Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice on VX3 Learning Curve

c4teeter

[size=medium]Hello fellow treasure hunters,
I just recently jumped back into the White's detector bandwagon, after owning MInelab's, SE Pro, E-trac and XS.. I just purchased a VX3 that FedEx will have here Tues afternoon. Before that, the only White's detector I've owned is the XLT (twice). I live less than a mile from the Gulf Coast Beach, but am really interested in digging old coins (silver) and old relics... In the early 90's,I murdered silver rings (mostly toe rings) and a couple of gold rings at the Florida beach with the XLT.. In 2010, after purchasing my second rainbow series XLT, I managed to dig a 1941 silver quarter (first silver) in wet salt sand at around 14" on a Mississippi beach on a beach program I had surfed for on the internet. I know that I will need to read the manual a few times. I've been reading the forums (including Rob's Links) and doing some youtube searching. I found this video (link below) and it looked like the VX3 wasn't hitting on the target every time. SHOULD I BE WORRIED THAT I WILL MISS SOMETHING? I know that the detector is only as good as the person that knows their machine. I've also read that I'm going to need to get rid of the stock coil. Am I going to need to find "V" rated coils (big and small; as I have one site that is littered with nails)?I really would appreciate any input.. THANKS[/size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_pi9Nl1zU

SHOULD I BE WORRIED THAT I WILL MISS SOMETHING?

If your worried about missing targets you may as well throw in the towel now......;o) We all miss targets no matter what the detector. I think once you get it and start playing around with it and tweaking some of the settings you will be fine.

Thanks Bill, just the video kind of worried me... seems like the guy (detector) should have been able to hit it every time, from any side (assuming that there were not any other targets around the coin). I know with the explorer I would have to go around a target that was masked with a nail beside it... Guess I'm nervous and excited about the vx3, since I.ve been using the Minelabs..... II guess like any other machine, I'll have to learn it before throwing it out and trying the next one. Thanks for the advice....

He really didn't tell much about how it was setup either so he may have not had it running at the best settings for his soil either. Keep us posted once you get it.

That 950 coil will be good on the beach. If you are going to hunt trashy sites or ground with a lot of mineralization then i would suggest getting a DD coil for your VX3. Just take your time. It will all come to you. Good luck

Did he say sensitivity at 9? must of meant the gain, he needed to give more information, also i would like to know where he had the recovery delay set? his swing didn't seem to match his recovery delay to me, that might of been why it seemed to null on passes.

Thanks for that info; at least I might know what to adjust on a situation like that...

Thanks for the info on the coils... Do I need to make sure I get ones that are "V" rated?

Do I need to make sure I get ones that are "V" rated?

I would try to. Some of the non v rated ones seem to work fine but I would get the V rated one just to make sure. I am not sure how long the D2 has been out. Maybe all of them are V rated but i'm not sure. Maybe someone else can answer that. If you are going to look for some used ones I would try to make sure they were. Seems like used coils seem to go for around the same price V rated or not.

I must say, for starters the 950 coil does a darn good job!!! I would get a SEF 12x10 before i get the 2DD whites, i have both and like the SEF much better.

Doug in VA

Thanks Doug, might be the first coil I go after, if I don't get a small one first....

You have to stop watching Utube. There are some sad videos made. Sorry just MHO.

I agree with you 110%.... but I do enjoy watching Bill's (Dirtfishing) videos. I think he has owned every detector known to man:rofl: But I've also enjoyed the links you supplied as well:thumbup: Keep up the good work.. Sometimes I like to watch the movie and then read the book.....:help:

Does the vx3 have mixed mode pro with the split headphone signal?

Nevermind I see that it doesnt. This feature sets the v3i apart from every other detector. I think this will need its own topic.