Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

advise for making discrimination patterns

Nock

Sorry I deleted my message. I would to make some new patterns inside my house while weather is bad. Is there any issues doing this with the etrac.Any input will be appreciated.

No issues at all, i do it all the time.
One thing to keep in mind if you do this in the house is all the metal around and under the floor which the detector will find sooner or later.
I enable manual sensitivity and adjust it down to minimum sensitivity to keep the detector from squawking while creating patterns in the house and outside too for that matter.

You're welcome to try this...

Rob, don't take this the wrong way, but if one is after the real deep goodies that upper right hand corner you got blanked out is exact ID area i found 14 deep silvers last season at 11 to 13 inches deep and one early 1900s brass auto key fob medallion at 14 inches.
Yeah, they were all jumpy but in that ballpark. Don't know why but my best guess is the eTRAC was at its threshold of detection and could of had problems resolving accurate IDs.
Just say'n.

ironsight said:
Rob, don't take this the wrong way, but if one is after the real deep goodies that upper right hand corner you got blanked out is exact ID area i found 14 deep silvers last season at 11 to 13 inches deep and one early 1900s brass auto key fob medallion at 14 inches.
Yeah, they were all jumpy but in that ballpark. Don't know why but my best guess is the eTRAC was at its threshold of detection and could of had problems resolving accurate IDs.
Just say'n.

Top RIGHT HAND? I'm not offended or anything negative. I don't have my E-Trac (YET) but I am reading everything I can find, tinkering with the emulator, and I have gotten to use a buddy of mine's E-Trac for a half hour once and hopefully will again before he goes back home. I thought the top right corner was wide open (it's white or accepted). I normally put a disclaimer with this stating that I built it with the emulator and have no real world experience with an E-Trac and this pattern. Additionally I usually ask that if anyone uses it and edits the pattern, that they just let me know what and why they edited it.

I take your input as constructive and am still learning so thank you very much!

robby4570 said:
ironsight said:
Just say'n.

Top RIGHT HAND? I'm not offended or anything negative. I don't have my E-Trac (YET) but I am reading everything I can find, tinkering with the emulator, and I have gotten to use a buddy of mine's E-Trac for a half hour once and hopefully will again before he goes back home. I thought the top right corner was wide open (it's white or accepted). I normally put a disclaimer with this stating that I built it with the emulator and have no real world experience with an E-Trac and this pattern. Additionally I usually ask that if anyone uses it and edits the pattern, that they just let me know what and why they edited it.

I take your input as constructive and am still learning so thank you very much!
After taking another look at the pattern today with a clearer head, you are absolutely correct Rob, my bad. :surrender:

I've never used the emulator or downloaded patterns. Must of been the light green/gray, I'm used to seeing black/whitish patterns. Of course having a few beers before posting that reply had nothing to do with it! LOL!

One thing i will say regarding that pattern is you're gonna dig up a lot of pull tabs with it if you search junk dense parks. But it will find gold jewelry and nickels. Nickels, gold and pull tabs can share the same ID area. My junk park pattern while it rejects the pull tab area, it also has a nickel accept notch area.

I gave up finding gold jewelry in the trashy parks around here. I'd have to dig up a thousand pull tabs, can slaw and foil to find one gold ring. These days my junk park pattern rejects just about everything except the upper right hand coin area and the nickel notch. However i only use that pattern in relatively newer parks where there's no hope of finding any deep silver.
In old parks or areas where there's the potential of deep silver or deep gold, its open screen using ferrous tones. Those older parks at least around here are typically infested with deep nails. Where there's deep corroded nails in those parks, there's bound to be deep silver too.

Good luck when you finally get your eTRAC. You're gonna like it.

ironsight said:
After taking another look at the pattern today with a clearer head, you are absolutely correct Rob, my bad. :surrender:

I've never used the emulator or downloaded patterns. Must of been the light green/gray, I'm used to seeing black/whitish patterns. Of course having a few beers before posting that reply had nothing to do with it! LOL!

One thing i will say regarding that pattern is you're gonna dig up a lot of pull tabs with it if you search junk dense parks. But it will find gold jewelry and nickels. Nickels, gold and pull tabs can share the same ID area. My junk park pattern while it rejects the pull tab area, it also has a nickel accept notch area.

I gave up finding gold jewelry in the trashy parks around here. I'd have to dig up a thousand pull tabs, can slaw and foil to find one gold ring. These days my junk park pattern rejects just about everything except the upper right hand coin area and the nickel notch. However i only use that pattern in relatively newer parks where there's no hope of finding any deep silver.
In old parks or areas where there's the potential of deep silver or deep gold, its open screen using ferrous tones. Those older parks at least around here are typically infested with deep nails. Where there's deep corroded nails in those parks, there's bound to be deep silver too.

