Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Air Travel with a Metal Detector

Aurium

I'm just curious if anyone on the forum travels by air with their Metal Detector. I'm interested in how you pack, do you insure it, do you take it as a carry on? I would like to take mine on some business trips, but not sure if it's really worth the risk of losing it.

I have it in my carry on. Have not had an issue yet. I usually pack the rods, batteries, and misc. items in my luggage. The head unit and coils go in my carry on.

Haven't had a problem, go to England once a year and like the other posters,main unit in carryon, everything else in checked in baggage...good luck, Jim

Thanks for all the input, I decided to cut some foam and insert the main unit, and the coil into the carry on. And since I was traveling to a place with no frost I've been able to get out for the first time with my new V3. My first experience with the new toy was a pleasurable one for sure, I found a few coins
and a "diamond" ring. I'm not sure it's a real diamond as the ring has "gold" peeling off it. But it was a surprise nonetheless. The thing I struck most by this machine is it's relative ease with deep targets. I'm not used to finding stuff deep, and the digging is a bit more painstaking, I can see how a pinpointer would be very useful for deep targets as the targets seem to always be at the side of the hole for me. (some miscellaneous coins, oh and one wheatie..yay!) I'm fairly certain this park has silver in it, but I doubt I'll get the chance to hit it again.

Now if we could just make the seats bigger, and the legroom on the airplanes a bit less like medieval torture I might enjoy flying again.

Good Work. You make it look easy ;-)

Jerry

Here are links for information on Lithium Ion batteries and Aircraft travel

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.htm

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

By the way you don't have to carry your batteries in a separate checked bag. I was initially concerned about this as the rechargables are NiMH which don't have lithium, so they pass through no problem. I was able to hit a couple more parks on this last business trip, and did ok, no silver yet, but I did find one tree that had 60 pennies in about a two foot area by the base of that tree, my back was sore from picking em up. And they were mostly zincs, I'm going to have to change my posting name to the "zinconator". And one other thing those zinc pennies don't handle lawn fertilizer well at all some of them had holes corroded right through them, and they were pretty new coins.