Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice needed for 10 yo boy detecting.

A friend of mine asked for some advice on a detector for his 10 y/o boy (5 brothers/sisters and is in the middle.) From talking to the Dad, a VLF should work, the problem is which one. He's looking for something decent that will not break the bank but works well enough not to discourage the lad. Infinium and ATP do pretty much what I need so have not looked a lot at new detectors lately. Too, I'm probably not a good judge for entry level. Thoughts, recommendations, etc? My one thought for a boy that age is it should probably be able to handle a little bit of water

A friend of mine asked for some advice on a detector for his 10 y/o boy (5 brothers/sisters and is in the middle.) From talking to the Dad, a VLF should work, the problem is which one. He's looking for something decent that will not break the bank but works well enough not to discourage the lad. Infinium and ATP do pretty much what I need so have not looked a lot at new detectors lately. Too, I'm probably not a good judge for entry level. Thoughts, recommendations, etc? My one thought for a boy that age is it should probably be able to handle a little bit of water.
If he is going to be detecting on salt water beaches too, it's the Vanquish 440 or 540 all day long. if he's not going to be detecting, on salt water Beaches Simplex or Vanquish 440 -540. Simplex is 100% waterproof, & it's performance capabilities are awesome, but doesn't do good on salt water beaches. Vanquishes coil is waterproof, but the control box isn't waterproof, the Vanquish performance capabilities, are excellent in all conditions.

If it was me, I would give him a Garrett Ace 250. It is light, simple to use, quite deep enough for a beginner and can be had for less than $100 or so. Not much loss if he doesn't take to it, it will find most anything the others will and will help him decide if he wants to continue the sport. If the kid gets into it seriously, he will tell the dad what he wants to upgrade to. Just my opinion.

If it was me, I would give him a Garrett Ace 250. It is light, simple to use, quite deep enough for a beginner and can be had for less than $100 or so. Not much loss if he doesn't take to it, it will find most anything the others will and will help him decide if he wants to continue the sport. If the kid gets into it seriously, he will tell the dad what he wants to upgrade to. Just my opinion.
Ace 250 is a solid machine.
Found some nice earrings at a tot lot.
Rang solid nickel.

A friend of mine asked for some advice on a detector for his 10 y/o boy (5 brothers/sisters and is in the middle.) From talking to the Dad, a VLF should work, the problem is which one. He's looking for something decent that will not break the bank but works well enough not to discourage the lad. Infinium and ATP do pretty much what I need so have not looked a lot at new detectors lately. Too, I'm probably not a good judge for entry level. Thoughts, recommendations, etc? My one thought for a boy that age is it should probably be able to handle a little bit of water.
Hi, Ace 300 would be a good starter!

If he is 10 and Dad wants him to get serious and learn, and share with brothers and sisters, get the Apex. Add the 5X8 Ripper coil and you have a very good set-up.

Monte