Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

After work hunt nets silver

407floyd

Went back to the same site as the last post and got this well-worn 1918 Merc. The car key is a 1935-1966 GM ignition. The compact has someones name etched on the edge (Elmo). This site obviously had a lot of recent activity with all the clad being uncovered.

Congrats on finding the silver. That is one well worn merc. I always enjoy finding well worn coins as well as nice ones. I like to think about the time in history that they came from. Was it during war time or a time of peace. Was it during a time of prosperity or of poverty. Was it around during the depression? I enjoy history and also like to think about the many people who may have handled that particular coin and what their stories may be. Still waiting to find my 1st merc. glad you found an old one and rescued a piece of history. The compact case is a nice find as well.

nice quarter/dime to penny ratio!!
Ever notice how when a silver shows up in the hole, there a split second pause in time when everything stands still just for a fraction?

Dirtdigger,what is it about this addiction that makes otherwise mature and sane men (Mudpuppy excluded) become completely obsessed?
I agree about always thinking about it!
HH Ed in co.

I haven't quite figured how to curb the addiction part. Some days or weeks lately I only get about an hour and a half to detect spread over 3 days of 30 minute hunts. I am busy with family, work and other responsibilities. I keep telling myself there will bemore time someday. I enjoy even the short hunts nowadays. My daughter an I were at the park on Saturday and we had her 1st hunt. It only lasted 15 minutes, because we got rained out. I was swinging the detector and she was digging. She dug a ring and 32 cents in change. It was fun and exciting. It reminded me of why I like this hobby so much and why it is addicting. I love history and by detecting I can save a piece of history. I hope you get many more hours at that park cleaning it out, before they build over the top of all those great finds. Keep us posted on what you find. Good luck and HH.

"what is it about this addiction that makes otherwise mature and sane men become completely obsessed?"

Remember when you were 8 years old and waiting for Christmas Morning? Well when a nice silver coin or gold ring comes peeking out of the sand or dirt I am back to being 8 years old and it is Christmas Morning and I just opened one of my presents.

Knowing that there are many more Presents hidden somewhere drives us to go find them. The anticipation of the next good find drives us.

I hunt and Fish. When I am hunting I am always anticipating seeing the animal that I am hunting. When fishing I am anticipating the next fish. When metal detecting I am anticipating the next good find.

We "Know" that there are good items to be found and we are always anticipating that next one. Got to go open myself a Christmas Present.

GeorgeinSC said:
"what is it about this addiction that makes otherwise mature and sane men become completely obsessed?"

Remember when you were 8 years old and waiting for Christmas Morning? Well when a nice silver coin or gold ring comes peeking out of the sand or dirt I am back to being 8 years old and it is Christmas Morning and I just opened one of my presents.

Knowing that there are many more Presents hidden somewhere drives us to go find them. The anticipation of the next good find drives us.

I hunt and Fish. When I am hunting I am always anticipating seeing the animal that I am hunting. When fishing I am anticipating the next fish. When metal detecting I am anticipating the next good find.

We "Know" that there are good items to be found and we are always anticipating that next one. Got to go open myself a Christmas Present.

Well said George!

-pete

Thats a great haul there, Floyd! Congrats on that merc and all that loot:clapping:

Boys, I dont know what it is about this Sport over the others I've had that somewhat took hold to an addiction level...I guess its because a guy can find MONEY instead of working for it! :rofl:
Mud

Nice rescue of the merc! Haven't pulled a 1918 yet. She's definatley seem some pockets over the years. I wish there was a was a way to. date the drop of a certain coin. That would be soooo cool. Ok and for addictions I'm a die hard steelheader, now that is a life changing hobby and THIS hobby, metal detecting got it beat. I haven't hit the rivers barely at all last year! I bought a at pro so I could hunt year round. Fish all over Washington are breathing a little easier since this "hobby" walked into my life! H/h y'all.

Thanks for the comments everyone. The things that keep me going are relics like the compact that have a name attached. I might be able to research the previous owners of the property and find who Elmo was. Elmo might have driven the Nash that belongs to the key I found there earlier. I plan on going back when my DFX comes back from the shop to find more clues.