Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AF23C coil on Multi Kruzer pros and cons?

The AF23C is a round-shaped 9" diameter Concentric coil for the Kruzer and Anfibio models.
The KR18C is a round-shaped 7" diameter Concentric coil for the Kruzer and Anfibio models.

I have owned them both and was very familiar with the 7" Concentric as it was my favorite 'General Purpose' coil on my Impact [size=small](that was stolen)[/size] as well as on the Racer 2. Even his day the 7" Concentric stays on my Racer 2 'full-time' as it is a very versatile search coil for day-to-day detecting, and especially when Coin Hunting in and around picnic sites and other places where I encounter a lot of Bottle Caps. It also helps in Relic Hunting type sites with a lot of rusty tin and tin shards.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against using Double-D coil and I have been since 1971 ... on certain makes and models that perform well with a DD coil based upon the detector's circuitry design and the type of site challenges encountered.

Most places I choose to hunt have very dense trash, especially ferrous-based junk, and I have favored smaller-size search coils since '71, and using them since '68. By 'smaller-size' I include coils of about 5" to 6½" diameter. My 2nd most-used search coils are those that are when I call 'mid-size' and those would be coils in the 7" round to 5X9½ elliptical or 9" round size range. I have a round 9" coil on one of my other make/model detectors, so I used that unit with 9" coil and my Racer 2 w/7" Concentric coil along with a 7" on a Kruzer and 9" on an Anfibio for comparisons for Coin Hunting urban sites as well as searching a more open WWII Internment Camp and another POW Camp. For comparison, since the 9" was a new coil offering from them, I

After a week of detecting time and comparisons, I found that I was just fine with what I already had for comfort and balance as well as performance. I didn't care for the 9" compared with two other 9" round coils due to the weightiness, and the rod-mount location being too far to the rear from center. That made the newer 9" Concentric feel too nose-heavy and poorly balanced, at least for me to enjoy making use of it. Also, I preferred the 7" Concentric coil's feel, and also liked the better handling of rusty washers, and Bottle Caps over the 9" Concentric.

I have generally found a round-shaped Concentric coil to handle Bottle Caps / Crown Caps a little easier than a common-size Double-D coil, but even that can vary based on the coil size and configuration combined with the individual metal detector brand / model circuitry design. While a smaller size to perhaps a mid-size Concentric coil might have some advantages handling ferrous challenged targets. I've also favored more of the older analog models over using some of the modern digital circuitry-design models. I reached my conclusions about a year ago and haven't had a desire to change.

So, I favor the 7" Concentric for the reasons mentioned: Lighter, better balanced, more comfortable. and does a better job, in my opinion, handling those Crown Caps. But, like I said, 'that's me' and I know some folks who like the 9" Concentric because it works for them.

Monte