Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ALL METAL MODE QUESTIONS

dgsdowell

Hey everybody, when I am hunting for coins with stock coil in all metal mode, am I gaining any depth in that mode? Do most of you use the patterns and trust the machine when it does'nt find anything? I have yet to find a single silver coin, have found 2 silver rings, and half a big coffee can full of clad, on my second set of batteries. On occasion I get a faint high signal in all metal mode, ID says 46, i swing from other direction and nothing, back to original side and faint signal again. Curiousity made me dig on one occassion and around 12" deep I was surprised to find a pistol cap gun cylinder, the kind where you reload with the ring of plastic caps. Made me wonder what I had passed up with other faint signals I never dug, because I have never found a coin or jewelry that didnt give off a good sharp hit. Just wondering if a coin, say a silver quarter was down around 8 or 10 inches, it would give off a really sharp hit would'nt it? The thing is murder on pennies, but I have quit digging them until I find my first silver, my clad is right on the edge on dates, late sixties, the weather has kept me close to home, mostly hunting yards around my nieghborhood, and I have some nice older places lined up for good weather, Already finding over a roll or weaties, I would suspect a couple of silver dimes. So question, Am I going to skip over or lose some depth in a pattern just accepting silver??? Or will the machine X70 hit hard when I do finally cross paths with some silver? TIA

when I first started this hobby back in 1999. I had never detected before and no one had ever shown me how to use the machine I had bought which at the time cost me an arm and a leg. I was so frustrated and such a noob I thought I was doing everything wrong. Then one day after nearly 4 weeks of detecting lots of bullets and junk I found my first peice. The detector I was using at the time was a PI machine from minelab and the discrimination was minimal. With you detecting in all metal at least you will hit every target possible which has its good sides and bad. It's only a matter of time before you find your 1st silver! Dig every target, you wont regret it when you finally uncover that amazing old silver coin that was waiting for someone like you to unearth it!
Cheers!

I do believe that adding more discrimination has an adverse effect on depth of detection. And, deeper (or smaller) targets will not provide as "loud" of audio signal as larger, shallow targets. In my opinion, when operating in Pattern modes, the more notches you set to reject, the more depth you will lose. The only detector I've ever owned that didn't seem to lose depth when advancing the discrimination is my Advantage. As to why it don't is still a mystery to me!

If you are finding that many Wheat pennies, you'd think there would be some silver dimes. Wheat pennies hit on my X-70 / stock 9-inch concentric at 7.5 kHz at a TID of 34, 36 or 38. Silver dimes will also hit on 36 and 38, with a rare 40 tossed in just to keep us on our toes! Clad dimes also hit in the range of silver dimes. Keep in mind that TID readings will vary according to the specific target, coil frequency and ground conditions. Oh, and let's not forget depth. TID is pretty accurate at 6-inches or so. But when you start trying to ID dimes at 7 or 8-inches, TID isn't something I would rely on to make my "dig or not" decision.

My best guess is that the reason you aren't finding any dimes in the places you are hunting is either because you haven't swept the coil over them, or they are so deep you just ain't getting there! How deep are the Wheat pennies and the clad dimes? What coil are you using? How many notches have you rejected? HH Randy

Try this:

Gain: 28

Tones: 2 or 3

Set disc to reject everything below -2

Run in all metal and check the targets in disc.

Everything in the -2 and below will give you the low tone while everything else will be higher

Also turn on the Fine VDI (plus sign on display)

I guarantee that if you walk over a Merc up to 10" deep its gonna blow your headphones off!

Good Luck!

I think you just haven't passed the coil over a silver coin yet. I hunted a yard with a buddy about a year ago and we were there all day, because we were finding wheat pennies and he stated that there had to be some silver coins around. We hunted most of the day and found over a hundred coins between us before we finally found silver coins. My buddy found a 1918 merc dime and about 5 minutes later I found a 1958 rosy dime. Since then we have found several silver coins in that same yard including an 1892 barber dime I found after we have been in there probably 20 times. It was only about 2-3" deep and I just think we had not passed over the area or didn't get a solid lock on signal. It bounced around some when I went over it, but decided to dig since the targets were scarce that day.
I'm a firm believer now and when I hunt and start finding wheat pennies, I dig just about every signal that sounds off and repeats itself.
I hunted a yard last Sunday a found 8 wheat pennies with the oldest one dated 1910.
Now I know there has to be a silver coin in there, but I just didn't go over it that day.
Last time I went in there I found 2 walking liberty halves, a 1943 quarter and an 1898 morgan dollar.
If you are finding wheat pennies, then that tells you two things. No one else has detected there and it is a good probability that silver coins are there too.
Don't get discouraged by not finding silver coins. If you are finding the wheaties then you should be able to pick up silver coins. Also it doesn't have to be deep to be old or silver. My two oldest coins (1861 half dollar and 1939 large cent ) were found only about 2" deep in a yard.
If you keep at it, you will start finding silver coins eventually.
Good luck,
Felix

Thanks,Thanks,Thanks, I have used 3 coils, 6" H, Stock, and 5x9 Eliptical H, No wheaties have been found over five inches, or clad dimes over four or five inches. I have tried in all three pre-programmed discrimination modes, I havent set any personal discrimination modes yet. The kicker in this story is one week before I recieved my X70 in the mail, My cousin had bought their 8 yr old son a 40 dollar detector for Christmas, Christmas day I was helping him learn to use it and helped him dig two Rosey Dimes a 61 and a 58. Pretty sure I got him hooked that day hehehe.
Thanks for all the help and advice, I am going to say that I just havent swung my head over a silver coin yet.

Horsesoldier wrote:

"Also turn on the Fine VDI (plus sign on display)"

Horsesoldier, can you please explain to me what this means and how you do it? Thanks alot!