Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

airlines and metal detectors

woffie

In a week I will be flying Southwest Airlines and then American Airlines. I would like to take my detector and long handled scoop as a carry on. Does anyone have any information on whether or not I will be able to do so or should I call the airlines before I leave and find out?
I won't be at a place where it would be an option of leaving them behind if I get denied.
I wouldn't even think about checking them for fear of having both broke in have by luggage being tossed it on top of them.
Thanks in advance,
Woffie

It has to be checked,you can not carry it on.the airlines may approve it but TSA could deny it.Also check the country you are going to to see if they allow them there.Some Europian countrys do not.

Chris

I respectfully disagree with speedblu. I just came back from the Bahamas and took my Excalibur with me. My flight originated from Portland, Oregon. I probably had to go through TSA checkpoints 8 times between Portland and the Bahamas and back. Had my Excalibur broken down in my carry on and my sand scoop in four pieces, built it that way, also in the carry on. Never had anyone inspect the carry on. It just went through the x-ray and into my hands. A couple of time they unzipped the carry on and swabbed it with a cloth to check for nitrates from gunpowder. They never even asked me what was in it.
I carried the disassembled Excal shaft in a long slender bag with two stunt kites. They asked about that every time but never looked into it. I took a small jar of peanut butter and stuffed it inside my sand scoop. They saw that and confiscated it. They weren't worried about the scoop or the detector but saw the peanut butter container inside the metal scoop. Can't carry more than 3oz of liquid....or cream, or paste, or anything that is not a solid. I took them literally for liquid meaning liquid. They weren't nasty about it. Just realized it was an honest mistake.
I don't think they will let you carry a totally assembled sand scoop. Just a WAG about that. It could be used as a weapon like a baseball bat or something. Until you have tried to pack your shaft into something, I have the original shaft, you'll find that it is pretty long and may not fit any luggage you have. Check on that long before you leave so you can find something else.
Have a nice trip and let us know what you find. Regards...Jim.

Your right,Sorry My problem was Northern Europe.I had to ship it to my Father in law.and customs there are different than the Caribbian or Bahamas.you can back pack it to Bahamas. I would check my scoop though.Just me:)
Chris

Last year as carry on. Had it broken down in a duffel with a scoop and my camera gear. Flying out of Long Island, they opened the bag and looked at everything and swabbed it all. Took only a few minutes. On the way back leaving from Orlando, they just sent it right thru the scan. No problems... Just leave yourself a few extra minutes in case you run into someone that has never seen that type of equipment.
Regards,
Keith

Thanks for all the input. I don't have a handle on my scoop that can be broken down. Guess I'll have to try to find someplace to make me one before I go.
Thanks again,
woffie

As a check in...wow! On our trip they only allowed one check-in. An additional was $25. Then I'd worry about some of the less scrupulous might take it home. Was told that you are pretty safe from theft while in the US. Traveling outside the US is a bit more risky. Regards...Jim

I made a case out of a hard case for a sawsall, with the 2 piece travel shaft for my Excal. and a 2 piece scoop it fits in the carry on area of the plane. I have used it on a cruise ship also. I put the manual for the unit right on top so if any questions arise they can see for themselves. I lined both sides of the case with foam for protection. Just make sure you unhook your battries from the unit while traveling. Here is a pic. HH

[attachment 95809 addon.jpg]

PaPa-Joe-Fla. said:
I made a case out of a hard case for a sawsall, with the 2 piece travel shaft for my Excal. and a 2 piece scoop it fits in the carry on area of the plane. I have used it on a cruise ship also. I put the manual for the unit right on top so if any questions arise they can see for themselves. I lined both sides of the case with foam for protection. Just make sure you unhook your battries from the unit while traveling. Here is a pic. HH

[attachment 95809 addon.jpg]

Nice Compact set-up there PaPa

Looks real good to me. I'm gonna have to figure out how to cut my scoop handle off to make it a two piecer. I'm sure that's the way to go and then just pack all in my luggage.

woffie

woofie...look at the post I put up a bit ago about my home built sand scoop. It might give you and idea how to modify yours. You'd have to find some aluminum with the outside diameter just a bit less than the inside diameter of your existing handle. I'd have it go about 4" into each section, a total of 8" in length, and then drill holes straight through both ends of the handle tubes. The easy way to make sure the drilled holes align is to drill them where you want them first on the handle. Slide the tube down the inside and tape it in place. Then drill the hole through the insert using the holes in the handle as a template. Drill one. Turn it 180 degrees and do the other. That way you don't have to have a drill press or worry about the drill bit going exactly perpendicular to the handle. Bolt it together when you get there. Regards...Jim