Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice for upcoming Florida Trip

Atlas

Hi All,

Heading to Florida in a few weeks. I will be starting the trip in the treasure coast area which I have hunted many times before so I know about the lease sites and what to expect there.

However, on this trip I will be spending some time in the Naples area and plan on doing a bit of water hunting. So far I haven't come across any info on restrictions in the Naples area. It looks like the water is open on the gulf coast of Florida. Any additional information would be appreciated.

I plan on bringing my 3030 and will be packing both the 11" and 17" coils. I'm thinking about what to bring for a back up machine and am leaning toward my Excal but could bring my surf PI. Only problem with surf PI is that it has the beach coil and not the diving coil so working it in the water is a bit of a pain due to buoyancy.

HH

Excalibur would be my suggestion. I'm just above Naples and it should do a fine job!

Excal, but you could always weight the buoyant coil if you really wanted to use it.
Youre gonna love that 17"er on the wet and dry if you didn't already know it. Be prepared to dig deep.

Why the excel.The Excalibur is just as good as the 3030 so in theory you would have two detectors exactly the same.Take the pi machine so you have the greatest chance if conditions do not favour the 3030.If conditions are really quiet,your pi may allow you to tag that target that is too deep for the 3030.

Being in Fl there isnt that much depth difference between a PI and a 3030 low minerals here. There is more iron out there than u think..... IMO you will find just as much gold at the end of the day covering more beach.

Dig..... buddy when did ya move South?

imo, the Excal isn't 'as good' as the CTX especially with the 17" coil. If youre an expert on Excal tones, I can go with it, but an expert doesn't ask that question to begin with. He already knows the ins and outs of each machine. But really, theres so many variables that 'as good' can mean almost anything to anyone. We need to talk specifics before assigning the label of 'as good'- each machine has its strengths.

But to clarify my choice, the OP is leaning towards his Excal for buoyancy reasons and should trust his gut unless there is a clear reason not to. I also made a suggestion on how to mitigate his PI problem if he really wants to take that one.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I live out west but have relatives in Fla. and make trips there once a year or so. I've mostly hunted the Treasure Coast beaches and sorry to say have no Spanish silver so far but like Mel said "Today is the Day"

I'll primarily be hunting with the 3030 and the 17" coil for my Treasure Coast hunting for as long as my arm holds out. I think it would work well on the west coast also and I know it will hit coin sized objects at ~18" from my last trip to Fla.

The Excal would primarily be a back up machine and possibly a go to machine on the gulf side when hunting the water. I find in the water I hunt more by tones and not so much the meter. I have also hunted the Excal in pinpoint for more depth and that is an option also.

I see Anderson makes a counter-weight for the surf-PI so that could be an option also.

Decisions - Decisons:)

HH

Good Luck, Atlas. (and a harness Really makes a diff with that 17" coil; even a homemade one)

If your Xcal isnt modified then i agree its not up to par with the CTX especially with the larger coil. But if it goes down id still take it over a PI just because you dont know the beaches and could waste an awfully lot of time gridding and digging.

Thanks for all the good feedback.

I'm pretty sure it will be the 3030 with the Excal as backup. If I didn't have the 17" coil for the 3030 then I'd probably bring the pulse. Most of the time it is sanded in on the east coast when trying to find Spanish silver. That is the stuff is deep. If that was all I was looking for I'd bring my GP3000 with 16" coil. Now I bet that would go deep on that mild Florida sand :surprised: One of these days I'll have to try it.

Not sure how sanded in things are in Naples but I'll mostly be going for recent drops. Anyway the 17" coil should give me decent depth for stuff that's a little older.

FYI I have been using a homemade sling for the 3030 and also use one for my Excal. It takes off most of the weight and I like to be able to let the machine go and just have hang by my side if I need two hands etc. I'm working on a new homemade straight shaft for my Excal. My lower rod is frozen (sanded) into my current shaft so it won't break down for the trip. I'll post some picks when done.