able to work in and amongst rejected junk to find desirable targets.

Canewrap said:
Are there any sub $1000 digital machines that would get 8 inches on a button in a red clay environment and have pretty decent build quality?
Yes! Not all "red clay" is real challenging. I have hunted in "red clay" in several states and done well with what I use/used, and there could be quite a variance between sites so far as Ground Phase read-out as well as the MMI [size=small](Magnetic Mineralization Indication)[/size] between the various sites. Where I live, in Eastern Oregon, and where I usually hunt, in Oregon, Idaho, Nevada and Utah the most, typically in mining area encampments or town sites, old railroad town sites, and other places with higher mineralization, I rely on almost all of my current Detector Outfit to handle the challenges I face.

None of them, not when sold brand new or available today as discontinued models, ever sold for $1000. I would only question the "build quality" of one model in my outfit for rugged use, and that is my Teknetics Omega 8000. It is not a very good Relic Hunting device, of my 9 different models, for iron infested sites, but the Omega 8000 served me well for over five years for some urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting when I wanted to use a visual Target ID detector. I never had a problem with any Omega I owned [size=small](that includes 4 in past years and the 2 I have on-hand today)[/size], but I always pamper my detecting gear, anyway. But of the 9 different models [size=small](that make up my total of 13 detectors)[/size], I guess you could say it would be the most 'fragile' due to the way the housing is mounted on top of the hand-grip.

My other 8 different models are all very durable to rugged in build quality, and all of them have proven themselves afield for both Coin & Jewelry Hunting as well as serious Relic Hunting duty. My 2 currently manufactured models include my White's MX-7 and Nokta-Makro Anfibio Multi. The other 6 models, all discontinued from a few months ago to several years ago, include: Nokta-Makro FORS CoRe and FORS Relic, Tesoro Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX and Silver Sabre [size=small]micro[/size]MAX, and White's XLT and a modified Classic ID.

Canewrap said:
I know I'm asking a lot, but if there aren't any I'll just add another X-terra. Just would like to try something different.
As I mentioned earlier, I have owned three X-Terra models and used the updated 705 a bit a few years ago when someone brought it to a seminar. Yes, they aren't too bad and can work fairly well, but for me I didn't care for the more controlled search coil sweep requirement, nor the performance in most of the more iron littered sites I generally search. I used them a lot side-by-side with my MXT and MXT Pro to compare performance and finally let them go because the other detectors I owned would easily match, or more often out-perform, the X-Terra. Just my personal experiences.

Canewrap said:
How do you like swinging the MX7? Does it feel pretty balanced?
For me, the MX-7 is a light-weight feeling and nicely-balanced detector. I use the 6½" Concentric coil most of the time, and the 2nd coil choice, especially if working in a shallow water environment, is the Detech-made 7" DD open-frame White's coil. I'm in crappy health and still on-the-mend from cervical spine surgery the end of August, due for lower spine surgery on November 29th, and will be seeing the hand/arm surgeon to schedule surgery on both wrists and at least one elbow. Even when the doctors are done at the human repair shop I'll still be getting around with a cane as I have for over a quarter century now. So having and using a detector that is light and well balanced is very important in my case, and the MX-7 is a terrific fit in my outfit for comfort.

Canewrap said:
I should have said that I used to have an MXT, but got rid of it because it was tearing up my shoulder.
Lack of strength and mobility and issues with back, neck, shoulders, arms and hands prevent me from using heavy and awkward detectors for the same reasons. Can't handle long hunts or excess weight.

Canewrap said:
Yeah, I'm real interested in adding a White's machine back to my current crop. The X-terra is getting some age on it.
If you want to add a current White's model, look no farther than the MX-7. If you want to have visual Target ID and good features and performance afield, and keep a watch on the budget, I also suggest you consider the Nokta-Makro CoRe, Relic or Racer 2 [size=small](a real killer price for a brand new 2-coil Pro Pack, too)[/size], or a White's MX-5, and I used to have good success with the Teknetics T2 and T2 Classic especially with the 5" DD coil in trashier sites.

Welcome back to this great sport and I am sure you can find a decent performing, well designed model for a reasonable price.

Monte

Thanks Monte, I really appreciate your thorough answers. The MX-7 is looking like a real contender for me.

Canewrap said:
How do you like swinging the MX7? Does it feel pretty balanced? I should have said that I used to have an MXT, but got rid of it because it
was tearing up my shoulder. Yeah, I'm real interested in adding a White's machine back to my current crop. The X-terra is getting some age on it.

Of all the detectors I have used and still use, the MX7 feels the most balanced to me. With the six shooter coil on it, it feels as weightless as a detector ever could. The balance between the coil weight, control box and battery box weight is as perfect as it gets. I don't have right shoulder issues now but I do have occasional tendinitis in my right elbow and this is the only detector I can use on a regular basis for hours without pain. The F19 with a small coil is light weight as well but not quite as well balanced possibly because there is zero weight under the forearm.

On a side note, I've had an X-Terra 705 and to me, apart from the weird sounding tones on both in 4 tone mode, they are very different machines. The MX7 has taken some getting used to on my part because of a few characteristics that are very different from what I was using before (mainly Fisher/Tek machines) Some of those differences I have come to appreciate and some less but it's been a good machine for me so far.

I'm not familiar with any of the whites or mine lab detectors, however my Teknetics T2 Classic finds the goods. It does well in my highly mineralized soil here in Western Washington state. For picking out the treasure from the trash, the 5" DD coil is hard to beat.The stock 11"DD goes deep and does okay in areas with less trash. In wide open fields with little trash, the CORS Strike (NEL Tornado) a 12x13" DD shines.