Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Air Test ? - Racer 2

CCadrin

I just received a used (3 weeks old) Racer 2 and I want to make sure that there are no issues. I quickly did a couple air test and the max in DEEP mode was 10" or just a little more. None of my test made it passed 10" (quarter, dime, penny, nickel) and but I may have EMI in my yard since the detector got a little chatty. I have been reading thru the manual to learn the settings but I did not spend enough time to look for the optimal settings.

So here are my questions:
1) Is an air test a valid test for this machine?
2) What were your results and what were your basic settings (mode, gain, etc)?

In my test garden in mineralize soil, it struggled to hit 8 inch coins (the nickel and quarter sounded, the penny and dime I didn't).

Another test I did was to take it to the salt water beach with wet black sand. It was very quiet. I don't know what type of depth but I was amazed how quiet it ran. I only spent 10 minutes on the test because I went looking for gold using a CTX.

Any comments will be appreciated.

1) If you can air test a coin at 10" there is no problem with your detector.

2) I have not really done any air tests to speak of so sorry I can't help you there other than to say an air test at 10" is good no matter what detector you use. What I will say is the Racer 2's strength is not so much in depth as it is in the ability to unmask good targets others will miss. I would compare the performance much to that of the AT Pro as far as general use. The Racer 2 is a great all-around machine that, in my opinion, excels at relic hunting. It also make a great gold machine. Other than that it is generally a great detector for coin shooting but not much better than the AT Pro or any other mid-range machine. Just not a depth monster say like the E-Trac/CTX.

Depth isn't everything. In Texas clay I would challenge most all to want to dig in a yard deeper than 10 inches. Seperation is the key. I have saw this machine pull 5 old coins out of a very trashy hunted out yard when the V3I, dues, at pro, vaquero could not.Ease of use is another advantage.

You have a good machine I have air tested and kept notes on every detector I have ever owned..it gives me a idea about/confidence in the metal detector I am testing....My R2 on factory setting with stock coil hits a dime at 10-1/2 to 11-1/2 inches solid...have found coins and bullets at 7 to 9 inches with good solid tone...so I know it will hit deeper than that..its very fast and loves coins hope this helps. HH. joe