Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

All metal or Disc?

For coin and jewelry hunting
I'm a bit curious as to which may be the better of 2 modes to use. I typically hunt in disc but turn the knobs all the way down and dig everything, that's just the type of hunter I am.

Does the All Metal mode go deeper than the disc mode even though I am not running any disc? I know this question is a bit vague but I am curious if it's worth the extra effort learning to hunt in all metal mode.

Yes, all metal is deeper but hunting in disc mode with no discrimination is the same. In Disc mode the target passes through a series of filters and what you wind up with is an audio discrimination. However, if you have VDI (visual discrimination indicator) then you can see what you are discriminating based on the conductivity of the target. You will "hear" the disc take place as well as see it. Depth is relevent to the situation you are hunting in. Obviously if you are in a situation where you can use little or no discrimination then the targets are farther apart and much deeper. If you are in an area where there is a lot of trash and you have to use discrimination then depth is not as important as target separation. I always describe it as the difference between painting a house vs. a portrait. You wouldn't use a 4" paint brush to paint a portrait and you also wouldn't use a fine tipped artists brush to paint a house. However, you would use a 2" brush to paint the trim which is what you are doing. Your settings are fine. Good luck!

Hi Algie:drinking:

I have hunted in all metal in a clean area, and listen for the faint repeatable signal, then flip to disc and check it
All metal definitely goes deeper, These are the kind of signals you would never find in disc alone

Timmy :drinking:

My best depth up here has been with Disc and have had cases where when I go all metal to pinpoint I get no signal or so weak I can not pinpoint. Could be my hearing, but I can hear that threshold tone change in disc better then the threshold of all metal change. Also if you are park or ball field hunter there is way too much trash to run in all metal as you wont get very far checking each signal in disc as you will probably get 10 to every sweep of the coil. In disc you will have to swing the coil slower because of the nulling of iron to hear the good targets that are close to iron.
Some I hear like the all metal for some areas, but for park, schools and ball fields where many coins and ring are laying with the trash I think it would be impossible to do.

tulare tokens said:
Hi Algie:drinking:

I have hunted in all metal in a clean area, and listen for the faint repeatable signal, then flip to disc and check it
All metal definitely goes deeper, These are the kind of signals you would never find in disc alone

Timmy :drinking:

Hey Timmy,

Funny meeting you here ;)

So in your opinion All Metal is deeper then? This is what I have been hearing from many of experienced Sovereign users. I could see AM not always being the best mode to hunt in depending on trash etc. I have been tempted to try it out and see where it lands me but wanted to make sure it was worth it.

Do you have any idea on the average what the depth advantage may be in AM?

Can you explain what you mean by the two modes being the same on the Sov? In disc mode your knocking out small iron at the lowest setting and you get a broad target signal but in all metal you indeed get signals on all metals and the target signal is much more defined and not nearly as broad.....unless your talking about the GTs all metal tracking mode which is also a broad signaling mode.

Thanks,
Neil

You would probably be best to try this for yourself and see how it works for you, as you can see opinions vary on which mode is deepest.

Simply hunt in each mode and test it by switching over to the other mode and see if you can get the target.

Ive found the all metal mode to be deeper but there isnt that sweet tone ID you get from the disc mode, and the dissc mode is nice and deep as it is so, your choice!

Neil

Detectors in general does not apply to BBS/FBS.
You do not lose depth with more discrimination like you do with other detectors....only targets that are below the disc setting. The reason is that the detector uses audio discrimination....it simply turns off audio to reject a target. This is unlike the detectors that use phase discrimination, and comletely lose targets that are disc out.....and lose depth with increased disc.

Sovs always detect all targets in both disc and all metal...the only difference is that in disc mode, the audio gets shut off for discriminated out targets.

As for depth between am and disc, it depends on how the detector is set up and how well each mode handles the ground. You can have a little more depth in disc mode in some places and a whole lot more in am in other places. This is something you have to find out for yourself at different locations and under different conditions.

HH