Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice needed for detector model

INVASCdigger

Hello X-Terra fans,

I'm looking to update my detector with one of the newer Minelabs, and I'm seriously considering the X-Terra 705. I've been using a Minelab Explorer XS that I bought about 10 years ago. It's a great machine, but it is heavy and can be awkward to use at times. I bought a "Swingy Thingy" to lighten the detector, but it ties me to the machine and there are times when I want more mobility. Anyways, I'm a retired senior citizen (i.e. old guy), and a lighter machine would be a welcome addition. I mostly hunt for Civil War relics in Northern Virginia, where we have the red, highly mineralized soil. I'd appreciate advice for the best coil to get with the 705 for those conditions...keeping in mind that I want to keep the machine light-weight I do detect for old coins, too, so a coil that would work well for deep old coins would also be needed. Ideally, it would be great to be able to use the same coil for relics that I'd use for coins, but I'll consider the advice from this forum whether one coil or two would be best. I don't ever see myself nugget hunting, so I can rule that coil out. The other machine that I've considered is the E-TRAC, but I'd rather not have to spend that much money...especially if the X-Terra will perform about as well for the kind of detecting that I intend to do. I welcome any comments on the E-TRAC, too, especially if you've done comparisons between the E-TRAC and X-Terra 705. Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you might be able to offer.
INVASCdigger

Hi INVASCdigger,

I have an X-terra 70 and I would recommend you look for a used 70 that has been well cared for (less $$ than the 705) and get a 10.5" DD Lower Frequency (7.5 khz) coil for it. This coil will handle your dirt better than the concentric or the Higher Frequency coils available and gets great depth. The 705 has a few nice features, but if you're trying to save a little money its what I would do. Definitely that coil for your CW hunting though. It makes the detector a little nose heavy, but it still a lot lighter than any of the Whites machines. That DD coil is also good for coinshooting, but if you'll be doing your coinshooting in a trashy area the 6" DD coil is what you want for that. I use both of the coils I just mentioned on my X-terra 70 and love 'em. I had a 705, but the international symbols on the keypad just annoyed the %^*& out of me and I wasn't getting any better depth with it than my 70 (just my experience). If you want any more information, please feel free to PM me.

Regards,
Bill

Look for a used 705. They are out there. I paid $300 for mine in perfect condition with the original box, manual, etc....

Any under about $500 are likely worth it. They can't be very old, and may even be new enough to qualfy for the transferable warranty.

Wow, didn't know that 705s were going that inexpensive already. I just might start looking around for one myself.

Think the XT-705 would do you well, if used with one of the 10.5" DD coils. Actually I believe the HF coils handle mineralization a little better than the MF coils do, but the medium freq. coil will hit on silver a slightly harder. Like mentioned the 6" DD HF coil is really great in trashy areas and surprisingly deep for a small coil. All the FBS detectors are quite heavy and for that reason wouldn't recommend the Etrac, but only because of the weight factor. The XT-705 is much lighter and seems to handle EMI better, plus it is very easy on batteries too as compared to the Minelab FBS detectors. The FBS detectors do seem to handle mineralization better and go a little deeper, but believe the extra depth mostly comes from the 11" DD Pro coil they now use.

The Xterra, either 70 or 705 can't be beat for relic hunting!! Either 10.5DD would work for relic & coin hunting. I would sell the ol' XS, they are still selling for $300-$400 and pick up a good used Xterra. I use a straight rod setup that I think is better balanced than the stock rod. HH Mark

You have + and - both ways. The X-Terra is light and a GREAT relic hunter for sure. On the other hand its VERY hard to beat the depth and stability of an E-Trac. Feel free to give me a call for info on either. I can help you and give you a great deal on either. :thumbup:

Mark,

How did you rig up your straightrod arrangement? I'm really thinking about converting my 70 to something like that.

Regards,
Bill

I have both the XT-70 and the 705 both bought used and I love them both.

To be honest I'm slightly partial to the XT-70 mostly due to the non-internatoinal symbols.

Great MD's, best all around machines out there IMHO.

Good Hunting.

Denny

Oh, and by the way I love the stock coil. Have others, use stock most.

I have both models also, they are both great! I went out today and got ten bucks or so in clad. They are both very good duel purpose machines. My grand son got his first nugget this last summer with a '70 and I got my first VLF nugget with a 705 last week. I don't see how a guy can go wrong with an Xtarra!
Bunk