Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

All metal mode ....

Willee - Texas

I see there are threads relating to all metal mode by pressing the horseshoe button.
But it has been explained that is not a true all metal mode.

Isnt the pinpoint mode a true all metal mode?
Why not just search in pinpoint mode if you want no discrimination and all metal?

Willee said:
I see there are threads relating to all metal mode by pressing the horseshoe button.

Isnt the pinpoint mode a true all metal mode?
Why not just search in pinpoint mode if you want no discrimination and all metal?

Give it a shot and tell us what you think.

I'm no expert, but here's my two cents:

First of all, when in pinpoint, yes the detector is sensitive to all metals, but when used to actually pinpoint a target, the pinpoint mode "masks" the response you get from the target by lowering the sensitivity as you sweep the coil back and forth.

Personally, I would worry that actually searching in pinpoint would adversely affect sensitivity.

Secondly, the "horseshoe" button will effectively set the detector in a mode to detect all metals. When you activate it, nothing is discriminated out.

That's what I would do if I wanted to detect in AM, and that's mostly what I do, but in conjunction with multi-tones. As a relic hunter, I want to know if there's a lot of iron in the ground, as Civil War campsites often contain more small iron in the form of nails, than good targets.

Hunting in AM with multi-tones (usually 50 tones), I get to hear the low "whump-whump" of small iron, intermixed with higher pitch (and Target ID numbered) potentially non-ferrous targets in the form of bullets, buttons, etc..

Detecting in AM with multi-tones also benefits when scouting for a new site; the sound of small iron is often the first hint you get that you're in, or near the site.

Again, I'm no expert, and am largely a lost ball in the high weeds when it comes to the intricacies of the Equinox. I know it is capable of far more than I understand, at least at my level of understanding.

Anyway, hope this helps. :thumbup:

Spot on Greg you know how to use the "all Metal" button to your advantage. There are a lot of opinions out there about all metal mode versus true all metal for all I know they might all be correct to some degree.
Keep kicking the ball around and we will get the tall grass stomped down LOL
HH Jeff

Some say the gold programs on the 800 are true all metal modes. The horseshoe is just zero discrimination still going through the filters.

That’s the only way I hunt now in all metal mode

I guess if I could have only one detector and needed to make it work well in all modes it would be a real challenge.
Using the proper tool for the job at hand is the best approach.
There are other "tools" that are better suited to All Metal Mode hunting.
Pulse Induction detectors might be the answer.

Willee said:
I guess if I could have only one detector and needed to make it work well in all modes it would be a real challenge.
Using the proper tool for the job at hand is the best approach.
There are other "tools" that are better suited to All Metal Mode hunting.
Pulse Induction detectors might be the answer.

I often watch "youtube" videos from detectorists in the UK where the users set their Equinox (s) on AM to dig Roman coins.

here is one of numerous, but be aware that he uses Iron Bias of 4, which may be a little too high for detecting in other grounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeki5pPEMaw

Willee said:

Isnt the pinpoint mode a true all metal mode?'

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

'But it has been explained that is not a true all metal mode'.

[size=x-large]UTTER CRAP[/size]

Of course it's a 'truthful' ALL METAL MODE....!!!!!!!

[size=x-large]It is a truthful AND INTELLIGENT ALL-METAL mode[/size]

Set it right, and it tells you the truth according to your choice of what is 'acceptable' and what is 'rejectable'.

When the NOX is 'horse-shoed', it reports [size=x-large]EVERY[/size] sensed target, in the tonal-pitch and volume level, chosen by You

..............................................​

If you want to hunt in pin-point mode, do so....and learn to metal detect the hard way.....(Or swap your NOX for a PI machine)

Hi,
instead of it being UTTER CRAP we have a simple misunderstanding here. The attached file is from the Equinox manual. It is called All-Metal. It is not called All-Metal Mode. That would be something entirely different. When you press the All-Metal horseshoe button any discrimination patterns are disabled so all metal objects are detected. You are still in whatever MODE you were in before you pressed the button like Park 1, Park 2, etc. No frequencies have shifted and no sensitivity has been gained or lost. When you press the All-Metal button again you are back to the original discrimination pattern in Park 1, Park 2 etc.

If I go to All Metal for example on my Fisher F19 the detector is in a completely different search MODE which is deeper because it uses much less filtering and has way less features. On my F19 there is actually a dual processor which helps separate Discrimination MODE and All Metal MODE. All Metal Mode has one tone which is Voltage Controlled Oscillation which is tied into the same circuit as the threshold tone. There is not even a numerical target ID. When I press the pinpoint button on the F19 in either discriminated mode or all metal mode the F19 is in all metal mode.

Unlike the F19, when you press the All-Metal button on the Equinox you will NOT get any more depth. You have NOT changed search modes. When you press the pinpoint button on the Equinox you are still in the same mode Park1, Park 2 etc but with no discrimination pattern and with a ratcheted sensitivity level that slowly decreases over the target you are pinpointing.

