Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

All minelab Pi users lets test your mashines how deep they are

stasys

Hello all Pi Minelab users, I have strange request, I would like to ask all of you who use any Minelab Pi model detector to make air test with steel bearing balls, any size from 5mm to 15mm, in the post write Minelab model, steel ball size and distance from coil. Thank you all in advance Stasys

Because most steel bearing balls in the world is the same and ball are round-perfect target for test. People from every side of he world can repeat the same experiment with the same size bearing ball on their detectors and compare.

The consistency does make sense, but not everyone has steel balls laying around.
How deep a target can be picked up in the air is much different than in the ground, especially when dealing with some of the minerals say in Arizona, USA
or in most places in Austrailia. What can be air tested to a decent distant can almost be 0 distance in very bad ground.
With that said there are many videos on the net that will give you an idea of the depth on small targets.
A US 25 cent piece can be seen fairly easy in moderately mineralized ground at 14" (about 35 or 36cm) with the stock 11" DD coil even with the gain down to about 5
on my GPX4800. With the commander 12"x15" coil that same quarter can be detected with the gain on 1.
Larger targets like a small jar of coins can be detected at much greater distances. I have a piece of lead 24" deep in my yard that is about 3" in diameter that is easily heard with
the stock DD coil even when on lower sensitivity settings.

I know about air test limits, but to check the same or different detector in air with some sort standardize target is very helpful, or you think my idea out of logic? :laugh:

The idea is out of logic Stasys ...simply because Minelab PI's air test badly. You need un-dug undisturbed ground to 'hold ' the signal together.

You will also know that some VLF's airtest very well, but give much shallower signals in the ground, due to poor ground balance circuitry etc. yet others that don't airtest as well actually give a much deeper or clearer response on undug signals in comparison.

argyle said:
The idea is out of logic Stasys ...simply because Minelab PI's air test badly. You need un-dug undisturbed ground to 'hold ' the signal together.

You will also know that some VLF's airtest very well, but give much shallower signals in the ground, due to poor ground balance circuitry etc. yet others that don't airtest as well actually give a much deeper or clearer response on undug signals in comparison.

Yes out of logic if you believe you can get deeper in the ground then in air on any detector! Argyle never try air testing- its very dangerous :blowup:

You will always detect deeper in in-dug ground with a PI.

Air testing for headphone range is okay ...and not very dangerous ....but all other air testing is just plain stupid.

argyle said:
You will always detect deeper in in-dug ground with a PI.

Air testing for headphone range is okay ...and not very dangerous ....but all other air testing is just plain stupid.
I can agree that most Air test without standardized target are stupid, but to compare detectors in distance and understand what depth you can get on different Minelab PI is Ok.
Argyl do you have Pi detector? Can you make do simple test with metal ball?

Hi Stasys.

Yeah I have a few Minelab PI's.. but I only airtest for headphone and amplifier compatability.

Some of the American made VLF's I have air test at twice the depth, which is ofcoarse reversed in ground.

There is really no point in airtesting the PI's, or benchtesting. What are you using your PI for and in what type of ground?

argyle said:
Hi Stasys.

Yeah I have a few Minelab PI's.. but I only airtest for headphone and amplifier compatability.

Some of the American made VLF's I have air test at twice the depth, which is ofcoarse reversed in ground.

There is really no point in airtesting the PI's, or benchtesting. What are you using your PI for and in what type of ground?

Hi Argyle, now I dont have any Pi detector, but I think for special situation I need one-maybe, or maybe not... because I detect in Europe and 99% in heavy iron, just dont know what to expect from different models-older vs. new. With VLF detectors I don't have much questions left and in certain situation they are not enough deep .