Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Age of ax head?

homebre

Found this this past weekend in a field. Anyone know the ~age and if it would be a good candidate for electrolysis?
Thx,
Andy from Hillsborough

Hi Andy,

Given the condition and the lack of a size reference, it's hard to tell how old it is. Just a WAG .... maybe a hundred years or so. Some axe heads have the name of the manufacturer or a makers mark stamped on them that can be traced. If yours had one, it's probably long gone due to the amount of corrosion that's present. I doubt that electrolysis could bring it back. Still ... you may wish to try it anyway. I wouldn't worry about devaluing the find. Single bit axe heads of this style usually go for 10 - 15 bucks in good condition. At worst, the effort will provide you with a reference for using electrolysis on future finds.

Have Fun!
DD

Nice find, it kind of looks like its hand made. It could have a stamp on it that would say (m.w.h hand made) which would have been made in Duluth, Minnesota which would put in the age range of late 1800 to early 1900's. I found one this last summer. It cleaned up very nice. I sand blasted it and it worked out great. If it turns out too be (m.w.h hand made) try Google it as it is a great history story. Good luck on your research.

I can tell it looks old... KEN