Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AHOY GANG.....

George-CT

Thanks for your concern about our well being, much appreciated. Here is how it went....

Well, only took 2 weeks, but we are back online as of about 1 hour ago....Big oak tree came down the night of the hurricane and took out the phone lines and internet and our 5th wheel camper. Insurance company totaled it.... Lot of big tree damage up this way and there were lines down everywhere.... Lot of trees all over our place down. Looks like next years winter wood is on the ground already. Have a generator so that made life a lot easier. Just a lot of clean up. The storm rains never hurt the process gravel driveway, but 2 days ago we had a real nasty one. 3 inches of rain in short amount of time. The road drains up on the main road were all blocked with leaves, sticks etc so the water built up and then ran down our entrance. Took out one heck of alot of gravel. Town is responsible for than one so they repaired it once again, but even back here on the other side of the hill we had a lot of wash so I've been out there speading more processed on it.... Horses did fine, they stayed in the barn and ate.... All things considered we made out ok. The storms was not as bad as predicted. It went slightly to the west of it....Made for more rain, but less wind.... Alls well that ends well....

Here are a few shots of the camper.......That branch and 2 others cam from about 80 feet up......2 went thru the roof....Roof was $8500 to replace so they totaled it..... I've got more shots of the trees down on the driveway but not sure where I put them on this system....will find them at some point. Nice to be able to get back on the internet again......

George....CT

thanks for checking in!
Nice to hear the insurance covered the camper. Our best to you:)

had any power either..... As you know, no joy in running off a generator but its way better than no power. If the tree's had not taken down the internet and phone wires I would have been up with the generator. Pretty well regulated even for tech stuff.....Plenty of wood to cut up for next year on the ground. My wife Jane had been asking for more small jumps on the trails....Plenty of them now..... Hope things are going better for you guys out there on the West coast and BC. This has been a crazy year, from big snows, lots of heavy rain, lot of heat and now that one storm. We have had them later in the year here,but weather is changing pretty fast now. the less heat it can get the better off we are....Even see some leaves changing now...... Hope its a snow less winter.....

Take care.... George-CT

n/t

a snow less winter also. Seen enough of it in my life and don't subscribe to the "winter wonderland" cutesie stuff any more:biggrin:
Last time we had a power outage i got an email from a friend asking if i was using my "smart phone" to send him emails? I said no, i had the generator running and the phone lines were still up for DSL if you had power to run the modem/router.
This old cowboy is NOT gonna use a smart phone and get dinged more money by the phone company! Up here the phone companies just rape and plunder when it comes to cell phones and mine is used only for important or emergency calls.

We are in the middle of an historic heat wave here after a summer that never was. Now if it stays this way until,December then warms up a bit i won't have to use much wood :clsoedeyes:
I just had my first experience with getting firewood via heavy equipment, a friend has a Bobcat with forks. Lift the logs to waist height to cut blocks then by the bucket to move the blocks to the splitter, then bucket the split wood into the truck. It about spoilt me! Now if that bucket could stack...........:biggrin:

Much like you, I used to enjoy the snow or at least make the best of it, with snow mobiles etc....Now its just makes chores harder to do. None of it would be my new idea of winter. Fact, 68 degrees. 3 mph breeze out of the south would finish the dream of a nice winter.... Yeah, I had power, but with the lines gone, no way unless I was wireless. To pricey for that.... I don't have a cell phone, but my wife does...She carries it while out horse back riding. Useful tool but not cheap. I avoid phones for the most part. I use the backhoe part to pick the logs up waste high to cut to save the back also..... My new secret weapon is to have a bunch of it out by the wood spliiter to be split and have my son have his friends over for few drinks and cookout. They still think its fun to split it with the hydraulic splitter and stack.....A key of beer, box of burgers and they make one heck of a dent in it..... Hey, we got to be innovative in our old age...

I see you guys have been having nice weather, My buddy lives in LaCenter Washington and he says its really nice now. What he wanted all summer and never got. This is my favorite time of the year, but it goes down hill from here.......

George-CT

sent one to a Therapeutic Riding Hospital in Canton. Mass. Really nice place for horses and people. We had a really nice calm, do nothing wrong quarter horse, Cherokee, and we had her on a lease to a young girl in this state. With school starting again, her parents would not allow her to keep her over the winter and she could no longer work there to pay the boarding fee's. So we were getting her back when we saw the hospital vet checking out another horse at the barn that rides and drives. That have a lot of test they have to see if the horses will work for them as they put people on them from hangers, wheel chairs etc so they need a pretty layback animal. Cherokee is that. We heard from them twice now and said he is working out fantastic. They have 10 horses there at all times and had lost a couple of them over the summer. Its a donation, and if he don't work out, you can take him back or if they no longer need him you have the option of taking him back. Our barn is full now, fact my daughter is moving her Thoroughbred to a barn across the street from us with the indoor. She likes to ride all winter and that provides the option. Being right across the street from us, she can also ride our trails until the snow fly's. Once it gets icey, its all over to spring.
Riding is great here now, bugs are leaving, weather is perfect, leaves are starting to drop on maples and its the time of the year to be out there. Jane will be happy to have Heidi close by for the winter. Its a long drive for Heidi, but here, they do it all, feed and clean where at the barn she was at it was self care and you had to be there every day. They have a ring also at that barn but they run a big lesson program all winter there so the regular boarders don't get much ring time.
Here she pretty much has to it to herself and the owner. Less indoors around here now. They claim, in the entire state that lost over 300 big barns or indoors.
I know of 8 within 20 miles of me. Here's hoping we have next to no snow this winter..... Like Wayne said, the cute part of it has long since gone.

George-CT