The only modes on the Equinox that are even remotely related to the All Metal Mode on my F19 are the Gold modes. Gold 1 and Gold 2 are so heavily filtered and feature rich (which is a really good thing!!!) that they are like extremely distant cousins to the true All Metal Mode on my F19.

If you want to get more depth when using the Equinox 600 you can max out the sensitivity and lower the recovery speed. If it is still not deep enough get the 15" coil. On the 800 do the same things as on the 600 but use Gold 1 or Gold 2

Greg (E.Tn) said:
I'm no expert, but here's my two cents:

First of all, when in pinpoint, yes the detector is sensitive to all metals, but when used to actually pinpoint a target, the pinpoint mode "masks" the response you get from the target by lowering the sensitivity as you sweep the coil back and forth.

Personally, I would worry that actually searching in pinpoint would adversely affect sensitivity.

[size=large]Sensible comment Greg; bercause, if you have auto-track ON, it may slowly 'track-out' that item you're working on ?.....matt[/size]

Secondly, the "horseshoe" button will effectively set the detector in a mode to detect all metals. When you activate it, nothing is discriminated out.

That's what I would do if I wanted to detect in AM, and that's mostly what I do, but in conjunction with multi-tones. As a relic hunter, I want to know if there's a lot of iron in the ground, as Civil War campsites often contain more small iron in the form of nails, than good targets.

Hunting in AM with multi-tones (usually 50 tones), I get to hear the low "whump-whump" of small iron, intermixed with higher pitch (and Target ID numbered) poExentially non-ferrous targets in the form of bullets, buttons, etc..

Detecting in AM with multi-tones also benefits when scouting for a new site; the sound of small iron is often the first hint you get that you're in, or near the site.

Again, I'm no expert, and am largely a lost ball in the high weeds when it comes to the intricacies of the Equinox. I know it is capable of far more than I understand, at least at my level of understanding.

[size=large]
Excellent...Exellent...Excellent...post Greg.......matt
[/size]

Anyway, hope this helps. :thumbup:
......JMc, please take note of Greg's post, for he isn't 'miss-understanding' the NOX's functionalities

Hi metalpopper,

I totally agree with you. Greg (E.Tn) is right on with his description of what happens when we press the All Metal horseshoe button on the Nox. He was also very careful not to mention that when you press that button you are using All Metal Mode. Laplander also made a clear distinction in his post.

Willee and a couple of others in this thread have used the words All Metal Mode or true All Metal Mode as describing what happens when the horseshoe button is pushed. I'm just trying to clear up a misunderstanding about the word MODE so users will kind of know what their Nox is really doing.

I'm a prospector. I have to know what my gold detectors are capable of as best I can. I have had to learn a lot, make mistakes and ask several experts regarding Gold 1, Gold 2, the horseshoe button and the pinpoint button. The Nox 800 is a fantastic gold prospecting tool and can unmask and separate targets, and give amazingly accurate information like no VLF prospecting detector I've ever used. However, I still carry a GPX 4800 for the possible deep stuff and a Makro Gold Kruzer since it DOES have a mode on it that is really close to true All Metal Mode and can hit the little gold bits that even the mighty Nox will miss.

Jeff

jmaclen said:
 Hi,
instead of it being UTTER CRAP we have a simple misunderstanding here. The attached file is from the Equinox manual. It is called All-Metal. It is not called All-Metal Mode. That would be something entirely different. When you press the All-Metal horseshoe button any discrimination patterns are disabled so all metal objects are detected. You are still in whatever MODE you were in before you pressed the button like Park 1, Park 2, etc. No frequencies have shifted and no sensitivity has been gained or lost. When you press the All-Metal button again you are back to the original discrimination pattern in Park 1, Park 2 etc.

If I go to All Metal for example on my Fisher F19 the detector is in a completely different search MODE which is deeper because it uses much less filtering and has way less features. On my F19 there is actually a dual processor which helps separate Discrimination MODE and All Metal MODE. All Metal Mode has one tone which is Voltage Controlled Oscillation which is tied into the same circuit as the threshold tone. There is not even a numerical target ID. When I press the pinpoint button on the F19 in either discriminated mode or all metal mode the F19 is in all metal mode.

Unlike the F19, when you press the All-Metal button on the Equinox you will NOT get any more depth. You have NOT changed search modes. When you press the pinpoint button on the Equinox you are still in the same mode Park1, Park 2 etc but with no discrimination pattern and with a ratcheted sensitivity level that slowly decreases over the target you are pinpointing.

The only modes on the Equinox that are even remotely related to the All Metal Mode on my F19 are the Gold modes. Gold 1 and Gold 2 are so heavily filtered and feature rich (which is a really good thing!!!) that they are like extremely distant cousins to the true All Metal Mode on my F19.

If you want to get more depth when using the Equinox 600 you can max out the sensitivity and lower the recovery speed. If it is still not deep enough get the 15" coil. On the 800 do the same things as on the 600 but use Gold 1 or Gold 2

100% accurate.