Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Along the Waterfront..... The Diving Locker

Ron J

A few years ago, while dining in a small restaurant, I had been viewing multiple framed Photographs mounted on the walls, that were For Sale. One caught my eye, which I purchased. The photo was of a Cat, sitting in the front door of a Dive Shop in the snow, at Christmas time. Stated in lower corner marked Dockyard Cat - Gloucester Mass. Living 30 minutes from America's oldest fishing port, I have been to Gloucester a million times, but did not recall any Diving Locker?? Been to the Docks many times, viewing the fishing fleet, by land and Sea! Thirty minutes by Car, about an Hours ride by Sea, depending on what type of boat your in!
Months later, I happened to go along the Harbor, and stopped at the Gloucester Maritime Heritage Center. Been there before, but never walked down the sloping driveway, just viewed the old docks from my Suburban. On premises is a working Boat Shop, building mostly smaller Dory's by hand. There is also an old Marine Railway still active. At the time they were converting an old Fishing Dragger into a copy of the "Beaver". The original "Beaver" was the Ship, that became famous for what We all know as "The Boston Tea Party", when Locals got fed up with the British for too many Taxes, dressed like American Indians, boarded the Beaver, and tossed all the British Tea overboard in protest. Can you imagine, way back then, the nerve of the British to overtax the population?? :sadwalk: Hmmm, sounds familiar, but there are no Brits running our Gov't now..is there?? But that's another story...that should be for the Views Forum!!:devil:
Back to my story....While snooping around the Heritage Center, there on the lower level of the Museum, at the rear of the building, is the Diving Locker! Wow, I found the location by accident. This was around five years ago. I return there every year, to visit Paul Harling, the Curator, Only Volunteer, Story Teller, and Owner of the contents of The Diving Locker, cannot forget, Caretaker of THE Cat. This unique Museum is small, cramped into two rooms, almost every piece of Diving equipment imaginable, and then some! This Museum is also the self-acclaimed, Home, of the Manx Cat. No one "owns" the Manx, but Everyone knows who He is, and where He resides (and eats). The Cat, travels to his own content, may "reside" at the Heritage Center, or even the Local Bank, whom wish to "claim ownership", that is until The Cat, forgets his manners in etiquette or feels ill. Then the Diving Locker is suddenly the "True Owner" and is called to retrieve The Cat. This Cat is friendly, purrs to His content, and minds his own business!
By the way, a Manx Cat is born with NO Tail, and this guy is about 14 years old. Now this guy, Paul Harling is in his Seventies, a retired 30 plus year School Teacher, and Professional retired Diver himself.

Rj :usaflag:

What a great little treasure you found! Just from looking at a picture and musing about it...wonderful adventure this Life can be!:clapping:
Mud

Ron, thanks for sharing these stories with us!

There is a rich maritime history waiting for anyone who has an interest in learning about it.

Happy New Year Friend,

CJ