Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AFTER WORK FINDS

CampPollardC.S.A. wrote:
"Could have been a sinker?"

Back in the early 1980s I had in-laws wo lived in the Fort Fisher NC area. While digging there, I found lots of minies which had been pierced through the skirt, just like the one in JCNC's photo. Like you, I was curious about the purpose - particlularly because of the quantity of them I'd found. The local diggers told me the purpose was to use the minie as a fishing-line sinker. Considering the quantity of them that turn up in seacoast & riverbank sites (but not at "inland" sites), I think the guess is correct.

However, there is another other purpose, IF the hole is placed where it penetrates into the *bottom* of the minie's base-cavity. You put a hollow stick into the hole (from the outside), then put a bit of tobacco into the cavity, light it, and you can get a few tokes.

Don't laugh. Hey, *I've* been that desperate for some smoke. ;-)

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy [Pete George]

Vlad wrote:
"Smoking lead - that's some heavy stuff! You always did have a good supply of those funny looking bullets,"

{Humor mode: ON)
(Wounded-Dignity mode: ON)
Hey, I already explained that I dug lots of those funny-looking bullets in the Fort Fisher defenses (Cape Fear river fortifications).

Vlad continued:
"but I never smelled anything funny burning [Mexican Spinach, Latin Lettuce, you know, South of the Border Butts, aka El Jointo]."

That's because I haven't had any since 1973 - the year before I started metal-detecting. But if we had met earlier... ;-)

Vlad continued:
"Thought you acted a little giddy at some Civil War Shows - do you think it was the antimony or the tin that got you?"

Not antimony or tin. It was the lead-oxide. (Which is what bullet-patina is, you know). You also know that I've (literally) handled tens-of-thousands of dug minies, unintentionally inhaling their dust. Lead-oxide causes brain damage. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. : )

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy

Vlad wrote:
"Didn't some primers use Fulminate of Mercury, or Mercury Styphanate?"

Yep, Fulminate of Mercury was the primer in percussion-caps. Fortunately for us, it deteriorates very quickly when exposed to weather.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy