Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Adjusting the sensitivity on ground balancing type machine??

WV62

Just wanted to put this thought out there and see if anybody agrees or disagrees or knows for sure if this idea will work as a way to adjust the sensitivity to the correct base level.

Here is the idea and then I will tell you why I think this may work. I am suggesting that on machines that require ground balancing that we use that number as a base for the sensitivity setting.

So my Fisher F75 will ground balance about 68 in my area. The scale for both sensitivity and ground balance are the same 0 to 99.

Now what gave the idea is my E-Trac, no ground balancing but it reads the ground as you hunt and in Auto it sets the sensitivity level and in manual sensitivity it gives you the suggested sensitivity level. The sensitivity scale for the E-Trac is 0 to 30 and in my area it says my base sensitivity should be set at 18 to 22.

Based on what the E-Trac is doing I am think ground balance and sensitivity is somewhat the same.

Ron in WV

I don't think there is any direct correlation between Ground phase balance & optimal sensitivity/gain setting. They are certainly interrelated though. I choose my gain/sensitivity level to optimize detector stability & signal balance given the site conditions. Mineralization, EMI, Iron level or target density. Ground phase is not the same as mineralization level. It is more of a soil type range. High GB numbers do not necessarily mean high mineralization. It could be only moderate. High mineralization levels may only have moderate GB numbers depending on the type of soil. That is why a Mineralization level readout on a detector is so helpful in setting up your gain on a site.

Without tromping on anyone’s feelings, the above two posts consist of more “why and how” thinking about metal detecting than I’ve seen in awhile. We are always trying to figure out if we are making headway...or a grave mistake. I’ll just add that, when there is a medium to high level of targets, mostly consisting of junk targets, I have had WAY more success running ANY machine of mine STABLE. Trying to “ramrod” your way through junky ground with sensitivity which is too high for the conditions will not have AS positive an outcome in the way of good targets recovered.
Let’s keep this thread going people!

I've never beach hunted but my understanding is the sand is usually very low ground balance, if so does this mean the sensitivity should be set low on beach hunting to make the two to work together?

check the fisher ground balance and go over it with the etrac which gives you the auto suggested sensitivity setting for your ground at 68 on the fisher.

When the Fisher F75 settles at a GB of 68, how many Mineral bars are showing?

check the fisher ground balance and go over it with the etrac which gives you the auto suggested sensitivity setting for your ground at 68 on the fisher.
At least you will know if you can use 1/4- 1/2 - 3/4 or full throttle on sensitivity.

I can only speak of the E-trac... I have recently discovered that I will mask targets if my discrimination is too high, yes the soil is highly mineralized and I believe the E-trac in auto senses the mineralization and compensates up or down. I use strictly manual but listen to my threshold when using a discrimination pattern (open screen is too much for my small brain) I also glance at the auto side once in a while to see what the machine suggests... I do think there is a correlation between sensitivity and ground balance. if your in pretty neutral ground you can run a hotter sensitivity, but get into a heavy iron or mineralized spot and like it was explained in one of my other posts... it's like using high beams in the fog, the light won't penetrate the fog just reflect back no matter how powerful the light.