Good luck when you finally get your eTRAC. You're gonna like it.

Thanks Ironsight! I know it's gonna need some tweaking in the field but I figure it's a good start. I don't mind pulltabs too much right now, I mostly (95%) water hunt so it's no biggie to scoop up a pulltab. Now that I've started really dirt digging, I'm leaning away from them. I'll email you the pattern if you want to play with it. For some reason, I can't upload them here...

"Thanks Ironsight! I know it's gonna need some tweaking in the field but I figure it's a good start. I don't mind pulltabs too much right now, I mostly (95%) water hunt so it's no biggie to scoop up a pulltab. Now that I've started really dirt digging, I'm leaning away from them. I'll email you the pattern if you want to play with it. For some reason, I can't upload them here"

You should do fine with that pattern for beach or water hunting. Maybe tweak away once you get some experience digging junk.
Trashy park hunting, not so much unless you're willing to dig up hundreds of pull tabs in the process. Been there, done that and it ain't no fun.
Yep, scooping up a pull tab at the beach and digging them up at a trashy park with a garden spade are two completely different endeavors.

Keep in mind i've yet to do any real water detecting. River shores are about it. One of these days i'm gonna try searching the nearest beach but with a more or less open pattern with some ferrous discrimination and scoop everything and anything my eTRAC sniffs out and tweak the pattern from there on.

ironsight said:
"Thanks Ironsight! I know it's gonna need some tweaking in the field but I figure it's a good start. I don't mind pulltabs too much right now, I mostly (95%) water hunt so it's no biggie to scoop up a pulltab. Now that I've started really dirt digging, I'm leaning away from them. I'll email you the pattern if you want to play with it. For some reason, I can't upload them here"

You should do fine with that pattern for beach or water hunting. Maybe tweak away once you get some experience digging junk.
Trashy park hunting, not so much unless you're willing to dig up hundreds of pull tabs in the process. Been there, done that and it ain't no fun.
Yep, scooping up a pull tab at the beach and digging them up at a trashy park with a garden spade are two completely different endeavors.

Keep in mind i've yet to do any real water detecting. River shores are about it. One of these days i'm gonna try searching the nearest beach but with a more or less open pattern with some ferrous discrimination and scoop everything and anything my eTRAC sniffs out and tweak the pattern from there on.

I don't really plan on using it for beach or water, I have 11 acres of land and then on top of that I have a Ghost Town I am working so this will primarily be a relic hunting machine. I will likely run it wide open for relics but occasionally I will do parks and tot-lots and that's when I'll really play with the discrim and tweak the pattern. Since we see a lot of Canadians here, I have opened up a few ares for C'nuck coinage...

Rob said:
I don't really plan on using it for beach or water, I have 11 acres of land and then on top of that I have a Ghost Town I am working so this will primarily be a relic hunting machine. I will likely run it wide open for relics but occasionally I will do parks and tot-lots and that's when I'll really play with the discrim and tweak the pattern. Since we see a lot of Canadians here, I have opened up a few ares for C'nuck coinage...
OK, 95% water hunting and 5% relic hunting?:confused:
I know what you're saying though as i've got 20 acres of land and its only a few miles from a famous mid 1800s outlaw hideout. Every Spring when the brush is low, i'll spend a few days sweeping some of my land looking for that elusive buried outlaw stash. Some of my back acreage is on high ground too which could of been the trail those outlaws used to avoid the swampy areas to get to their hideout.
So far all i found is what i think is a corroded broken off frizzen from a flintlock rifle and a corroded horseshoe. :(

ironsight said:
OK, 95% water hunting and 5% relic hunting?:confused:

Why confused? I live 5 minutes from the water and have 80 or so miles of beach wide open to me. In the Spring and Fall I hunt the shallows ( 5 mil wetsuit time in water up to my butt or a tad deeper but not chest deep) for about 5 or 6 hours a day 2 or 3 days a week, Summertime I am in the water up to neck deep 8 hours a day when surf permits. If the surf is too rough, I'll go to the bay and hunt or stay home and do "honey-do's". If I have to skip water hunting I promise you I hit the dry sand with the Sovereign at some point. I get 3 days off work each week - Tu/We/Thu - and I make the most of them.

I've built a pretty good toolbox of Detecting Tools...

Surf PI and Stealth 720i for the water
Sovereign Elite primarily for the sand
ACE250 for light duty dry sand and relics

And coming soon..... E-Trac for serious coin and relic dirt fishin'