Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Additional Omega 8500 Feedback?

berryman

Anyone else out there care to share their initial impressions of the 8500 - especially how it's stacking up against its predecessor - the 8000?

Have a look at these

1. Craig N (Detecting MO) has solid report.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?58,2246450,2246476#msg-2246476

2. And another one from Craig

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=222006

3. JantonS explains what's new about it.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?58,2245581,2245607#msg-2245607

It performs real well. The individual segment volume is probably my favorite feature. I use zero discrimination so being able to attenuate iron audio and still have the 8500 run smooth is a real plus IMO.

I detect by sound most of the time, the audio response is FAST.

While I have the 5in dd coil, I use the 11dd coil most. It separates really well.

The more granular 3digit target id is actually effective. Its not jumpy at all.

I have taken it under powerlines with no problems.

I have perhaps 20 hours on it now and I am impressed.

I mainly look for CW items and relics, it does the job really well.

Later-
Tony in NC

The big question for me is- does it go deeper, does it ID deeper..... in disc mode...... than the 8000?

only with d5 tones. The EMI filters let you effectively get deeper but in a clean no EMI area deep 1, 2, and 3 seem to be the samet go depth but d5 tones does bring out another 1/2" of depth. (also make all faint signals loud good or bad). You still get good tone ID at depth but the number seem to screw higher. Pretty much everything copper or silver past 6 inches get thrown in the quarter range 88-92.

If you don't need the features or the EMI resistance, stick with the 8000.

"If you don't need the features or the EMI resistance, stick with the 8000."

Craig, I'm with you on that. In my testing I have found the 8500 to be the same detector as the 8000 but with the added features. I like d5 as it really brings out the whisper targets. I also like the ability to adjust the target or notch volumes independently. I like the backlight, and the ability to switch from Disc to all metal with just the press of a button. All the added features have just made a really good coin/jewelry detector even better. Like the G2 Plus to the G2, or the F19 to the GBP. I think the added features are worth the price considering the price hasn't changed, but for someone that doesn't want or need the added features, the 8000 is the way to go if a new one can be picked up at the reduced price.

Tom Slick said:
"If you don't need the features or the EMI resistance, stick with the 8000."

Craig, I'm with you on that. In my testing I have found the 8500 to be the same detector as the 8000 but with the added features. I like d5 as it really brings out the whisper targets. I also like the ability to adjust the target or notch volumes independently. I like the backlight, and the ability to switch from Disc to all metal with just the press of a button. All the added features have just made a really good coin/jewelry detector even better. Like the G2 Plus to the G2, or the F19 to the GBP. I think the added features are worth the price considering the price hasn't changed, but for someone that doesn't want or need the added features, the 8000 is the way to go if a new one can be picked up at the reduced price.

Spot on. And yes some of the 8000 nuisances are there still and some have left. But this summarizes it well. I let the 8500 go that I evaluated. But not for any reason other than I'm going to try another greek that I can't get as a dealer. Treasuretek Elite with the ultra 4 coil. (My sister works at Cabelas corporate. :) )

I have only heard the Omega 8500 in what videos I have watched, and twice with friends who make the Welcome-to-Hunt Outings, so I know I can appreciate their comments as they understand learning and using what works in tough-trash challenges. Their comments seemed to follow mine on this subject about 'audio response.'

Having owned and used four Omega 8000's, and having put in a lot of time and found a LOT of coins and desired jewelry, what I 'heard' from the 8500 seemed to be a bit 'tinny-sounding' and more of a quick chirp than the audio I enjoyed from the Omega 8000's.

What is your opinion of the two, the older 8000 and the brand new 8500, so far as the quality and clarity of the audio response?

Thanks,

Monte

mid tone on 3 and 4 tone is weaker and tinny. Iron and Hightone feel the same. I know the original 8000 didn't have a vco tone for disc, just 1 tone, but the 1 tone vco feels about a third vco. Like it's audio gate is clipped on the edges. (similar to mid tone on 3 tone) Now the VCO and all metal tones far smoother than before. All metal on the 8500 is smokin' hot compared to the old.

Monte,
You are correct, the 8500 has a very quick audible response that resembles a 'chirp' as you say. There is benefit in such a short fast sound. It gets the job done and then gets itself out of the way in order to respond to the next target. Many of the old school detectors seemed to have the audio duration of about of about 1/2 second or so. While it wasnt finished with its beep, a couple targets may have been overlooked during that time.

If you get the opportunity to use tge 8500, check the difference of the 'chirp' in the normal deep filter D1, then try D0, its faster yet.

The 8500 chirp is doin great in my heavily trash laden sites.

Deep 0 used with D5 audio is pretty good.

HH
Mike

Mike Hillis said:
Deep 0 used with D5 audio is pretty good.

HH
Mike

As long as you don't run the sensitivity too high. Otherwise you will need to kill the volume level on a lot of categories so you don't go nuts from the noise.