Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice for beach/surf hunting

headhunter

I have hunted beaches before,but never in the water.Is it best to hunt in a couple feet? Should I be concerned about any issues? Some people were boots,why? Not to be paranoid but,Has anybody had any problems with being bothered/injured my aquatic creatures jellyfish,shark etc. while detecting in the water?

and just from looking at the junk that I have pulled out of the local lakes, I refuse to go in barefoot. Broken glass, shredded aluminum cans, rusty tin cans, fish hooks, etc.

The Florida guys will tell you that stingrays can be stepped on, so you need to shuffle your feet. Sea lice (a larval form of jellyfish, I believe) have just started becoming their usual problem for the season. Adult jelly fish, you have to watch out for. Sharks are a problem for anyone entering the water. Don't get in the water if you have an open wound, even a small one, as blood draws sharks. Also, don't wear dangly jewelry, as that can look like fish scales floating around in the water. If you notice a large school of baitfish near or around you, you might want to exit the water, as predators could be close behind them (sharks, barracudas, etc.)

Well I love going barefoot on beaches, its the only way to go, but now a day's you can really slice your feet up. Where i live its all freshwater beaches. Weve come across enough heroin needles here that its prompted me to wear shoes or boots no matter what, unless i'm sitting barefoot in one location. The problem with the needles, is if they are fresh, a nd not "sterilized" by the water. You may very well get a sickness you never even dreamed of! Same with when i'm diggin with my hands, i am very careful as to not stab any unwanted pinheads!

First of all, let's remember that you have a greater chance of being struck by lightning than being bitten (never mind eaten) by a shark. However the mind is a powerful thing and it can't help but lurk in the back of your mind that the shadow at the edge of the turtle grass isn't a dark patch of grass or a rock but JAWS!! :surprised: :nono: :nono: :nono:.
That said, if you happened to be looking at the business end of a large shark with nothing in your hand but a metal detector and a sand scoop "Brother you've got problems". I know the odds but I always keep my peripherals searching the water especially when I am surrounded by bait fish looking for protection in the cloud of sand I am stirring up.

I ran into a large barracuda 2 days ago, he had to be 5 feet but he looked a lot bigger! He sized me up from about 20 feet, thought the better of it and swam away, I backed away into knee deep water, I could have used some Nitro then as most of the cuda I see in Bermuda are no more than 3 feet tops and they never bother you.

Proper foot gear and gloves are a must I think, way too much glass, etc., it's just not worth it. I wear Chaco watersandals with heavy vibram soles and sturdy non-metallic construction, they keep my feet safe and comfy. I wear water gloves by SUG they only cost about $10 and they fit snug with a velco clasp, plus I can pick up a dime easily with them on; my current set are a year old and still good.

Sunscreen, if you're not wearing it you are going to leave a nasty looking corpse plus get a painful sunburn. A hat, I almost always wear one, but I am folicly challenged as the saying goes.

The biggest danger in our sport besides other people is riptides, they kill more people every year than sharks kill in a decade, easy. Remember never to swim against the current but across it until you are out of the current otherwise you will exhaust yourself and become a bloated statistic.

Play safe out there Kids, it can be dangerous at the beach

BDA:cool:

[attachment 29190 islandfun.jpg]

Remember that late at nite and early morning the drinkers are out, sometimes they are friendly and sometimes looking to get into trouble, You are wearing headphones and looking ahead so your not aware of what is behind you. Ive already had the drunks visit me here in Va Beach this week, most are tame and no problems, the one I let know right off the bat that I was a retired cop and he would go to jail as soon as he got out of the hospital from my scoop takeing off whatever body part got closest to me first. He decided to move on. Also ive had handfulls of wet sand thrown at me, it amazes me that they only decide to have a sand fight when you come along with a detector. Ill take my chances with the sea life.

Well,Thanks all for the advice.I never thought about possible trouble makers or drunks,but now that makes sense.Good points about glass and tin cans,fish hooks.Didn't think about heroin needles,not that scuba shoes will stop the needle from sticking through the sole anyway,it is better than bare feet.Thanks for the replies!!!

possible a third party could get the policia,,,describe your honker ring and say they lost it and you wont return it,,,,Not real likely,,but reveling in a good find is probably better done later,cs

I have had Jellyfish wrapped around my neck and dangling in my face. They can hurt a bunch and if you are allergic they could put you in the hospital. Sharks are uncommon but i have had 3 known encounters. Two with hammerheads and one with a small 8 foot Tiger Shark. I came away fine in all cases but did a little aggressive shoving with my coil on the tiger shark. It ended my day on that beach and keeps me looking over my shoulder. Sting rays are a problem in some areas. I ran into bunches of them near Panama City, Fl. I did go to the hospital once when I stepped on a Stone fish> Those back spines have proved fatal in some cases. I had some nasty reactions about 1 hour after the encounter when my vision went to nearly none had cramps in my diaphragm. Made breathing a dedicated effort for about 30 minutes.

Cuts are a problem if you fan rather than scoop. You also need to be careful in some areas about encountering needles dropped by drug users. Those can lead to all sorts of problems. I had a friend that got punctured by one and had to go through months of medical testing.

Mostly you will just have fun and little problem. We all could get struck by lightning, crunched by a careless driver or hit by a falling meteorite.

I know that place. The mountain in the background is Diamond Head, Oahu, Hawaii.