Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

((((Air Test AT Pro))))

jimmyjiver

[size=large]Hi,:wiggle: I'm wondering if I got a bum AT Pro??:shrug:?? Sometimes it's HOT and sometimes it's NOT..:rant:.. I don't change but it seems that the machine does..:rage:..(question????) Can someone air-test a clad U.S. dime with sensitivity set at 7/8 in pro mode and the ground balance set at 80 plus set it to zero discriminate and report your results?..:drool:..I get about 7-8 inches which is not even close to what John-Edmonton reports that he gets........ I wonder why??:shrug:??....Thanks....JJ[/size]

I was using a silver Canadian dime, which will give you some more depth capabilities. Which mode are you in...Pro or standard? How close is the coin to the coil? Are you dead center? Any fluorescent lights in the house? Try increasing your swing speed, which will give you more depth. I was wearing the headset, and am reporting first repeatable audio sounds, not obvious loud audio.

[size=large]Hi John,,Thanks for your insight....I was in pro mode and I was trying a Canadian dime too with the same results...Yes I was dead center etc..No fluorescent lights in the house...I get 7-8 inches repeatable high & mid tone sound......Is mine not right? If yours is getting that much depth do you want to sell it??????? Thanks...JJ[/size]

I just done the test for you with your settings. I get a sound at 10" and a correct ID starting at around 9". This was done outside with no headphones on.

No, I don't want to sell it. :lol: I was whipping that dime pretty fast under that coil and noting the depth at the first repeatable whisper. I am used to hunting with detectors with the slightest change in threshold, digging such targets and sometimes getting great finds. As you keep pulling the target away from the coil, there comes a point where the high audio or VDI numbers start becoming less accurate with their discrimination abilities. Often times a silver coin will read as iron at great depths, with a quieter sound. The AT Pro is designed to give softer signals on deeper targets in Pro mode, unlike the standard mode which amplifies the deeper targets so you hear them. The only detector that I am aware of which maintains accurate discrimination to depth is the Garrett Infinium, where it will read low-hi on a gold ring down to 15+ inches until the audio fades out.

Try your test one more time and listen for those faint repeatable signals. They are probably there.

It works fine with normal use so have not sent in to Garrett.It is so extremely hot on tiny micro gold jewelery that I decided to keep it just like it is:thumbup:

Increase sweep speed and get away from anything electrical. Lights in the house are even bad.

Hi....I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for taking the time to run an air-test for me...I would like to also say thanks to everyone that responded with suggestions in an attempt to help me out....I tried all of your suggestions with little or no depth increase,, so I guess that I have a bum one....Thanks....JJ

In spite of all of the pitfalls with air tests I still do them. I even made a simple machine to make the process more precise. Just be aware that the surrounding environment will make pretty significant changes in the outcome. I was building a detector last summer and was not getting good test results at all. Detector was working but not getting the great numbers that others were and I have a quiet location. or so I thought. As it turned out, the AC/DC converter in my travel trailer which was parked outside my workshop was putting out lots of EMI and this affected the tests. Unplugging the RV from all power, improved my air tests by about two inches!

With all of the pitfalls, air tests still have their use. If you can only detect quarter at two of three inches from the coil or worse yet, not detect it at all, you have a problem. I would not worry about any test that is somewhat in the ball park of what others have got. Your detector is probably working OK.

I will probably have a try at duplicating John's test results and can probably come very close with the location I have but what I would really, really like to duplicate is some of the fantastic finds that he comes up with. Which just shows that there is a lot more involved than just the detector :)

Jerry

Hi Jerry...Yeah I know the AT Pro is prone to worst kinda EMI which is silent EMI...It makes the AT Pro blindsided......Thanks for your comment...JJ

Hi Jimmy. Unfortunately some EMI appears at the same part of the VLF spectrum as the At Pro operates in. I was at a sports complex yesterday where some areas I had so much chatter that I had to back off two or three bars to quiet it down. Other areas I could run wide open. Actually most of the areas I hunt I can run wide open. I prefer having more gain than I can use and just run it to where conditions will permit. Just my take on it.

Almost forgot. At one area with all the chatter, I dug three quarters that were right about the speaker hole on the Propointer in depth, and there was very heavy, thick grass so that the coil even when brushing the grass was two or three inches above the actual ground level. This would make 8 to 9 inches from coil to coin while swinging and I was getting faint high tones with a consistent 86-87 reading.

Hey, Air tests have never been precise and what the detector can really do in the field. You can't ground balance in the air and that will effect any detector that air tests at 10 inches and visa versa. You didn't get a dud and if you get 8 inches on air tests that proves it to me. If you couldn't get it to get better than 5 or 6 inches then there might be a problem. Air tests are deceiving and have a lot of other factors that may cause your 8 inch results. Placement of the target and size and speed of your pass can effect your results as well as EMI/RFI interference. Find a EMI/RFI eliminator at your local computer store and attach it closest to the plug on the control box and see if it helps. HH, Woodstock