Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

All-metal mode and nulling

yogaguy

Hi All. I just wanted some opinions from people on this forum about using all-metal versus some discrimination. I would like to tinker around with the all-metal mode when I head up to the farm next month, but I know about the barrage of tones you can get from this mode, especially in high trash areas. But I've also learned that with discrimination comes the "nulling" of targets, (and with the quattro's "slowwwww" recovery time on targets this could be a real pain). I usually have to go very, very slow with the coil to have the machine recover before moving on with the machine. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me, if I used all-metal mode can I move the coil at a faster rate? Not real fast, but I mean at a more moderate pace? Thanks all. Sincerely, Randy

Hi Randy, I use all-metal with ferrous tone and it is still a very very slow process. A smaller coil will help more than anything. Also you probably know but lower your sensitivity. Ok happy hunting and God Bless.

John Tomlinson,CET:detecting:
John's Detectors

Hi John. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I guess there is no real way around the slow coil movement. But I guess as long as I'm finding stuff speed isn't everything then. Take care. Sincerely, Randy

I certainly concur with Wirecheif on lowering the sens, maybe, and absolutely using a smaller coil to get quicker and more precise pinpointing, maybe not as deep, but not to bad. The other thing is you may want to go into the fast sweep mode, on the Quatro, I can't remember how to set it, cause I never use it, but it should give you quicker recovery time, if you really feel you need that. I don't have that much of an issue with the sweep time, but I can understand if your a "power user", and really want to move quick, it could drag you down. Good luck on all this and happy hunting. Also, I'm not "sure" if all metal is quicker on recovery time or not, but you certainly get a lot more info on whether to dig a target or not. Good luck. Marc.

Yea, yogaguy, if you can stand the slower sweep recovery speed on the low setting, you should get more accuracy on your readings. I know you can set it on high, but you'll loose some accuracy doing that. If you have a lot of trash, I'd recommend the smaller coil. I have a 5 inch that separates trash like you can't believe, and goes fairly deep. The trade off is of course the slight lack of depth and the fact that you can't cover nearly as much ground, per sweep, as a bigger coil. Marc.

Your welcome Randy and I have no doubt that you have a fine instrument in your hands. You just have to have more time than the fellow using a single frequency fast recovery unit. Beachguy has good experience with the Quattro too and has good info to share with us. But the 5.5" coil made by SunRay is a wonderful addition to your machine! Ok Randy hope to hear about those good finds coming your way and God Bless.

John Tomlinson,CET:minelab:
John's Detectors

Yogaguy, I've tried the high trash density option several times and just never felt comfortable with it for any length of time. Recently I went to a friends house to detect the yard. I had forgotten that the high density option was selected and the separation between targets was the best I've ever seen. Coins read a little different than normal. Initially I thought the difference was the soil condition. What a surprise when I discovered the high trash density was selected apparently selected from the previous outing. Now I can be in a high trash area and use the high trash density, go a little faster and understanding that the reading is not perfect or switch to low trash density, go slower, have a more accurate reading.

One other thing that I posted earlier, is to consider not use headsets in high trash areas if you want to retain your sanity. Of course this is using the all metal mode which is the best way to use the Quattro.