Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

All that for 1 Penny?

Ronk

Its been months since I've been on the forums and I noticed on lots of videos that people are using big
shovels these days and digging holes big enough to fall in just for a penny. Some of them still use a pinpointer
as well and still miss the spot. You would think with modern detectors and pinpointers and a screwdriver or small
trowel it should be fairly easy so they wouldnt have to dig a trench for 1 penny.
I guess Ive been away too long or forgot what Im digging for.
Ronk

Its been months since I've been on the forums and I noticed on lots of videos that people are using big
shovels these days and digging holes big enough to fall in just for a penny. Some of them still use a pinpointer
as well and still miss the spot. You would think with modern detectors and pinpointers and a screwdriver or small
trowel it should be fairly easy so they wouldnt have to dig a trench for 1 penny.
I guess Ive been away too long or forgot what Im digging for.
Ronk
Yep....A long handle shovel is the thing now.....it is also usually a wide blade ..... Good way to get detecting outlawed at most parks.
People frown at detectorist carrying shovels around in parks.

Yep....A long handle shovel is the thing now.....it is also usually a wide blade ..... Good way to get detecting outlawed at most parks.
People frown at detectorist carrying shovels around in parks.
I agree. I can see using a bigger shovel on a salt water beach but not in a park.
Even some of them were carrying enough digging tools to make a new highway.
They banned metal detecting in one of my local parks cuz people were digging big
holes and going away not filling them back in.
Ronk

It's like everything else,getting too complicated......most want to go out looking like they are geared up to fight off an alien invasion.I must look so archaic with my tiny draper shovel and old school detector.......I don't even use a pinpointer,still use those old fashioned things called eyes.😊

That home-depot shovel looks like it would dig a good hole. Nice long handle too. I have one very similar and it cuts really nice plugs
A few years ago i purchased a $100 high-dollar metal detecting shovel. Its built like a tank, way too short, and just collects dust now.
Its become my expensive back up shovel.
I cant imagine using a screwdriver down inside a deep dark hole.
I have a hard enough time seeing my digger o_O

A screwdriver for a 8" or 10" penny?
Video please!
I didn't say a screwdriver for any particular depth. I Have seen videos of those digging up fairly shallow targets that could of
been recovered with a 7 or 8 inch screwdriver or a small garden trowel. Instead they use shovels and dig fairly large holes thats
not needed. They even use Pinpointers after they dig a canyon..A beach or the woods or open areas is fine for large shovels but not in parks.
Ronk

Sadly, the era of coin probes and screwdrivers is pretty much over, as there are very few shallow targets left in hunted out parks. Newer machines also reach deeper, and you won't be retrieving a coin from 11" with a screwdriver.

Why wide bladed spades? They let you cut a bigger plug with less effort. And when digging for deep (ish) targets, you want a big plug, as it is less likely to kill the grass. I was on the fence about it myself, but gave it an honest shot, and now I'm a convert… Predator Phoenix FTW.

The only thing that still makes me frown at these youtubers (other than the fact that they routinely miss the very easy mark) is the fact that they tend to cut the plug on all sides. That's… not how you keep the grass green.

I have the Hurricane.
Same shovel as Phoenix, but a slightly longer "T" handle.
Built well, and I keep it as a spare.
I do prefer my 2 year old Lowes hardware store $25 narrow spade
It cuts a nice hinged plug, and surely wont last forever, but its dug a lot of holes in 2 years.

Im reluctant to use a screwdriver for fear of damaging a good coin. I do have a brass probe which could aid in locating a target in the shallow zone (2-6”) but the built in pinpointer in the machine is pretty dang good on the moderns.
I agree on 3 sided plugs but sometimes I have to cut four because if Im off its the intact side its hiding behind 😂

Most of my diggin is with my hand tools.
Usually I use a sharpened small mason trowel.
Cuts sod like butter. I cut a large half moon and flip it over.
Here's my assortment of diggin tools. They all come with me in the trunk. Conditions determine what I'll use. The trowel and my root digger. The modified screwdriver with the hooked end are my primary diggers. The little hand matox is awesome in the sand and gravel. Notice the big super magnetic on top. Found my best palladium big carat ring with it in the ice on the winter beach.
Paid for every machine I've ever bought.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1609159742270.jpg
    FB_IMG_1609159742270.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20200124_185245108.jpg
    IMG_20200124_185245108.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20200124_213455398.jpg
    IMG_20200124_213455398.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20200124_184132227.jpg
    IMG_20200124_184132227.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
You cant be carrying all that at once….. you would have to have a finds pouch by Sampsonite (with wheels). Lol
Where we currently spend most time hunting the grounds crews prefer us to dig “as small as possible” holes. I can, with little effort, dig back sideways without enlarging the cut. A couple times I’ve had to dig a rectangle because two targets being adjacent. Someone else has been digging holes 10-12” diameter for targets 3-5” deep and thats going to get us all banned.
I do like your arsenal tho, never enough firearms as they day……

You cant be carrying all that at once….. you would have to have a finds pouch by Sampsonite (with wheels). Lol
Where we currently spend most time hunting the grounds crews prefer us to dig “as small as possible” holes. I can, with little effort, dig back sideways without enlarging the cut. A couple times I’ve had to dig a rectangle because two targets being adjacent. Someone else has been digging holes 10-12” diameter for targets 3-5” deep and thats going to get us all banned.
I do like your arsenal tho, never enough firearms as they day……
Yup
All in my vehicle.
Never know which Gun you'll need. 🙂
I Always Carry the Carrot.
Primarily I carry the trowel and root tool as shown in the one pic for nice yards and parks.
I tapered and sharpened the edges of the trowel and hammered out the screwdriver into a type of creviceing tool. Great around roots.
When I have a hole where I missed the target.
I can dig sideways under the grass with it without opening the hole up more.
Upto 6-8" if need be.
And cuts through the toughest soils. Even gravel.
After retempering. I also case hardened it.
On the beach I didn't show my big sand scoop.
I hardly use it unless I'm in the water.
That little matox is Awesome digging in sand.
Sooo much faster.